Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Another dry sunny day here in south sligo but we dodged some serious showers that stayed west and south of here. Heard a few rumbles in the afternoon but no rain again thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Down to 1.2c already in Kildare. Sub zero by early morning I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Wasn't expecting frost this morning. One last one until November I suppose. I will miss the cold mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Another pleasant morning in Dublin. Meanwhile, the south of England is getting drenched with a risk of snow and temperatures won't make it much past 5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did anyone hear the forecast at 7-55am? Evelyn said remember the sun is as strong in April as in August but obviously the temps are different.

Is this true? Just, I see a lot more sun burn in August than I’ve ever seen in April.

• Advertisement

Fell to -1.3c last night in Kildare

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Did anyone hear the forecast at 7-55am? Evelyn said remember the sun is as strong in April as in August but obviously the temps are different.

Is this true?

Yes. Strength of the sun now is same as mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is this true? Just, I see a lot more sun burn in August than I’ve ever seen in April.

Yup. Longest day of the year is 21st June, and has hence the strongest sunshine. (Roughly, perhaps it's off by a few days, perhaps not). Think -/+2 months would.be the same, 21st April is the same as the 21st of August or thereabouts 30th of April is the same as 12th August!

The reason for less sunburn is that it's too feckin cold to sit in the sun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice frost this morning after a low of -2.6c at my station.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Fantastic morning again, blue skies everywhere to be seen. Definitely better than the warm spell if you ask me.

https://twitter.com/MarkyDub/status/990851959149219840

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Utter beauty out here in the Atlantic... Sea as glass, elongated cloud reflections colouring the clarity...calm,still.. a promise of a day.. midges gathering :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

4th day in a row now of it been dry and sunny

4th day in a row now of it been dry and sunny

I wonder when we are going to be punished for it

Beautiful day here. West Mayo, offshore island. Sun and wind and blue blue sky

Graces7 wrote: »
    Beautiful day here. West Mayo, offshore island. Sun and wind and blue blue sky

Ditto here in West Clare.

While the temperatures aren't that high, sunshine in a sheltered area can make it feel quite warm indeed.

We shouldn't be punished for this. This should be making up for the poor start to the month. This isn't enough yet, another few days would be enough.

Excellent in Dublin with lots of sunshine. 4th day in a row of this and 5th if Thursday is counted, which I thought was great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The day here started off promisingly but a band of heavy showers moved in around 330pm and we have had some heavy downpours.

I'm giving April 4/10 back because of the beautiful past few days. Really nice evening and cloudless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice end to the day here in Castlebar, high cloud from tomorrows front is starting to approach from the west. Nice moon rising to the east now :)

MÉ are forecasting rain and thunder for tonight in Dublin. Interesting to see if we do get thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Artane2002 wrote: »
    MÉ are forecasting rain and thunder for tonight in Dublin. Interesting to see if we do get thunder.
    Was that the TV forecast? I don't see it mentioned on the website forecast.

highdef wrote: »
    Was that the TV forecast? I don't see it mentioned on the website forecast.

Their website. From 7pm to 9pm, again at 11pm, midnight, 3am to 7am.

I take thunder forecasts even less seriously than snow so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. I don't find it that exciting either but it's still interesting.

Nice cold morning in Dublin but largely cloudy.

No mention of it in any written forecast, in the TAF or anywhere else. Only on ME's hourly breakdown, which I wouldn't take seriously at all.

Wild wet day. Gale and deluges. West Coast Mayo Offshore island /

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its far too cold in Dublin for thunder, thats lunacy. Very little to no convection in the rainbelt on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    An update on this. Up to the 27th, Knock Airport is at 45.9 hours of sunshine. The current dullest April record for Ireland is 60.1 hours at the same station last year. Up to the 24th, the station had only 29.0 hours of sunshine so it has risen by 16.9 hours in 3 days. If it weren't for these past 3 days and for the rest of the days to remain with very minimal sunshine here, it would have set a new dullest April record for the entirety of the British Isles, not just Ireland! Just the frosting on the cake for how depressing the month has been.

The final April 2018 sunshine total at Knock Airport was 71.1 hours so not a record breaker thanks to the sunny days of the past week. April 2017 keeps the record for lowest April monthly sunshine total in Ireland.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Its far too cold in Dublin for thunder, thats lunacy. Very little to no convection in the rainbelt on the way.

How do you explain the thundersnow that I experienced twice during "The Beast From The East"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wrong.

Even if (localised) thunder was mentioned in the actual forecast I wouldn't read too much into it. It's far too difficult to forecast accurately unless it's a widespread event in which case it's a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing more than spits of rain in the wind here all day, ground still mostly dry. Looks like a heavier pulse may bring a short burst of proper rain here soon.

Advertisement