Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A few drops of rain blowing about. Nothing on the ground, or recorded all day. Again, doesn't really match the radar. It's 11.3C and quite breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Raining in Dublin 5 for the first time since Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Temperature gauge in car showing 8.5 on the way home with light rain,but windy,it has put the end to the sequence of dry days since about Thursday, they were pleasant with light winds,unfortunately temperatures never really reached over 11 degrees max,we had ground frost yesterday morning as well,I would rate the spell as very very nice if it was two months ago, now probably 6/10 because of low max temps.it was useful though for outdoor activities like running or cycling(full winter kit), now my attention is turned to bank holiday if we can keep the Atlantic front away as long as possible,3 dry days with 16 degrees would do me very nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

14.2mm of rain in Castlebar so far today, nearly a quarter of what we got last May in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful day here today love this weather 8 degrees strong wind and rain. Love this time of year.

I’m trying a different tact here for summer.....

• Advertisement

There's been some light rain now. The grounds wet, but nothing recorded yet. It's 10.8C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Raining all day in Waterford City but never got heavy at any stage. 6.3mm since Midnight. Temp steady around 10c. May can only get better after a miserable start.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A mere 2.6mm of rain here today in West Clare. Never particularly heavy, always just persistent and light.

Had some moderate rain just now. There's been 0.8mm recorded now, nearly all in the last half hour. It's 10.2C now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wrong.

Under the current conditions, right, actually. We didn't get any thunder. I do know of thundersnow and thats a totally different beast. For the typical types of thunder/lightning we get at this time of year, we need several days of heat... of a fair few degrees hotter than we have at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some heavy rain for the last half an hour/40 minutes here in Cork City. Was drizzling for most of the day before that. Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I won’t be thanked for this but it’s a winters night out there.

I won’t be thanked for this but it’s a winters night out there.

It's actually a may/spring night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

After a few pleasant days a complete deluge yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Today was freezing on the bike for me cycling to work. Anyway I'm getting mixed reports. Google says the weather will be great in Dublin this weekend, whereas RTE shows it as being cloudy the whole time with 16c as the highest temp.
    Anyone know if it's going to be nice or not?

Looks fairly good, perhaps slightly cooler on east coasts.

Check the daily forecast on the weather forum and Met Eireanns own forecast for more info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking good for the weekend but nothing exceptional for the time of year. Staying mostly dry with some sunny spells and temperatures of 15-18C generally.

What I am really hoping to see is 1-2 days of mostly unbroken sunshine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Gonzo wrote: »

I wonder how many times we actually get that in a year, between may and september when it has potential to be hot or warm? Twice maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    looking good for the weekend but nothing exceptional for the time of year. Staying mostly dry with some sunny spells and temperatures of 15-18C generally.

ECM 0z begs to differ :P.

VkeZGK6.png

GFS in comparison:

yg5zfM5.png

Quite a difference in the upper air temperatures between the two models here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have more faith in Monday for Mayo, have a feeling it will only be about 14C-15C at the weekend with some light rain at times and cloudy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM has improved on it's forecast for Temperatures over the weekend with Monday being the warmest for many. Onshore breeze will keep it cooler on coasts. ECM also showing rain moving up along the Atlantic seaboard at times although amounts seem small overland, might lead to mist / drizzle and cloudy conditions in coastal counties at times, a long way off yet though so no where near certain. Will be keeping an eye as I want to put down some concrete footpaths :)

5sW1DEn.png

AhnNZOd.png

vwiOTKE.png

SQwMCf4.png

QoQpHhk.png

zU9w147.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy hail shower at the moment. Cool

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A close up of some of the warmest temps predicted by the ECM for Monday.

g4DXDRN.png

SwZpZCL.png

Next Weds seeing a possible brief close brush with a deepening depression near to our coasts. This could well drift further North before the time.

ublQWKD.png

qpN174J.png

Great sunshine again after a recent shower, looks like we could get a few more during the day but much prefer it over a day like yesterday's gloom. Fairly low relative humidity as well today at 75%

10.8C
    0.8mm from the last shower.
    Breezy avg 18 km/h NW

xPkNMYj.jpg

9FZgBa6.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thought today would escape mostly dry, but already several heavy showers and feeling very chilly.

Lovely sunshine at Grange and feeling warm in it. Not a single shower, yet.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lovely sunshine at Grange and feeling warm in it. Not a single shower, yet.

10 minutes later.... starts to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    10 minutes later.... starts to rain.

And again just now here in D5.

3 very heavy showers of rain and hail here in the space of 90 minutes, dry again for now.

The UK Met forecast for the next 10 days is quite encouraging, but there is alot of uncertainty after Sunday in how long the settled warm conditions will last and how warm it will get, all to do with the position of the jetstream and how far north it may or may not go. Ireland as always will be much more knife edged compared to the south-eastern half of the UK.

The potential is definitely there for a possibly very nice week next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Planning an outdoor sesh on Monday, anxiously awaiting the 18z for an update :D

Advertisement