Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

A relatively ok day today in Dublin, one very light shower earlier. A bit of sunshine but mostly cloudy. Tbh I'm slightly disappointed at how the weekend went here, I expected more in the way of sunshine. Not much improvement for here in the reliable timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sunshine all day here in Wexford, about bloody time we had a full day of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Terenure seemed to have several showers from around 1pm onwards. Seemed very much hit-and-miss today.!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yet another dark and very wet day again,thought the weather was to improve,if anything its getting worse,ground is gone beyond saturation point at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yet another dark and very wet day again,thought the weather was to improve,if anything its getting worse,ground is gone beyond saturation point at this stage

Lovely sunny morning here at Grange after what was a pretty mediocre though not terrible weekend.

On the whole, it's going to be a rather quiet week with the west seeing the best of any dry weather 'til the weekend. Chance of some showers today as well as a band of light rain pushing into the west for a time tonight lingering in the east 'til tomorrow. England & Wales have a washout of a day with this rain just clipping the east but elsewhere, dry with some sunny spells but on the whole, cloudy and temperatures fairly close to average for the time of year though feeling cool in any cloud and rain.

The weather has improved statistically wise and it will continue to do so gradually. The ECM ensembles as well as the GFS ensembles all show a southeasterly flow for next week with high pressure to the east bringing in scorcher conditions - see MT's forecast.

No frost expected this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gorgeous day in East Galway
    It's been a grand spell since February apart from the snow ,:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice bright day again in Castlebar and 13C, besides a few spots of light drizzle it has been a lovely 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sweet day. Mild and strong air. YOU know! Just.. lovely. Listening to the ocean just past the garden.. and the skylark.. Bliss

Another meh day in Dublin with cloudy skies but some blue patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Horrible day here, downpour of hailstones earlier

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lovely sunny morning here at Grange after what was a pretty mediocre though not terrible weekend.

On the whole, it's going to be a rather quiet week with the west seeing the best of any dry weather 'til the weekend. Chance of some showers today as well as a band of light rain pushing into the west for a time tonight lingering in the east 'til tomorrow. England & Wales have a washout of a day with this rain just clipping the east but elsewhere, dry with some sunny spells but on the whole, cloudy and temperatures fairly close to average for the time of year though feeling cool in any cloud and rain.

The weather has improved statistically wise and it will continue to do so gradually. The ECM ensembles as well as the GFS ensembles all show a southeasterly flow for next week with high pressure to the east bringing in scorcher conditions - see MT's forecast.

No frost expected this week.

Well from reading the thread MT is predicting temperatures for Ireland up to 18c. Hardly scorcher conditions although, I suppose after the past few months temperatures, it may feel that way.

Well from reading the thread MT is predicting temperatures for Ireland up to 18c. Hardly scorcher conditions although, I suppose after the past few months temperatures, it may feel that way.

I think you're forgetting that we're in April, not July.

Scorcher conditions for April in my mind = 15c or more + unbroken sunshine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No I`m not forgetting but considering that past April temperatures in the low to mid 20`s c have been fairly commonplace, 18c is really nothing to get too excited about. Though of course it would be a huge improvement on what the past few months temperatures have been.

No I`m not forgetting but considering that past April temperatures in the low to mid 20`s c have been fairly commonplace, 18c is really nothing to get too excited about. Though of course it would be a huge improvement on what the past few months temperatures have been.

It really is. The highest in April 2017 was 18.7c and that was a day of unbroken sunshine, 12 grand hours of blue skies! As you'll find below, we were loving it including a proper BBQ weather comment from Gonzo :).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057711915&page=31

You'll find that many of the days of April 2011 in Ireland were between 12-18c and the odd occasion getting into 20c such as the 21st. Many of those days were clear and sunny, especially to the east of the country - the west wasn't as lucky. In the end, it was the warmest April on record.

Not to mention, once you get the correct wind direction such as a southeasterly along with the strong Spring sunshine, it doesn't take much for temperatures to rise high. 18c is just an average for what the models are currently showing. Also, it's all in FI so shouldn't expect much though 18c is a very high average. We should be seeing 12-13c at this time of year and 13-14c at the latter part of April on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It really is. The highest in April 2017 was 18.7c and that was a day of unbroken sunshine, 12 grand hours of blue skies! As you'll find below, we were loving it including a proper BBQ weather comment from Gonzo :).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057711915&page=31

You'll find that many of the days of April 2011 in Ireland were between 12-18c and the odd occasion getting into 20c such as the 21st. Many of those days were clear and sunny, especially to the east of the country - the west wasn't as lucky. In the end, it was the warmest April on record.

Not to mention, once you get the correct wind direction such as a southeasterly along with the strong Spring sunshine, it doesn't take much for temperatures to rise high. 18c is just an average for what the models are currently showing. Also, it's all in FI so shouldn't expect much though 18c is a very high average. We should be seeing 12-13c at this time of year and 13-14c at the latter part of April on average.

You'll be doing well you get anywhere near 18 degrees along the east coast in a southeasterly this April, with a water temperature of only 6 degrees. Haar and low cloud would most likely result, but even if it's clear that sea breeze would be icy cold. It still won't stop the skangers walking around with their shirts off and tucked into their grey Tommy Hilfiger shorts.

You'll be doing well you get anywhere near 18 degrees along the east coast in a southeasterly this April, with a water temperature of only 6 degrees. Haar and low cloud would most likely result, but even if it's clear that sea breeze would be icy cold. It still won't stop the skangers walking around with their shirts off and tucked into their grey Tommy Hilfiger shorts.

That's the bad thing about it for us easterners alright, it was a thing last April at some points if I can remember when the west were favoured for sunshine but even as far west, it became very dull at times.

I would be expecting around seasonal average if slightly below for my own backyard in the kind of setup being shown.

Think mid-March 2009 is the closest comparison in recent times you can make to what the models are showing. That brought plenty of sunshine and 18c in the West though the east got up to around 13c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

McKenzies

Projected windchill for the (north) east of England is near 0c during the potential warm spell due to SSTs of 2-4c and some parts will struggle to make it into the double digits. It might feel a bit chilly on the east coast here too but obviously nothing as bad as the east coast of England.

Rain rain and more rain

‘Twas a rather nice evening but now light rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the ground here is like a swamp from the heavy downpours of the past few days.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the ground here is like a swamp from the heavy downpours of the past few days.

Same here,nearly 4 inches of rain got since Easter Sunday,I thought the weather was supposed to pick up this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It never stops. 70.9mm for April so far up to yesterday at my nearest station Roches Point. The long term average for April of 59mm has already been exceeded and we are not even a third through the month. This following on from 165mm in March, twice the mean. Farmers must be at their wits end around here. It's just plain miserable for the rest of us.

BBC are seeing a southerly or southwesterly flow for next weekend onwards with low pressure over Ireland I may add. Where are they getting this from? GFS wants a westerly with dartboard lows then very cold and unsettled at the end of FI. ECM wants a southeasterly. They all agree that next week will be warm all the while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Mine too but apparently around here 10 degrees and a few showers is ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You said this "The only people I hear talking about good weather and gorgeous days are here the rest of the country is sick **** of this winter. "

Maybe your location has gotten a bad dose of weather relative to other areas, or maybe we just have a better outlook and enjoy the little patches of good weather we do get.

Whatever it is, there's some contrast there.

On another note, a mild day here in West Clare, not much in the way of sunshine, and there was 2 quite heavy showers. Overall not a terrible day though, easy to get out and about.

Outlook has nothing to do with it. The country has a fodder crises the ground is sodden wet animals in since August. People’s perception of good weather differs not everyone loves snow or days with a few showers and and no sunshine. I’m well aware of the climate of Ireland doesn’t prevent me on commenting on how rubbish it’s been this winter and spring so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pad199207 wrote: »
    McKenzies

That's the name I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Outlook has nothing to do with it. The country has a fodder crises the ground is sodden wet animals in since August. People’s perception of good weather differs not everyone loves snow or days with a few showers and and no sunshine. I’m well aware of the climate of Ireland doesn’t prevent me on commenting on how rubbish it’s been this winter and spring so far.

Well is outlook and perception not the same thing?

I'm aware you despair at our normal weather more than others, I'm not disputing that, it's an opinion you're of course allowed to have. However stating that everyone's in the same boat as you is simply incorrect, in West Clare we've not had an extreme amount of rainfall (although we've had a bit) and have actually had some quite nice days as of late. Equally in other areas they've had very poor weather so far this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Started raining here in Cork City around 7:30pm, heavy enough showers too. Making the already soaked land even wetter, sadly. The overall day wasn't bad though thankfully, and yesterday was pretty nice too with temps even hitting 16/17 degrees by my summer home in west cork!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Fodder crisis is getting scary now especially here in the north west. With climate change we were supposedly getting longer growing seasons but the trend seems to be the opposite.

Couple of heavy showers here today but mainly dry otherwise. Very dark and overcast though.

Advertisement