Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So you say it’s cold and wet yet you think it’s excellent 🤔🤔🤔

There was lots of sunshine to be enjoyed in Dublin with a nice breeze. The showers were few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

So you say it’s cold and wet yet you think it’s excellent 🤔🤔🤔

The showers were quick and I only remember around two showers. It was sunny for most of the day. I wasn't complaining about the cold breeze, it was actually nice.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    1st-14th April sunshine totals at Irish stations reveal that it has been a truly dull start to the month. Knock Airport has recorded only 11.7 hours of sunshine in the past 14 days and stations have had less than 20% of their average April sunshine so far, we normally should be around 50% at this point.

mTQvwN8.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

An update on this. Up to the 27th, Knock Airport is at 45.9 hours of sunshine. The current dullest April record for Ireland is 60.1 hours at the same station last year. Up to the 24th, the station had only 29.0 hours of sunshine so it has risen by 16.9 hours in 3 days. If it weren't for these past 3 days and for the rest of the days to remain with very minimal sunshine here, it would have set a new dullest April record for the entirety of the British Isles, not just Ireland! Just the frosting on the cake for how depressing the month has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful morning here beautiful blue skies and sunshine. Would love to see it last for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Stunning morning in Cork. Not a cloud in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Gone from a lovely clear morning to getting washed out of it with a big rain/hail shower here in s cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Netweather is showing a "feels like" of -2 for Monday morning and +18 for Friday afternoon for Dublin.

Cloud rolling in now sun disappearing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely day here 11c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Syran gave a 60% chance of nice warm weather for the bank holiday 7 days ago. Anywhere near 90% chance yet?

• Advertisement

Syran gave a 60% chance of nice warm weather for the bank holiday 7 days ago. Anywhere near 90% chance yet?

Nope :P, still all prone to changes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely day here in Kerry at 12.7C , most of the cloud bubbling up tending to be overland.

Pic near Banna Beach, 12.30

3gNSKST.jpg?1

xPzWdLi.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

As I mentioned a few days ago, Mean RH values this April are running well above normal, and up to yesterday, are coming in at the highest since 2009.

eEfSxOo.png

Ominous signal for the Summer ahead? :P

Data from Ogimet and is the 'IMT' national average.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As I mentioned a few days ago, Mean RH values this April are running well above normal, and up to yesterday, are coming in at the highest since 2009.

Ominous signal for the Summer ahead? :P

Data from Ogimet and is the 'IMT' national average.

At least April 2009 was sunny and warm (April 2018 hasn't felt to me regardless of what the stats say). :cool:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    At least April 2009 was sunny and warm (April 2018 hasn't felt to me regardless of what the stats say). :cool:

To be honest, I can't remember April 2009, but I do recall a healthy amount of thunder during the following summer. :)

New Moon

To be honest, I can't remember April 2009, but I do recall a healthy amount of thunder during the following summer. :)

All I remember from that period was my Communion on 23/24 May 2009, both days were very sunny with blue skies here and mid to high teens temperatures and then me going off to Torremolinos, Spain on the 28 July to 4 August for a whole week soaking up the sun and swimming all day long. I would certainly go again! This is where I stayed:

solprincipe-general.jpg

When I came back on the 4 August, it was lovely sunshine in Dublin and so was the 5th so I came back at a good time. :D

EDIT: Just noticed that I showed this last year but with a different image. I really did love that holiday.

Normal service resumed dark heavy showers feels cold again. It was a nice few hours while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The day started off fine but it's improved even more. Cloudless to my east and directly overhead but I haven't seen what it looks like to my west.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing rain here in Cork City now. Was bone dry but wow everything is soaking now very fast.

EDIT: Hailing now

EDIT: Wow this is very heavy, the gutters are overflowing as it can't clear down the pipe fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some fine rumbles coming from this between Castlebar and Westport 30784652_2082517425098703_701115451_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7ac757e47a5a4af21e6e1f4630d776ae&oe=5AE7BC06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny and dry for 3 days straight here, had a party outside friday evening, wedding yesterday and more importantly got the grass cut today, what more could ya want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sunny and dry for 3 days straight here, had a party outside friday evening, wedding yesterday and more importantly got the grass cut today, what more could ya want

bitta heat

After what was a perfect spring day in east Galway with blue skies, calm winds and singing birds, it turned quite vicious in the last half hour with black skies, winds gusting to near gale and a ton of rain. 7.9mm since 6pm alone. Haven't seen anything like this is quite a while.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

After what was a perfect spring day in east Galway with blue skies, calm winds and singing birds, it turned quite vicious in the last half hour with black skies, winds gusting to near gale and a ton of rain. 7.9mm since 6pm alone. Haven't seen anything like this is quite a while.

I've been watching the skies all day and that JUST energy west of us thankfully

Clear skies at Grange all afternoon. That's two consecutive lovely weekends here - can't remember the last time I got to say that. Been a long time coming and my god, GFS 12z is a stonker of a run in FI. Will report on it once the ECM is fully out.

AtDJuwn.jpg

km79 wrote: »
    I've been watching the skies all day and that JUST energy west of us thankfully

Really quite incredible that you missed this. 14.5mm total from that shower and it now looks, and feels like winter out at 6.5c after such a picture postcard day that I even got a little colour in!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

pad199207 wrote: »
    bitta heat

Well it felt warm and very pleasent here, but im sure it was different elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice convergence zone on the radar this evening with a thin straight line of heavy rain from Mayo down to Cork.

No signs of rain here, clear cloudless skies all evening for the second weekend in a row, a bit chilly but perfect weather for a good long jog. Beautiful and great to finally see some greenery again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I have two around 290/300ml flowerpots out the back garden which needed to drill holes in to drain out the water, but never did. However I emptied them of water on the 29th March and as of today there is a quarter of the pot which is not full at the top. Its actually interesting to watch them fill up again :p. Don't think those holes will ever be drilled.

• Advertisement

Advertisement