Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely start to the day here. Low of 1.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Another cracking Saturday in East Galway
    The lawn has never got this much attention in April!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice convective shower to start off the morning here in West Clare, they're bubbling up fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Excellent start to the day in Dublin 5. Cool and sunny with a nice breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely morning. Temperatures slowly creeping up 10c

• Advertisement

Turned into a beautiful sunny afternoon after the brief rain. Nice strong sun, you can tell it's well into spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Very heavey hail shower just now, stung the ears off me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm loving today, lots of sunshine at Grange. Better than a lot of the warm spell to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some very dark clouds moving into cork city, looks like theres sparks behind it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A lovely afternoon in Dublin 16 but ominous looking clouds building and extending northwards fron the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

New radar shows lightning strikes
    That's cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Some angry clouds around but staying dry where I live south east of Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mostly sunny here with a few clouds about. There's some bigger grey cloud out to the west. It's 15.4C in our sheltered back garden. There's not much wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very lucky here, another dry and mostly sunny day, not feeling as warm as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Convection over Helvic Head waterford today. No sparks :(
    https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/990292244124008448

The second half of April has been pretty decent. I still can't forgive that full dull week just yet though. I'm giving April 4/10 as of today. I might change it depending on how I feel about the next two days. I think that 4 is a bit generous to be honest :D

Artane2002 wrote: »
    The second half of April has been pretty decent. I still can't forgive that full dull week just yet though. I'm giving April 4/10 as of today. I might change it depending on how I feel about the next two days. I think that 4 is a bit generous to be honest :D

What's an average April out of 10 in your scoring system?

Here's a comparison between the UKMO 12z today for next Friday and what the 12z model run was showing on 29 June 2013 for the 5 July that year which was the day before the heatwave began. Perhaps food for thought? Don't get carried away though, it's only May after all, not July like 2013. :P

MK4Rdxz.gif

02ZL8lr.gif

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What's an average April out of 10 in your scoring system?

It's hard to explain how my scoring system works. If I were to pick an average I'd say 6/10 would be an average April. I should revise my score for this April to 3/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jesus lads how you could class April as anything other than worse than average is beyond me. Farmers at their wits end pitches destroyed it’s still cold and we’ve had about 3 genuinely nice days. I know we all like different types of weather but I honestly think your average person with a very passing interest in the weather is sick **** of this. I travel a lot in my job and it’s the main topic of conversation even more than normal. Ok I’m not in the costa del bray or west Clare but for the south and the midlands it’s been awful.

Jesus lads how you could class April as anything other than worse than average is beyond me. Farmers at their wits end pitches destroyed it’s still cold and we’ve had about 3 genuinely nice days. I know we all like different types of weather but I honestly think your average person with a very passing interest in the weather is sick **** of this. I travel a lot in my job and it’s the main topic of conversation even more than normal. Ok I’m not in the costa del bray or west Clare but for the south and the midlands it’s been awful.

I rate this April as a 1/10 and pure crap but not everybody is going to agree with me.

It's hard to explain how my scoring system works. If I were to pick an average I'd say 6/10 would be an average April. I should revise my score for this April to 3/10.

Relativity is everything!

To be honest it's not been entirely terrible here in West Clare, so I'd give it a firm 5/10. Very wet to start, and slightly wetter than usual throughout, (overall rainfall running at 89.8mm so far, LTA for Shannon is 59.8mm in April, and it's generally a slight bit drier here than Shannon), but with fairly good sunny intervals and a good 3 days which made the difference. Even today, bar 2 light rain showers totalling 0.2mm, it was beautiful during sunshine. Have done a fair bit of outdoor work over the past few weeks, and it's not been entirely terrible. A complete lack of stormy weather for the month of April also makes it a better month, although I do enjoy the odd storm, a proper gloomy day is better than 3/4 partially gloomy.

I understand some people get fustrated at anything other than excellent weather, but everything's relative.

If it's any consolation, it's been a fairly ****e week in Lanzarote according to a friend of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Totally agree,an awful April,cold wet and miserable except for about 3 days so far,land was never so wet this time of the year

To be honest it's not been entirely terrible here in West Clare, so I'd give it a firm 5/10. Very wet to start, and slightly wetter than usual throughout, (overall rainfall running at 89.8mm so far, LTA for Shannon is 59.8mm in April, and it's generally a slight bit drier here than Shannon), but with fairly good sunny intervals and a good 3 days which made the difference. Even today, bar 2 light rain showers totalling 0.2mm, it was beautiful during sunshine. Have done a fair bit of outdoor work over the past few weeks, and it's not been entirely terrible. A complete lack of stormy weather for the month of April also makes it a better month, although I do enjoy the odd storm, a proper gloomy day is better than 3/4 partially gloomy.

I understand some people get fustrated at anything other than excellent weather, but everything's relative.

If it's any consolation, it's been a fairly ****e week in Lanzarote according to a friend of mine.
    The fully overcast week ruined the month for me. Not much in the way of sunshine either except a few days over the past 2 weeks. It hasn't felt overly wet, mainly the drizzle that no one likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The frustration is at the complete lack of excellent weather but I take your point.

The fully overcast week ruined the month for me. Not much in the way of sunshine either except a few days over the past 2 weeks. It hasn't felt overly wet, mainly the drizzle that no one likes.

The chilly nature regardless of what the stats say combined with the lack of sunshine are what make me hate it. Don't know whether to say April 2012 or 2018 was worse. April 2012 was exceptionally wet and cool here (not even reaching beyond 13c all month) but sunny whilst 2018 has been warmer but dull. It certainly hasn't felt warm despite what the stats say.

Mother Nature better have something up her sleeve for either this May or the Summer. The model outlooks (bar the ECM 12z) are promising for a start.

Everyone has a different definition of excellent, don't forget that. Thursday was nothing special but I thought it was excellent despite the cold wind and showers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Here in Waterford definitely a month to forget. Temp wise a little below normal but the true story is told by seeing the rainfall stats. 140mm of rain recorded at my station in Waterford City. This is easily the wettest April since i started my station in 2010. A rainfall comparison chart here. All the data can be found at waterfordweather.com
    2011 16mm
    2012 70.4mm
    2013 58.9mm
    2014 83.8mm
    2015 20.6mm
    2016 94.1mm
    2017 18.4mm
    2018 140.0mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Everyone has a different definition of excellent, don't forget that. Thursday was nothing special but I thought it was excellent despite the cold wind and showers.

So you say it’s cold and wet yet you think it’s excellent 🤔🤔🤔

Advertisement