Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That northeasterly breeze is absolutely bitter in Dublin. Miserable with cloudy skies too. It feels weird to think that we're nearly halfway through meteorological spring and spring hasn't arrived weather-wise yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Dark misty dull day today and everywhere dripping wet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wet and cold. West Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Artane2002 wrote: »
    That northeasterly breeze is absolutely bitter in Dublin. Miserable with cloudy skies too. It feels weird to think that we're nearly halfway through meteorological spring and spring hasn't arrived weather-wise yet.

Yeah still hardly any signs of growth yet summer is only 7 weeks away, finally seeing a few flies and insects over the past week but trees are totally bare and it still very much feels like we're in winter.

Another miserable cold wet day here today for what it's worth

Yeah still hardly any signs of growth yet summer is only 7 weeks away, finally seeing a few flies and insects over the past week but trees are totally bare and it still very much feels like we're in winter.

Another miserable cold wet day here today for what it's worth

Everything in your comment applies for here. Today I saw the first fly of the season (I saw bees a few times in March). Most trees are bare, hard to believe were closer to the summer solstice than the winter solstice. Cold and heavy drizzle in Dublin also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's the SSTs and synoptic for 16/17 March 2009 which was a day of blue skies and 11-18c temperatures in a southeasterly airflow. As you can see, the Irish Sea was quite cold.

anomnight.3.16.2009.gif

archives-2009-3-18-12-0.png

The current SSTs are more widely cold.

anomnight.4.9.2018.gif

Guess what,its raining again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

9 degrees and raining here I’m sure it’s lovely/gorgeous/stunning somewhere (possibly west Clare?). I’m speaking of an area from port Laoise to home which I’ve just driven before I’m accused of speaking for the entire country.

9 degrees and raining here I’m sure it’s lovely/gorgeous/stunning somewhere (possibly west Clare?). I’m speaking of an area from port Laoise to home which I’ve just driven before I’m accused of speaking for the entire country.

Yeah Clonmel1000 I was down your neck of the woods earlier and it was flogging rain,the suir is fairly high

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Clonmel1000 please refrain from making goading remarks that serve only to get a negative reaction or cause an argument.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No rain in Bandon area today. Overcast and cool temperatures though.

poor night with fog, cold and drizzle. I know it seems like I complain a lot but it really doesn't take much to impress me, which shows how awful the weather has been. Yesterday was close to being fully dry but the night brought some rainfall. We've probably had more consecutive days of rain in Dublin than this spell but I don't remember any such spell. I think this beats February 2017 but I prefer this over Feb 2017 for sure because that was mild and I don't like mild weather during winter. December 2015 had heavy rain but dry days broke up the wet days if I remember correctly.

poor night with fog, cold and drizzle. I know it seems like I complain a lot but it really doesn't take much to impress me, which shows how awful the weather has been. Yesterday was close to being fully dry but the night brought some rainfall. We've probably had more consecutive days of rain in Dublin than this spell but I don't remember any such spell. I think this beats February 2017 but I prefer this over Feb 2017 for sure because that was mild and I don't like mild weather during winter. December 2015 had heavy rain but dry days broke up the wet days if I remember correctly.

I feel your pain artane,sick to teeth of it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

https://youtu.be/YZUE4_PtOk0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lately I note the east has been getting the worst of the weather, and that looks to continue over the next few days. A change from the opposite perhaps :)

I seen a wasp today, which I realised I haven't seen very many of yet at all and it's nearly mid April.

Overcast but dry here today, bit cool despite the temperatures Clonmel, thanks for your interest.

My previous comments were, to clarify, about the remark you made saying the rest of the country are having bad weather, which to be fair, you did say, and to be fair, was not true. I'm don't take joy in tit for tat so hopefully it can be left there.

Cloudy, misty and chilly in Dublin. It doesn't feel as cold as yesterday at the same time but the temperature is the same.

I had like only 2 completely dry days in December 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another gloomy crappy morning. I liked the Irish Sea last March, I’m starting to hate it now.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I had like only 2 completely dry days in December 2015.

Fair enough. I enjoyed Dec 2015 more though because it was more interesting. I exaggerated that a little, sorry. So far I've had one (possibly 0) dry days this April. The 3rd is the potential fully dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely calm, mild day out here. A gentle day with the lark singing joy above the clouds
    West Mayo; offshore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible here all day, not really wet, but dark, damp and feeling raw.

Max of 11.4c here in West Clare, bit dissapointing considering what I expected, with stubbornly cloudy skies. Not a particularly bad day however, fair outdoor weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cloudy all day here and feels fairly chilly, stove has been lit

Another OK day in Dublin. Overcast. I heard someone asking if the sun will ever shine again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, hopefully we get repaid for this during the summer.

April CET 1.2c above the average (1961-90) up to the 10th, doesn't feel like it - it was like 3.0c above the average up to this point for April 2017 too which in Ireland again didn't feel like it :cool:. I'll try and do an estimate of the IMT.

EDIT: IMT should be around 6.2 to 6.4c so still below average. I usually don't do IMT calculations 'til the end of the month because of the Northern Ireland figure from the UK Met Office not being available 'til then.

I'd rather it to be dark honestly than seeing the overcast skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

another meh day in Cork City. Overcast all day, cold enough breeze, then started to rain at about 5/6 and is misting on and off now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Cool cloudy and miserable day here in Waterford City. Had the lights on in the house at 6pm. Max Temp just 11.3c. We really need some bright mild weather. Its been a long Winter.

• Advertisement

It's probably been skewed by the relatively mild weather in the south of England. They've had more long-lasting mild spells than we've had this month and the temperatures nearly reached 20C locally a few days ago. It's us up further north that are putting up with cold weather.

Advertisement