Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another cloudy cold day here. 7C. I haven't seen the sun since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The storm out in the Atlantic for this coming Monday is absolutely incredible for the time of year, thank god it's not pushing further east.

QajbAUc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Headline from the Daily Mirror yesterday:

gCcYtCK.png

'Week long sizzle' in quotes, yet, upon a read through the 'article', there is no mention of any forecaster forecasting with such idiotic indiscretion. What gives, idiot Mirror journalist? did you just put in this pseudo quote in the hope that it would catch on by getting the breakfast roll munchers causally repeating it as they engage in some superficial conversation on the way to work?

F*^&ing moron.

And I won't even comment on this sentence from the same pile of excrement:

"Met Eireann says the mercury will soar to "above normal temperatures for this time of year"."

:rolleyes:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

If I remember correctly we got a serious storm in april back around 86 or 87 ,i think it carried a few sheds around kerry anyway .I would only have being 10 or 11 at the time but mad things like this stick in my head!!!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    If I remember correctly we got a serious storm in april back around 86 or 87 ,i think it carried a few sheds around kerry anyway .I would only have being 10 or 11 at the time but mad things like this stick in my head!!!!

Unsure about April but 19/20 March 1986 brought a storm across the country. Cairngorm in the Scottish Mountains had a maximum wind gust of 173mph on 20 March 1986 which is the record for the UK. 8 December 2011 came close at 165mph.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106487692&postcount=309

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21209466-storm-damage/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The storm out in the Atlantic for this coming Monday is absolutely incredible for the time of year, thank god it's not pushing further east.

QajbAUc.jpg

Ah why, id take any active weather over this clinging dismal murk. I dont think of myself as getting SAD, but if i dont see some sunshine soon i shall collapse in a mist rickets and scurvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'd probably also take that deep low in exchange for more sun. (still dull and there was misty drizzle earlier in Dublin)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a few spots of drizzle here, ground damp/wet for days, no drying, cold and dark. Some cars driving with their lights on. This has to be one of the coldest, least sunny April's I can remember in a long time.

It's not even that wet here, the ground just keeps getting topped up by the drizzle. Strangely, it seems to stay dry here during the day but as soon as the sun sets it starts to drizzle and it gets a little foggy. The drizzle seems to continue on until a bit after the sun rises. Today didn't feel that cold but it was cold. I suppose I'm just used to it at this stage. 1/13 dry days so far and 5 days with no sun in a row...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful afternoon/evening here in Cork City. Blue sky, Sun shining (went out and just stood there for about 10 minutes in it!), 15/16 degrees at one point (now 13 degrees). Hopefully things are picking up. Breeze was still coldish but :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely here in Naas now thank god

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lovely here in Naas now thank god

I see that, meanwhile, still overcast here at Grange.

https://twitter.com/KildareMet/status/984827207364349953

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 5 days of unbroken cloud in Castlebar, a bit of a strange spell, a few spots of drizzle but dry for the majority, the dullness though is nearly as bad as rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fared quite well again here in Tralee today. Quite cloudy for the most part but with brief sunny spells on and off and getting up to 13.6C ( 12.1C atm)

Pic: A calm Fenit Harbour at 14.30

BKXLIo5.jpg?1

Omg its sunny in Dublin!! Nice evening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Beautiful afternoon in East Galway
    Clouded over now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A bit of sunshine and clear blue skies here now after a week of dull, damp overcast. It's still only 8.1C though.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Omg. I saw the sun in Dublin for an hour or so this evening. Wonders never cease to amaze me😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No sun today in West Clare, some brightness but no sun.

Max of 13.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Finally a fleeting sight of the sun here in north Kildare this evening as well, came out of the gym to clear cloudless skies after a full week of murky greyness, strange how quick it changed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models fairly consistent the last few runs still showing it quite windy Mon/ Tues especially along coastal counties 80-100 km/h and probably up to around 60-80km/h overland on higher ground especially . Showing some very strong winds on some models for the SW and S late Mon into Tues morning ( Gusts 100-110 km/h )

6uq6g8a.png

tempresult_ylb9.gif

tempresult_mhl9.gif

tempresult_rha7.gif

Rainfall warnings no doubt to follow.

tempresult_xen3.gif

102-777UK_moc1.GIF

And that didn't last long... back to overcast skies again :/ . Amazing how quickly it changed though, from 100% cloud cover to near 0% and back to 100% in a short space of time. It was beautiful while it lasted though.

Very high seas especially next Tues coinciding with spring tides and that is after a fair shot of rain also from late Sat to Tues. Coastal flooding might be an issue.

tempresult_vyi8.gif

nww3uk-0-96_oon5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

After several dry days, it's currently lashing in West Clare, Lots of surface water and rainfall rates between 25-30mm/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lovely day here today easily the best since last September I’d guess. Bright and mild mostly and got grass cut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Really brightened up this afternoon here in Waterford City with some warm Spring sunshine. Max temp of 13.2c with over 5 hours of sun recorded.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bit disappointing this morning back to dull grey weather

I don't think I need to comment on the weather because I'm sure you're able to guess how it is.

(grey skies)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Thought the belated arrival of Spring might be about to give farmers some respite - until I read MT's foreacast this morning.
    Up to 3 ins of rain in West between now and Wednesday :(

• Advertisement

we only had about 20 minutes to brightness here yesterday evening and it was gone. Still cloudy and damp this morning.

Advertisement