Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s grey in east Galway
    But it’s dry and not cold
    And it’s April

So I’m happy enough

It was like this more most of July and August last year
    This is seasonal
    That was not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gloomy at Grange but I don't know, it feels like a better day than the past few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Gloomy at Grange but I don't know, it feels like a better day than the past few.
    I was about to say the same. The cloud is a bit more broken today, the last few days felt like there was just one massive cloud covering the whole sky. I would say the milder temperatures are another factor. I don't mind days like today too much but cloudy weather for a week is enough

I'm at DUB and the cloud is breaking further, probably some sunshine later.

Update: the sun has broken through in DUB! It's trying to hide behind the clouds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Grey here in Cork and pretty strong gusts of wind, clouds are moving very quickly too. Cold breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Very pleasant in east Galway now that the sun has made an appearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The afternoon has brightened up nicely in Castlebar, first time the sun has really broke through all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

3PM Reports. a nice 15 degrees in Belmullet Co.Mayo. breezy along the coasts,Valentia gusting 33 knots, Newport 31 knots, Cork 31 knots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Extremely dull in Cork and a cool 10 degrees, at least it was a dry day and was able to get some gardening done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally some sun and brightness this evening, a very welcome change and ground finally starting to dry up in parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking very windy on Monday into Tues. Feeling even stronger for here as coming from a S'ly direction. Haven't had a windy day like forecast for Monday since around the 8 to the 13 Feb which was a blustery few days getting over 70 km/h. I fear the new growth on the trees will get burnt. Looks like there could be widespread gusts overland of between 70-90 km/h , stronger in coastal areas and the Southern counties, possibly gusting close to 100 km/h on exposed coasts more so on Monday.

tempresult_xyw0.gif

tempresult_cbh6.gif

tempresult_pfa9.gif

tempresult_mvp6.gif

BtkiBJJ.png

• Advertisement

For the first time in ages, I can say that today overall was a good day. Good bit of sunshine and fully dry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Artane2002 wrote: »
    For the first time in ages, I can say that today overall was a good day. Good bit of sunshine and fully dry so far.

Thats good to hear artane,twas well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wish I could say the same for today in West Clare.......no sun :)

Windy and somewhat mild. Not as hazy as recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

in London for few days , 10 degrees and cold yesterday , 18 today at least and my bald head got a bit of ' colour' i.e red , People going around in shorts but much cooler/ even cold in the shade

Overcast should be a forbidden word (the O word) by now because of how often I've been using it!

A wet start to the day in Dublin.

I just saw a tabloid suggesting 27C is possible in Ireland next week from an 'African Air Plume'. What a joke...

Hardly no rain overnight here in West Clare, didn't get heavy at all.

Heavy rain overnight here in Cork City and a heavy shower just passed now.

1st-14th April sunshine totals at Irish stations reveal that it has been a truly dull start to the month. Knock Airport has recorded only 11.7 hours of sunshine in the past 14 days and stations have had less than 20% of their average April sunshine so far, we normally should be around 50% at this point.

mTQvwN8.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Why has it been so dull? The April 2018 500mb height reanalysis up to the 12th shows why. We're on the cool side of the jet stream along with a deep trough just to the southwest of us. This is not a nice pattern at all.

FzPLEF1.gif

Sunny spells in between some showers today, not exceptionally sunny by any means but 5-10 minutes here and there is something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland
    South to southeast winds will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h with gusts between 80 and 110km/h. Winds strongest along Atlantic coastal counties at first but the strong winds will extend countrywide through the course of the Monday afternoon and evening.

Issued:Sunday 15 April 2018 14:00
    Valid:Monday 16 April 2018 09:00 to Tuesday 17 April 2018 06:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford
    Rainfall accumulations of 25 to 50mm expected over the period, with the potential for higher amounts on hills and mountains. Localised spot flooding possible.

Issued:Sunday 15 April 2018 13:00
    Valid:Monday 16 April 2018 09:00 to Tuesday 17 April 2018 09:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cold windy wet at the south east coast today utterly miserable. Exceptionally miserable day.

Cloudy, 10 degrees but a cold breeze, heavy showers, drizzle and overcast here in Cork City. Not the best.

Cloudy with bursts of rain from time to time. I guess I can't complain with the 10 minutes of sun I got earlier. The temperature seems to be a good few degrees below average but it feels pretty mild

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Cloudy with bursts of rain from time to time. I guess I can't complain with the 10 minutes of sun I got earlier. The temperature seems to be a good few degrees below average but it feels pretty mild

A day like today was very typical in April 2012 for here, mostly cloudy and showery with 11c.

Sryan I take it that 27 degrees next week is a load of baloney?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Pinn Hedde

Cold ,damp and miserable here in North Dublin....has been the coldest Winter for many years here ...any reports of better weather would be welcome !

Sryan I take it that 27 degrees next week is a load of baloney?

For Ireland yes, there was never a chance of us getting close to 27c. The most I saw us getting to was 21c but now it looks more like 18-19c that the period has gotten into the more reliable timeframe. The warmth has been pushed further east than recently into the east of the UK and Europe. The southeast of the UK a few days ago could have been getting near record breaking highs but now 24-26c looks most likely which whilst very warm, not record breaking - the record for April in the UK is 29.4c whilst for Ireland it's 25.8c.

Dare I mention the word "downgrade" here. Signals in the past week have been very good for a decent Wednesday/Thursday period but now it just looks mostly dry, warm with some sunny spells though not blue skies everywhere with some rain out to the west possibly.

For now, the weekend of Friday to Sunday next (of course quite a bit off) looks decent for nice Spring weather of temperatures in the mid-teens, sunny spells and dry conditions. Right after it, low pressure seems to want to take over the pattern again on the latest models though some disagree and want the Azores High to continue to ridge to us bringing fine Spring conditions. Don't take this as concrete.

The week in general bar tomorrow and Tuesday looks to be a significant improvement on last week for sun and temperatures but hey, that doesn't mean much now does it in the grand scheme of things because last week was pathetic and miserable.

I have no idea how the end of April is gonna fare, it's either cool and wet or dry and mild. There are lots of different solutions being picked at this moment.

In conclusion yes, the media is its usual load of crap. 27c was never going to be achieved here.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For Ireland yes, there was never a chance of us getting close to 27c. The most I saw us getting to was 21c but now it looks more like 18-19c that the period has gotten into the more reliable timeframe. The warmth has been pushed further east than recently into the east of the UK and Europe. The southeast of the UK a few days ago could have been getting near record breaking highs but now 24-26c looks most likely which whilst very warm, not record breaking - the record for April in the UK is 29.4c whilst for Ireland it's 25.8c.

Dare I mention the word "downgrade" here. Signals in the past week have been very good for a decent Wednesday/Thursday period but now it just looks mostly dry, warm with some sunny spells though not blue skies everywhere with some rain out to the west possibly.

For now, the weekend of Friday to Sunday next (of course quite a bit off) looks decent for nice Spring weather of temperatures in the mid-teens, sunny spells and dry conditions. Right after it, low pressure seems to want to take over the pattern again on the latest models though some disagree and want the Azores High to continue to ridge to us bringing fine Spring conditions. Don't take this as concrete.

The week in general bar tomorrow and Tuesday looks to be a significant improvement on last week for sun and temperatures but hey, that doesn't mean much now does it in the grand scheme of things because last week was pathetic and miserable.

I have no idea how the end of April is gonna fare, it's either cool and wet or dry and mild. There are lots of different solutions being picked at this moment.

In conclusion yes, the media is its usual load of crap. 27c was never going to be achieved here.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that much appreciated.

No doubt there'd be saps in their bikinis burning like a heatwave though.

• Advertisement

I'll always go the extra mile to enjoy such weather, not like we get it much!

Sadly however, looks like I won't be seeing any of it here in West Clare.

Advertisement