Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can only connect to Google sites

Options
  • 28-02-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭

having a weird issue for the last week where when I connect to Virgin Broadband it is only letting me connect to google sites like Gmail, Youtube and Google search and also here as well for some bizarre reason

tonight it is really bad as it would eventually return to normal after a router restart but it is like this several hours later

I have changed and flushed the dns but no change and also tried 2 other PC's but they experience the same issue also

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did you do (in command prompt); netsh reset winsock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah tried that as well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How is it not connecting? Is the DNS lookup failing, or something else is happening? Is there an error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the connection is timing out and more sites are able to connect now but still not great
    WiFi on my android phone has been OK during all this
    is it time to call Virgin?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it's all devices, it points to the router. Has that been restarted? Or even a factory reset?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Check you DNS settings, see if they are set to point to Googles DNS, 8.8.8.8 and next set 9.9.9.9 or use automatic. Failing that, can you access websites via IP address. It sounds like a computer DNS is routing name server requests incorrectly.

Advertisement