Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Today isn't particularly bad in Dublin but it just feels miserable. Frequent showers interspersed with sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Today isn't particularly bad in Dublin but it just feels miserable. Frequent showers interested with sunshine.

It’s a typical April day, what an April day should be. Nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Imagine that, temperatures rising in May and June.
    Who'd have thunk it???????

What his speciality - stating the bleedin' obvious.

Oh no not him again ffs

sryanbruen wrote: »

Showers aren't this frequent normally for here though.

Sorry I made a typo. I meant to say 'interspersed' but it was autocorrected to 'interested'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

April showers bring forth May flowers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh no not him again ffs

Apparently 6 foxes were seen doing the Siege of Ennis in Donegal and as we all know that's a sign of great weather ☺️

"It's an old people saying, that if you get a very cold winter, with an east wind. We had it in the early 60s and 70s. It's a great guide to what's coming and I hope I get it right."

Yeah but that's a myth. You'll rarely find significantly cold Winters followed by equally hot Summers or just warm Summers. Like April or Spring, Winters have no consequence on the succeeding Summer. Not to mention, 2017/18 was a pretty average Winter overall in terms of temperatures, it wasn't anything significant! December was close to average, January was close to average, February was cold.

Summer 1995 was preceded by the exceptionally wet and mild Winter of 1994/95 as one example.

The 1960s had awful Summers whilst the early 70s Summers weren't anything special including June 1972 being the coldest June of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Glorious morning there's a bit of heat off the sunshine already, thank god the horrible wind has gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Please let the warm front come in from the South.
    I'm sick of it been a nice day in Dublin but as soon as you go out into the open, the wind would skin you alive.

Very nice ECM 0z FI this morning. To go along with that, the NAO is looking decently positive which means we should be seeing a strong Azores High that is likely to throw up transient ridges to us - I had been saying this as a possibility in the forecasts when I was doing them.

The few ensembles that were going negative with the NAO seem to be favouring positivity of the index now with the exception of one going to down neutral but that's a large outlier.

Mh0Dtv1.gif

• Advertisement

Sorry, what exactly is a transient ridge?

Sorry, what exactly is a transient ridge?

A temporary area of high pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

A temporary area of high pressure.

For when?????

cute geoge wrote: »
    For when?????

Impossible to say at this stage. If you'll look at the FI Charts thread, ECM 0z says for the 4th and 5th May currently. Can change easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Another cool day with frequent showers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another horrible day here with plenty of short, sharp showers making this a very wet week. I should have taken advantage of the few drys days last week to cut the grass after the very long winter. The garden is more like a meadow and it's just too wet to cut any grass.

Doesn't look to be much in the way of drying over the next week with plenty of rain or showers to come.

Very good day in Dublin. Nice sunshine but the wind is really bitter if you don't wear a jacket or jumper. A few showers too. Really what you would expect in April apart from possibly the temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Showers arriving bang on time between 4pm and 5pm-check, like usually in fresh westerly wind-check, the default pattern of 12 out of 12 months-check, temperature range between 7-13 degrees all year round-check. meantime central Europe is having 2nd warmest April on record.
    Meanwhile heading in to May, the mean is looking to flip from -2 in 850 hPa to a factor 50, roasting +1.
    Breaking news of the day - Donegal Postman predicting hot summer, in reality 2 warm weeks and 10 crap, yet it will be regarded as a good summer, as the 3 sunny days will be regarded as a nice spring,rant over.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lon=-6.5325&lat=53.17&ville=Blessington

It's April... this is how it should be. No one said it's been a nice spring. Everyone's been complaining about it.

Nice day at Grange, lots of sunny spells with only two showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be honest it's not been particularly bad, lots of nice sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Overcast day here in cork with some spits of rain and kind of cold. Not the best day

I think people's interpretation of current weather says an awful about them rather than the actual weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be honest it's not been particularly bad, lots of nice sunshine.

Today or spring in general JCX?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Today or spring in general JCX?

Last few days.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Last few days.

Ah ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was 5c here this morning with hail

Got up to 11c in sunshine

A normal enough April day

I forgot to mention, the mornings today and yesterday were quite chilly.

Dark wet cold evening here.

• Advertisement

For the second time this week, the rain to the south is further northwards than what the models showed. The other time was Tuesday of course.

W0ygvT3.png

Advertisement