Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Words only, I'm not that much of a hussy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Roasting day in the Diese, I'm posting this naked.

Roasted meatballs and a eggplant for dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's got cloudier here again; that bank of cloud over Britain seems to have edged further west, and the temperature's dropped. It's 20.2C now after an earlier high of 22.8C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s a glorious evening here again warm humid and relatively sunny. Am absolutely loving these evenings. Great to see that so many of us are experiencing proper nice weather

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It got up to 23.9C today in Castlebar, looks like it will be another lovely warm evening, still 22.6C out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at current output, unless we get something along the lines of severe thunderstorms the next couple of days Ireland could be potentially looking at drought conditions or water shortages. This evenings models showing high pressure rebuilding next week over us and looking prolonged.

One would think that it is quite remarkable for farmers given how dire the situation was say a month ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very busy the last couple of days, sweltering inside in town. Got up to 25.1C out here near the coast yesterday and up to 23.6C today, still 21.8C with every window in the house open. The sea is calling !

Shannon doing very well again this evening.

temp_uk_vfl6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

This Spring season started much worse than a normal Irish winter with a blizzard threat but is ending up better than a normal Irish summer with plenty of sunshine and very high temperatures although shy of reaching the threshold of status yellow warnings for high temperatures. Remember the low temperatures at the start of this spring season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    This Spring season started much worse than a normal Irish winter with a blizzard threat but is ending up better than a normal Irish summer with plenty of sunshine and very high temperatures although shy of reaching the threshold of status yellow warnings for high temperatures. Remember the low temperatures at the start of this spring season.

I feel we never really had 'spring' this year. We basically went from 'winter' to 'summer' in the space of about a week. If only this could continue all the way to late October then a very quick transition to the depths of winter in November!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Less breezy today, so despite similar max tenperatures this afternoon as yesterday you got more bang for your buck out of the sun i.e. felt warmer with no constant breeze.

Flat calm out there now but just my luck that the grey muck that has been plaguing the UK has made the trip across the Irish sea - passing hazy conditions however as the cloud is rather thin.

Hopefully overnight the mass of cloud en route from the UK starts to break up so tomorrow is more sunny spells and cloud rather than totally overcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Syran how does this May compare with recent years in terms of railfall and average temp

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolutely divine evening

Sun not as intense so perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Syran how does this May compare with recent years in terms of railfall and average temp

Will have to wait for exact IMT figure because I calculate it at the end of the month when I have all the data available but if I were to make an estimate, it'd be around 12.4 or 12.5c which would make it the warmest May since 2008. I have some doubts about my IMT figure for May 2017 of 12.9c. May 2017 was a very warm month too anyway and itself was the warmest May since 2008 also.

Using MT's figures from the Boards forecast contest, May 2018 (as an estimate) has had 75% of the average rainfall in Ireland which is drier than last May which had 92% whilst May 2016 had 91% making May 2018 the driest May since 2010 that had 69% of the average May rainfall in Ireland for the selected stations used to calculate this data.

Here's how May 2018's maxima of 26.3c holds up in the absolute maximum temperature records for May in Ireland since 1987 assuming this is the final maxima for this month. It is a high temperature for May but it is not a record. For instance, 2012 recently had a maximum of 28.3c in May (then we know what happened afterwards of course :rolleyes:) and 1997 holds the Irish record for May of 28.4c.

5agli6I.png

So, a warm and dry May but not record breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The cloud seems to be breaking up here now. The cloud was orange to the north earlier. The current temperature is 13.9C after a high earlier of 22.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max of 24.9c here in West Clare today, lovely hot day again. 17.3c at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like it could be getting even hotter by the second half of next week.

ECM1-192.GIF?30-0

Good signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That chart above is a strange one to look at.

The last 3 days have been really nice. Shame that I'm not able to enjoy it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gonzo wrote: »
    I feel we never really had 'spring' this year. We basically went from 'winter' to 'summer' in the space of about a week. If only this could continue all the way to late October then a very quick transition to the depths of winter in November!.

Can anyone remember the last time we had this, it was about 6/7 years back I think. A persistent miserable grey easterly that went on from late winter until May, two weeks of Spring and then it was Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Can anyone remember the last time we had this, it was about 6/7 years back I think. A persistent miserable grey easterly that went on from late winter until May, two weeks of Spring and then it was Summer.

2013 or 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Parts of Norway and Sweden have been warmer than Spain lately. The heat is quite exceptional for those countries. For the past 8 days, the high temperatures have been 24-30C in Oslo and the forecast for the next 9 days there is 24-31C. This would be unusual for summer, let alone spring. The duration makes this heatwave even crazier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Still 17.2 here at 11.17pm, with not even a fluff of a breeze.

Enough! :mad:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

its 18c in Sligo

its great but im very sleepy as dont get proper shut eye at night due to humidity.

im doing stupid stuff

its like when the kids were babies again

ideal world same type of days but cooler nights

8 to 10c maybe

so far in this spell temperature in Sligo has been over 19c for past 8 days

and over 21c on 4 of those

26c yesterday and 24.3c today the top 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

17.6C in Castlebar, but the humidity is at 87% making it a bit uncomfortable tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Noticeably more humid tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Still 17.2 here at 11.17pm, with not even a fluff of a breeze.

Enough! :mad:

Please don't say such horrible things. Enjoy the pleasures of this warmth. Throw off the sheets or duvet when sleeping at night and embrace the heat that nature is treating us to.
    Open your bedroom windows for a few hours before bedtime if you like it cooler. In fact, open all available windows.... You'd be surprised how much the house cools down when there is good circulation in place.
    It's rare that it's too warm to sleep in this country, even with no bed sheets over you and as it stands, this warm spell is certainly not noteworthy with regards to uncomfortably warm nights.

Tonight isn't pleasant. I love the heat during the day but when indoor temperatures continue to rise until sunset it gets very uncomfortable at night. Had to close the windows too as it's currently like a Zoo for insects inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

highdef wrote: »
    Please don't say such horrible things. Enjoy the pleasures of this warmth. Throw off the sheets or duvet when sleeping at night and embrace the heat that nature is treating us to.
    Open your bedroom windows for a few hours before bedtime if you like it cooler. In fact, open all available windows.... You'd be surprised how much the house cools down when there is good circulation in place.
    It's rare that it's too warm to sleep in this country, even with no bed sheets over you and as it stands, this warm spell is certainly not noteworthy with regards to uncomfortably warm nights.

Here here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the temperatures we have right now for night time is really comfortable. Most parts of the world experience night time summer temperatures much warmer than we get. Even London and the SE of England get's proper warm nights regularly during the summer, as does most of continental Europe, United States, Canada, Australia, NZ and most of Asia.

Ireland is almost unique in that it rarely experiences a warm night and when it happens, most of our homes are not ready to deal with it. If we all had air conditioning units, warm nights would be very manageable.

I think the temperatures we have right now for night time is really comfortable. Most parts of the world experience night time summer temperatures much warmer than we get. Even London and the SE of England get's proper warm nights regularly during the summer, as does most of continental Europe, United States, Canada, Australia, NZ and most of Asia.

Ireland is almost unique in that it rarely experiences a warm night and when it happens, most of our homes are not ready to deal with it. If we all had air conditioning units, warm nights would be very manageable.

You made your point and discredited it!

These temperatures and much higher are perfectly comfortable in other countries, even SE England, because they're not uncommon. However, with Irish housing we have a strong focus on keeping the heat inside and not letting anything out. That's great methodology most of the time, but on the rare occasion that we do get warm nights it turns into a nightmare as you simply cannot get the heat out.

Anyway, I won't complain, I'm really enjoying the last few days. Walking down the street in 25c is bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We never experience real cold either compared to other parts of the world, yet we feel and complain about the cold in winter and Spring and put on fires and jumpers when the temp falls below 15c. Double standards at play here it seems. We are not on the continent, or the States, or Australia. This is Ireland where our average night time temps in late Spring/Summer are lower and what we are more used to.

All windows are open here all evening but with no hint of a breeze, as I said earlier, this method is proving useless. Temp both downstairs and upstairs near hovering still around 25c, and the dogs... those damn dogs..

New Moon

Advertisement