Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    I think the country has gone mad with these weather alerts. I appreciate the 3 days off work, but then everything is closed. Trains were running 30 mins late yesterday and there was only an inch or two of snow on the ground. Waited 20 mins for a LUAS. It was cold but can a LUAS not run properly in cold weather? Or is is just the drivers see snow and then ring in 'ah snowed in here, must be a good 2cm on the ground. cant get the car out'. There were an elderly pair beside me absolutely freezing waiting for it to come. Ridiculous.

Maybe where they lived there was more than 2 inches though. For example Lucan had around 5 inches the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Annoyingly yes. When asked to give a timeline on events, no mention of when it would arrive in the south, all about the east and Dublin.

What time is it to arrive in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

wakka12 wrote: »
    What time is it to arrive in dublin?

She said by 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Managed to get the drone up for a few mins yesterday before the wind attempted to take it very far away. East -> South Panorama over Firhouse

Full res https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=443803&stc=1&d=1519919283

443802.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Darwin wrote: »
    My elderly parents in Dublin have no water to their whole estate (and of course they made no provisions for bottled water). Some people from the council came along and tried to make repairs but left as the mains pipe was frozen solid. Really hope they don't lose their electricity overnight.

Where in Dublin are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Continuous light snow here.

Calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Any danger of parts of Dublin city missing out at this point (or more specifically the south side!)? Doesn't look like it from the radar forecasts but I am far from knowledgeable on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Darwin wrote: »
    My elderly parents in Dublin have no water to their whole estate (and of course they made no provisions for bottled water). Some people from the council came along and tried to make repairs but left as the mains pipe was frozen solid. Really hope they don't lose their electricity overnight.

hi Darwin what part of dublin is effected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Areas inland of S coastal Dublin in for another pasting. PPn strong enough to give a renewed dusting right on the coast here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anybody thinking the red warning might be extended beyond noon tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Wind is way up now in D3, light but consistent snow.

Its here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

bWFygG.jpg

Icicle here in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

The wind chill is f**king freezing in that gale. The French and the Welsh Mets have been saying that the ice rain is the worst problems. How come we haven't be warmed about ice rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

Guys, if you want to know what's coming, take a look at Emma hitting St. Ives on their webcam. It's so dark!

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/StIves4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Not a drop of snow in Limerick all day, pretty nice day actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Was it just me, or did he come across as having had a few too many at the airport bar?

Does he ever come across any other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

lolo62 wrote: »
    Where in Dublin are they?

Firhouse - my sister lives about 2 miles from them but she says the roads are lethal. I wonder if there is a general emergency number that can be rung (other than 999) for getting assistance to move from one location to another. No panic yet but nice if such a thing exists all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Any predict when the brunt will hit Dublin/Kildare area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm opening my balcony every few minutes to drip cold water on the railing trying to make an icicle. Cabin fever does weird things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Brilliant presentation by siobhán on RTÉ one just now
    At least an extra 25cms in the east maybe 30 or more
    Record breaking she said
    She’s also expecting a metre in the Wicklow mountains
    Not drifts actual amount of snow falling
    That will be 20 feet drifts plus
    Hmm 1982 like or very close wrt Wicklow Mtns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kod87 wrote: »
    Is she actually a meteorologist? I don't usually watch RTE weather forecast so I'm not sure who's who.

Yes she is fully qualified. Presents the main forecasts regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Plenty of action here, Ardee Co.Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

4 Minutes to the apocalypse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Siobhan Ryan on RTÉ 1, Joanna on the radio, Jean seen recently on tv, and Evelyn helping out with the government emergency committee. But Gerry Murphy is nowhere to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

patneve2 wrote: »
    Areas inland of S coastal Dublin in for another pasting. PPn strong enough to give a renewed dusting right on the coast here

Why do streamers regularly miss south east dublin city? Most seem to go north and the few that head to south dublin seem to skip over coastal areas and then become strong in west dublin and kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tempature dropping now again, was +1.3 now back to the - 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still snowing heavily here, this is gonna be a record breaker for me

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

revelman wrote: »
    There is a thread dedicated to the necessity (or not) of weather alerts. You can go there to complain. The snow fall so far has been extremely localized. In my area in the South Cork coast, we've already had more snow than 1982. Just because it looks one way outside your window doesn't mean it is the same elsewhere. Safety comes first.

Absolutely. But with these weather alerts they take the worst case / worst area scenario and apply it to the entire county. Dublin could and should have been perfectly able to operate as normal yesterday and today but didn't. Why? Because the snow was bad in isolated rural areas. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Peatys wrote: »
    'All time records' (since June 09)

Given it has apparently trumped anything in 2010 it is significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

T minus 2 minutes lads. Hope you've all got the hatches battened down or Leo the Lion won't be happy with ye

Advertisement