Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is the mini beast likely to be a Leinster only event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

As much as I want to believe it I'm not going all in till tomorrow evening, we couldn't get that lucky twice in March, could we...

(sticks head in sand and keeps remembering the 96 hour rule :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Good lord ECM..... maybe there won't be any St. Paddy's Day parades in Dublin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

How does tonight's ECM compare with this time in 2013? I remember heavy rain/sleet/snow during Paddy's Day in Dublin in 2013. Didn't stick at all though. Trying to decide whether to hold some hopes for this spell or not. If we can't have cold/snow then please let's have March 2012 because I am fed up of this wet muck already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

BLIZZARD7 wrote:
    I just hope the rugby isn't affected...

I only copped this today in work while I was beaming telling my everyone we could be in for another blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    How does tonight's ECM compare with this time in 2013? I remember heavy rain/sleet/snow during Paddy's Day in Dublin in 2013. Didn't stick at all though. Trying to decide whether to hold some hopes for this spell or not.

2013 is laughable in comparison to this evening's ECM :pac:.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    2013 is laughable in comparison to this evening's ECM :pac:.
    Good because 2013 was a joke here! In Dublin 5, we had lying snow for 5 minutes on the 1st I think but of course I was in the city centre at the time so I saw no lying snow :rolleyes:. Then we had occasional snow but no lying snow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Good because 2013 was a joke here! In Dublin 5, we had lying snow for 5 minutes on the 1st I think but of course I was in the city centre at the time so I saw no lying snow :rolleyes:. Then we had occasional snow but no lying snow at all.

Let the anger go, man.

I think this year should help assuage your pain.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Let the anger go, man.

I think this year should help assuage your pain.
    I'm not angry at all :p. Even if I was, the late Feb/early March cold was more than enough to calm me down :o.

• Advertisement

Weather Advisory for Munster and Leinster
    Very wet and windy weather is expected to affect mainly Munster and south Leinster during Wednesday.

Issued:Monday 12 March 2018 13:00
    Valid:Wednesday 14 March 2018 00:02 to Wednesday 14 March 2018 23:59

Yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's the chances of having 1 day with no rain before Friday? North Munster. Need to get a job done before Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good lord ECM..... maybe there won't be any St. Paddy's Day parades in Dublin this year.

As long as there’s white gold who cares eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    They may have performed okay for Emma, I.e a frontal event. Pretty useless for convective showers. Also the March sun will set off showers even over land, better for areas further West than it would be mid winter.

13 degrees is the required differential, anything approaching 18 degrees or more can deliver very heavy snow showers. If we get sub -10c 850s I would be confident of heavy showers. The wind direction is very nice for Leinster on Saturday /Sunday on the ECM run.

Just had to play devil's advocate :rolleyes:

I actually wish this could wait a week. Just started a new job today and need to be there, unless of course the govt shuts us down again which they won't for anything less than a blizzard, as per 2010.

Plus..we have a Grand Slam to win.

Mind you England will probably be more handicapped by snowy conditions than we would.

What's the chances of having 1 day with no rain before Friday? North Munster. Need to get a job done before Friday
    This is how it looks:
    Tuesday: Rain later on
    Wednesday: Terrible
    Thursday: Some showers, maybe more prolonged rain early on.
    I'm afraid the odds are very low for a dry day in North Munster before Friday.

Seriously, if this is what you people in the west endure with 90% of the year then I feel terrible for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Jesus if this pulls off I’ll be going to the shops early! The mother thought I was mad telling her to get a few messages In last time , struggled to get a bowl of cerial in to me most mornings !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

O dear! The huge contingent thats coming over from North America, places like Boston, Chicago and Toronto etc will be "snow bound" in the airport by ............ 3 cms.
    Yeah I know, they're used to it and we aren't .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Éireann have just issued a new warning for St. Patrick's Day:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/03/14/met-eireann-predicts-heavy-shower-of-drunken-****-for-st-patricks-day-celebrations/

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is this looking like a possible event for the east only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

leahyl wrote: »
    Is this looking like a possible event for the east only?

Nothing certain so far, if it come off the east will bear the brunt of it but anywhere in the country could be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Could anyone predict the worst/best case scenario off snow starting from the 17th onwards? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

eug87 wrote: »
    Could anyone predict the worst/best case scenario off snow starting from the 17th onwards? Thanks

You mean as a snow fan or a concerned citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kermit has launched an event thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057851222

Posting it here as I always miss them, and nobody can be sanely expected to keep checking the weather homepage. I've requested before to these to always be posted here, but that has gone largely unheeded (bar Syran) much to my dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

You mean as a snow fan or a concerned citizen?

As a concerned JCB owner :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Very wet and windy weather is expected to affect mainly Munster and south Leinster during Wednesday.

STATUS YELLOW

Looking like a blustery wet day across the country on Weds . Widespread winds gusting 80 km/h and higher in places possible ( perhaps up around 90 - 100 km/h on S / SE coasts earlier in the day ). Widespread rain and looks heaviest in southern counties.

tempresult_gtw3.gif

tempresult_inl2.gif

tempresult_jmj5.gif

nmmuk-25-51-0_zkk7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely morning here in West Mayo. Walked the dog early and so calm and still. Came in to see the forecast..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Woke up for work this morning to a lovely almost warm sun rise.

Then I came in here and saw the thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

storm wednesday snow saturday exciting week ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The temp has jumped from 1c to 9c in less than two hours in the spring sunshine. Is this cold snap still a goer? Not really interested, just hoping for a reasonably good summer and optimistic for next winter because solar cycle 25 is predicted to be the quietest "in centuries".

Advertisement