Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Don't think I've seen a Spring with as many completely dull days here in my life so far as 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen a Spring with as many completely dull days here in my life so far as 2018.

No end in sight in the short term also. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

At this stage, the dull weather is getting so tedious that it's kind of funny seeing it annoying everyone :o

I'd give April a 1/10 so far. That 1 is for the 1 dry day. Without that day, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a 0.

Would you rather Spring 2017 or Spring 2018? I know the answer of the majority straight away but I'd still like to ask.

Would you rather Spring 2017 or Spring 2018? I know the answer of the majority straight away but I'd still like to ask.

Spring 2017, just for May 2017!

Edit: Oops sorry, I'd rather 2018 for the snow. If the snow didn't happen then 2017 by a long shot.

Side note: Last time I saw sunshine was Sunday... and that didn't last very long.

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Spring 2017, just for May 2017!

Side note: Last time I saw sunshine was Sunday... and that didn't last very long.

No beast from the east then ;), following the boring Winter of 2016-17.

No beast from the east then ;).

Fixed my post, I can't believe I forgot about that! Which would you rather 2017 or 2018?

Fixed my post, I can't believe I forgot about that! Which would you rather 2017 or 2018?

I'd choose 2018 because of a long interesting Winter that kept me interested in the weather unlike 2016-17.

I can't hide how utterly rubbish the Spring has been though. Spring 2017 was very good and it was pretty much a given that this Spring was gonna go down the ****ter. Let's hope the Summer doesn't!

Spring 2017 was my favourite since 2011. March was fine, April was eh...... very unpleasant with days like today being frequent that month, May was fantastic. I couldn't ask for a better May. May 2016 was excellent too.

I'd choose 2018 because of a long interesting Winter that kept me interested in the weather unlike 2016-17.

I can't hide how utterly rubbish the Spring has been though. Spring 2017 was very good and it was pretty much a given that this Spring was gonna go down the ****ter. Let's hope the Summer doesn't!

Spring 2017 was my favourite since 2011. March was fine, April was eh...... very unpleasant with days like today being frequent that month, May was fantastic. I couldn't ask for a better May. May 2016 was excellent too.

I was about to say that a poor May wouldn't surprise me because of how good the last two Mays were. If the Beast/Son of the Beast never happened and we had a poor May then this spring would have been the worst spring I can remember.

Edit: Do you mean May 2017 was excellent or 2016? I think May 2016 was pretty good too.

I was about to say that a poor May wouldn't surprise me because of how good the last two Mays were. If the Beast/Son of the Beast never happened and we had a poor May then this spring would have been the worst spring I can remember.

Edit: Do you mean May 2017 was excellent or 2016? I think May 2016 was pretty good too.

Both but May 2017 being even better - I'm gonna do a post on May 2017 in the Irish Weather Statistics thread shortly.

Spring 2013 is my worst Spring. I have so much bad life experience during it and the weather being so so depressing at the same time did not help lighten up my mood! Thankfully, we were paid back with the best Summer since 2006. Spring 2018 won't be as bad as 2013 for me but it could be a contender.

Sports Day in May 2016 for my school had perfect weather. 15 hours of blue skies, 20c!

• Advertisement

Both but May 2017 being even better - I'm gonna do a post on May 2017 in the Irish Weather Statistics thread shortly.

Spring 2013 is my worst Spring. I have so much bad life experience during it and the weather being so so depressing at the same time did not help lighten up my mood! Thankfully, we were paid back with the best Summer since 2006. Spring 2018 won't be as bad as 2013 for me but it could be a contender.

Sports Day in May 2016 for my school had perfect weather. 15 hours of blue skies, 20c!

To be honest I don't really remember Spring 2013. I know March 2013 was a bit of a disaster, it had the potential to be snowy but it was too marginal for any accumulations here. I can't remember what April or May were like but I'm going to assume that May was awful because I remember we had a bad run of May weather up until recently.

Spring 2016 was brilliant too, I even had lying snow for a few hours during March 2016.

To be honest I don't really remember Spring 2013. I know March 2013 was a bit of a disaster, it had the potential to be snowy but it was too marginal for any accumulations here. I can't remember what April or May were like but I'm going to assume that May was awful because I remember we had a bad run of May weather up until recently.

April 2013 started off bitterly cold but settled with sunshine. Daytime temperatures well in the single figures - around only 3 or 4c on the 1st but at least it was sunny and dry. It became milder during the second week with temperatures at last getting up into the double digits for the first time since the start of March or for Dublin, first time since the start of February! To compensate for the milder air though, it became wet and windy which prevailed for much of the month. Overall, it was a cold April.

May 2013 started off fairly mild with temperatures in the high teens and some sunny spells but during the second week, it became cold and wet. Temperatures around the low teens generally at best with rain, rain, wind, wind. Fortunately, it became less wet later on but not much warmer.

Thankfully, the very start of June 2013 gave us over a week of blue skies, high teens low 20s temperatures and settled conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Fairly consistent sun since half 4 here in West Clare with some limited cloudy patches, but mostly prevailing sun. Nice to see after days of dull. Max temperature today was 13.6c, and currently it's 13c.

No sun in east Galway since Monday
    Cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Realistically, it's rare for the temperature not to go above 25c during summer in Ireland for even a day.

Yet another dull, misty day in Dublin...

2012 I think it was....every month was below average and rarely above 17C here in East Connacht.

God I hope never to see a summer like that again!

I escaped from the treachery of summer 2012 :) . There are some years that don't go above 25C in the country but that's rare. Same applies to a minimum of below -5c during winter. Again, there's some exceptions but usually it does get to -5c or less during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

As sure as the current weather is still crap If we get four or five weeks of dry,warm/hot weather in the coming weeks/months there will be people complaining about the drought and heat.
    If only we could get Summer weather like the great ones of 1975/76.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Neddyusa wrote: »
    2012 I think it was....every month was below average and rarely above 17C here in East Connacht.

God I hope never to see a summer like that again!

Actually, having looked back at the data...there were actually 3 good days in that awful summer 2012 (9th - 11th August)

Peaked at 25 on 10th here. (So maybe you are on to something!)

Besides that spell it never went above 21C here and most days were dull, wet, windy and highs of 14-17.

The last year to fail to reach 25c in Ireland was 1988. Summer 2012 itself was awful and the epitome of crap but there were two spells of warm weather where 25c or more was recorded, late May and early to mid August. Late May 2012 brought the warmest May weather in Ireland since 1997 with a maximum of 28.3c, falling only 0.1c short of the Irish record of 28.4c. Scotland broke records for highest May temperatures during this spell of abundant sunshine. The week 7th-10th August brought in southeasterly winds which gave away to sunny spells and temperatures in the low to mid 20s. Some parts got unlucky and received very little sunshine though.

I remember the 7th-10th August very well because that was the period of a Summer camp I did in Santry with the perfect weather to go along with it. The May spell wasn't particularly notable for me because I was exposed to the easterly wind.

Like Neddyusa, I don't want to see a Summer like 2012 again..... which was then followed by Spring 2013..... ay ay ay. I did not like Winter 2012-13 either.

I'll buy the ticket.

lAf3emE.jpg

I'll buy the ticket.

lAf3emE.jpg

I hope you bought a return ticket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

That Met Eireann forecast on their website must be the most depressing I’ve ever read. No mention of sunshine at all hardly well into next week.
    This could be the summer that really is the last straw for some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

As sure as the current weather is still crap If we get four or five weeks of dry,warm/hot weather in the coming weeks/months there will be people complaining about the drought and heat.
    If only we could get Summer weather like the great ones of 1975/76.

Farmers won`t be complaining none that I know anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

pad199207 wrote: »
    That Met Eireann forecast on their website must be the most depressing I’ve ever read. No mention of sunshine at all hardly well into next week.
    This could be the summer that really is the last straw for some people.

It's hardly news that our weather is typically rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I think we are all severely deficient in vit D and a bit grumpy and depressed. Oh to feel the warm sun on your skin. forgotten what it feels like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy Sunday and possibly looking quite strong along coasts and blustery overland on Mon into Tues with possible heavy frontal rain. Looks like the South and Western side of the country getting the most rain.

ECU4-96_mjk3.GIF

85jMMEE.png

tempresult_irb9.gif

tempresult_ugk0.gif

tempresult_otp2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Even being able to leave the house without a winter jacket would be a bonus at this stage, another horrible dark murky day here hovering around around 6-7C all day. Having endured a thoroughly crap summer last year in Donegal and now a seemingly never ending winter it really is getting depressing

There's still a prospect of some humid thundery weather next week but its increasingly being pushed further east every day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Reading through the reports shows we have been doing fairly well here in Kerry the last week, overcast for much of it but calm and dry for the most part with a few breaks in the cloud at times. Today got to see some milky blue sky and hazy sunshine and felt relatively warm getting up to 14.7C( being the warmest day so far )and currently 10.1C. A bit drab all right with all that low stratus, going to have to wait a bit for good weather it seems.

My rain figures are reading about 20% too low.

pf3Gxzh.png

Rb33y7l.png

Would love to have been able to attend this tomorrow in the RDS tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/984495717178888192

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/nature/2018/0412/954005-is-ireland-ready-for-hurricanes-absolutely-not/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

General consensus is, come back jetstream, all is forgiven but feck back off to Spain / North Africa around mid December?

For the fifth day in a row, overcast in Dublin. It drizzled earlier so another rain day. Hopefully tomorrow brings some sunshine.

• Advertisement

Advertisement