Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Scorching here with unbroken sunshine and 19c. Forecasts have been all over the place the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Scorching here with unbroken sunshine and 19c. Forecasts have been all over the place the last few days.

Where is that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Same here in South Dublin, 18.7c in the garden, my thermometer hit 21.0c yesterday afternoon.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Same here in South Dublin, 18.7c in the garden, my thermometer hit 20.7c yesterday afternoon.

Ye were supposed to get that though. Here in southwest Limerick it was supposed to be highs of 14 with cloud and rain showers. It's been glorious since around 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Northolt in London has reached 27.9c beating the 27.8c maximum at Surrey in April 2011 making it the second warmest April day in the UK since 1949 which had a maximum of 29.4c.

This Spring keeps on giving with its extremes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shocked at how beautiful the weather is today in West Clare. Unbroken sunshine for the last few hours despite a cloudy start. Currently outside in the sun with the obligatory ice cream :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

reached 19C here yesterday and a beautiful day. Today is another beautiful day but very chilly compared to what is going on over in the UK. Already 29C in parts of London. A temperature that most parts of Ireland rarely ever gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful afternoon here and feeling much nicer than yesterday because of the lighter winds. 18c

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Northolt in London has reached 27.9c beating the 27.8c maximum at Surrey in April 2011 making it the second warmest April day in the UK since 1949 which had a maximum of 29.4c.

28.8c now at Northolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful day here in Cork City. Wasn't expecting it to get above 13/14 as the weather predicted! It's currently 19/20 degrees , roasting, sunny and definitely shorts weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Beautiful day here in Cork City. Wasn't expecting it to get above 13/14 as the weather predicted! It's currently 19/20 degrees , roasting, sunny and definitely shorts weather!

And yet, up the road at the airport, it was only 14c at 3pm, a good 5/6c cooler than the urban city.

Similarly, I was at my parents house after lunch, less then 1km from the Irish sea in the North Dublin suburbs. In the area, the car thermometer was reading 14c and the breeze was very cool. Driving home in a westward direction, the temperature rose quickly. By the time I passed IKEA (a short distance south of Dublin Airport) on the M50, the thermometer was showing 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

highdef wrote: »
    And yet, up the road at the airport, it was only 14c at 3pm, a good 5/6c cooler than the urban city.

Similarly, I was at my parents house after lunch, less then 1km from the Irish sea in the North Dublin suburbs. In the area, the car thermometer was reading 14c and the breeze was very cool. Driving home in a westward direction, the temperature rose quickly. By the time I passed IKEA on the M50, the thermometer was showing 20c.

Yeah it's pretty mad I saw that too. My neighbours Davis station is showing 19 degrees while my car is showing 20 degrees. Cork airport is quite a bit higher too and more open but the 5/6 degrees difference is interesting to see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Too hot to be out working, bring back the Winter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

What's missing now is extremely sunny weather... we've (UK and Ireland collectively) had extreme cold, snow, dull weather and now warmth (not so much here). You could argue that the rain was extreme in some places but not to me. Hopefully May gives extremely sunny weather.

Another thing to say, brilliant day in Dublin. Warm and mostly sunny. Today for the first time in ages, I went on a walk in the hazy sunshine, it was beautiful. I wasn't dressed appropriately for the weather so the warmth felt oppressive on my way home. I was more suitably dressed for my lunchtime walk though.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    What's missing now is extremely sunny weather... we've (UK and Ireland collectively) had extreme cold, snow, dull weather and now warmth (not so much here). You could argue that the rain was extreme in some places but not to me. Hopefully May gives extremely sunny weather.

Another thing to say, brilliant day in Dublin. Warm and mostly sunny. Today for the first time in ages, I went on a walk in the hazy sunshine, it was beautiful. I wasn't dressed appropriately for the weather so the warmth felt oppressive on my way home. I was more suitably dressed for my lunchtime walk though.

There was March 14th which brought heavy rain and floods to parts of Dublin including rivers bursting their banks.

There was March 14th which brought heavy rain and floods to parts of Dublin including rivers bursting their banks.

I forgot about that. How much rain fell that day in the station with the highest rain total for the day?

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I forgot about that. How much rain fell that day in the station with the highest rain total for the day?

Station daily rainfall totals for March 14th

Station|Daily rainfall total (mm)
    Athenry|3.9
    Ballyhaise|6.8
    Belmullet|4.6
    Casement Aerodrome|11.2
    Claremorris|5.5
    Cork Airport|24.7
    Dublin Airport|21.5
    Dunsany|7.4
    Finner Camp|8.0
    Gurteen|12.6
    Johnstown Castle|21.8
    Knock Airport|6.0
    Mace Head|4.4
    Malin Head|1.1
    Markree Castle|7.3
    Moorepark|30.7
    Mt Dillon|4.5
    Mullingar|6.9
    Newport|8.8
    Oak Park|31.2
    Phoenix Park|20.3
    Roches Point|19.3
    Shannon Airport|7.1
    Sherkin Island|17.9
    Valentia Observatory|24.8

Data comes from Met Éireann.

29.1c at St James' Park, London now. Very close to the record.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/986988788185534466

Hopefully the record will be broken.

I'll accept the March rainfall as extreme in that case because that week in particular was very wet and because of the disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was just about to mention this. It's close to being the warmest April day since 1949.
    So the posters predicting this were right.

• Advertisement

Let's remind ourselves that the 1st March was the coldest March/Spring day on record for the UK with a maximum of -4.7c at Tredegar and now we're close to beating the April maximum temperature record at 29.4c. Man, you got to love the weather!

The last 2 months have been brilliant, extreme cold, extreme snow, extreme rain and now extreme heat.

Unbroken sunshine all day here now little to no breeze.

I'm so happy MT and Met were well off with there forecast. What caused all the cloud and rain to not arrive, where has it gone. Any updated forecast for tomorrow?

The last 2 months have been brilliant, extreme cold, extreme snow, extreme rain and now extreme heat.

Unbroken sunshine all day here now little to no breeze.

I'm so happy MT and Met were well off with there forecast. What caused all the cloud and rain to not arrive, where has it gone. Any updated forecast for tomorrow?
    If we go back to October to January, extreme wind events too like Ophelia and Eleanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Something I didn't expect to say today, but I'm sunburned. I'm not ginger or anything, a bit sallow for an Irish person perhaps.

Beautiful day. If anyone plans to enjoy tomorrow a but of suncream wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Strong sun and fresh wind here in coastal West Mayo. Lovely afterevening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

probably best day of the year here so far in terms of sun, temp now maxed out at 18C here compared to 19C yesterday.

I am hoping that we will at least see a few days of 20C+ during May.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Enjoying this lovely weather however am up to my neck with work and home duties. The only free time I have these days are Sunday mornings and yet again Sunday is looking like a washout......:(

Gonzo wrote: »
    probably best day of the year here so far in terms of sun, temp now maxed out at 18C here compared to 19C yesterday.

Even if we don't get 20c, consecutive days of blue skies like early May last year would be perfectly ok to me.

Gonzo wrote: »

"Probably" :)

• Advertisement

"Probably" :)

25 February is arguably better for Dublin because it had no cloud at all throughout unlike today which had a dull start then patches of cloud here and there. Can't speak for other counties because their sunshine totals for 25 February weren't as high.

Advertisement