Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some decently low relative humidity values recorded on the 1pm Met Éireann reports:

98ocYBV.png

Wavering rapidly between 38% - 43% here over the last while.

New Moon

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    Easter fell around mid April and temperatures reached 20C on Holy Thursday and Good Friday..

Can't remember this at all. My birthday has a habit of falling in and around the Easter period most years and the weather on it is usually cool, sunny and maybe showery. If there is one period in the year I hate seasonally and weatherwise, it is the late March - April period. Detest it in fact. In my view, Spring proper doesn't really get going until May, at least then, nature is beginning to spring into life.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Can't remember this at all. My birthday has a habit of falling in and around the Easter period most years and the weather on it is usually cool, sunny and maybe showery. If there is one period in the year I hate seasonally and weatherwise, it is the late March - April period. Detest it in fact. In my view, Spring proper doesn't really get going until May, at least then, nature is beginning to spring into life.

Ironically enough, your parts were the warmest of the entire country. Belmullet recorded 24.2c on Holy Thursday, 17th April 2003.

Beautiful easterly winds bringing in sunshine and warmth.

CFSR_1_2003041718_1.png

That is a nice chart with a proper Scandinavian High. Still can't remember it though for some reason. Probably because I was working nights at the time.

New Moon

Claremorris down to 34% RH on the 2pm reports with Ballyhaise, Mt. Dillon, Dunsany & Phoenix Park on 37%. National average is 49.2%, down from 51.2% in the previous hour.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Humans differ:) I find this weather is uplifting.
    Mild and wet south westerlies, no thanks. We have that for most of the year! The reason i'm loving the cold and snow is there's no guarantee we won't be snowless in years to come, or rather more likely is that it will be a long time before we see as potent an easterly again. I guess some people will be glad if that happens, though. I won't be one of them!

Me too! Thats why I was excited for the snow on sunday. Could easily be 8 consecutive snowless winters after this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Even though the ECM is now falling in line with the other models for a northerly for Easter, something that looks positive for the warmies out there is that our old friend the Azores high seems to have lodged itself back on it's perch in the Azores. It usually wins out in the end in terms of our weather, so I'd imagine April will see a return of "normal" conditions. Even if it is damp, our gardens need it!
    Humans differ:) I find this weather is uplifting.
    Mild and wet south westerlies, no thanks. We have that for most of the year! The reason i'm loving the cold and snow is there's no guarantee we won't be snowless in years to come, or rather more likely is that it will be a long time before we see as potent an easterly again. I guess some people will be glad if that happens, though. I won't be one of them!

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the historic weather of late. But I want these cold charts in Dec/Jan and not almost in April when snow will melt quickly (that is if it reaches lower ground even) and our gardens/farmers suffer.

3pm reports. PP 31%; Athenry & Mt. Dillon 32%.

National average: 46.6%

Edit: 4pm reports: PP & Mt. Dillon 32%

National average: 48.2%.

Enjoy while you can as it will be a while before we see these values as low again.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

For those who don't think that Spring begins on March 1st but at the equinox it is now officially spring as the equinox just happened at 1615.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Fantastic day. If you can't have snow then this is the best type of weather you can get. This was the first time that I sat out for my lunch break since September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fantastic two days
    Only pity is I was out and about so don't have time to get to lawn
    It might never be this dry again !

km79 wrote: »
    Fantastic two days
    Only pity is I was out and about so don't have time to get to lawn
    It might never be this dry again !
    You have tomorrow morning I think but rain will come for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Artane2002 wrote: »
    You have tomorrow morning I think but rain will come for the evening.

Working till early evening sadly
    May get the front done

A song to get us in the mood for the Summer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Here's the Met Monthly Summary Oneric.

So, in spite of 10hPa being cooler than average and no signs of warming up, 30hPa is having another bit of warming going on.

pole30_nh.gif

https://twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/status/976182462341623811

Today is the first day in ages where there isn't a weather warning of some sort. There's almost always a yellow marine weather warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Today is the first day in ages where there isn't a weather warning of some sort. There's almost always a yellow marine weather warning.

Pretty run of the mill for marine warnings in the winter tbf, doesn't really affect land.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Pretty run of the mill for marine warnings in the winter tbf, doesn't really affect land.

I'm sure many people appreciate the warnings but if they are this regular then I don't see the need for them. If those conditions are this regular then I don't see the point of the warnings - they should be used to handling those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm sure many people appreciate the warnings but if they are this regular then I don't see the need for them. If those conditions are this regular then I don't see the point of the warnings - they should be used to handling those conditions.

Again, they are not for use for you and me. They affect very light sea vessels that should not be sailed in windy conditions, or should have alot of care taken in such.

Also, not the place for discussing the merit of weather warnings.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Again, they are not for use for you and me. They affect very light sea vessels that should not be sailed in windy conditions, or should have alot of care taken in such.

Also, not the place for discussing the merit of weather warnings.
    I get what you are trying to say, im not arguing. Youre correct and I fully agree with you. I'm not saying they shouldn't be issued, I'm just saying they are often issued. Obviously there's a reason as to why they are issued. My post was just pointing out that it was strange to see no marine warning.

^ sorry if that sounded condescending, I didn't mean it that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

In my memory Easter 1984 was one of the sunniest ever in south Munster anyway. I seem to recall the whole weekend (Sat-Mon)as days of unbroken sunshine.

In my memory Easter 1984 was one of the sunniest ever in south Munster anyway. I seem to recall the whole weekend (Sat-Mon)as days of unbroken sunshine.

Somebody asked me about the late April period of 1984 before in the Irish Weather Statistics thread, here's the post below I replied to him.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Hey it's perfectly fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions people!

A ridge of high pressure first centred to the west of Scotland and later drifting over the North Sea dominated our weather from the 22nd to the end of the month. As a result, an easterly airflow developed during this fine spell which was unusually warm for April. Glenties, Co. Donegal recorded a mean daily maximum temperature of 20.4c from the 21st-30th! Many other places recorded mean daily maximum temperatures between 17-19c during the same period, one of the warmest periods on record for April. Thursday, April 26th 1984 currently holds the April maximum temperature record for Ireland of 25.8c at Glenties. Easter Sunday itself was just the start of the very warm spell so temperatures weren't remarkably high but it was still a very warm Easter with maximum temperatures between 16-21c. Sunshine was very abundant with many, many places recording between 10-13 hours of sunshine. It was what I like to call the Perfect Easter.

Information gathered from Met Éireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Somebody asked me about the late April period of 1984 before in the Irish Weather Statistics thread, here's the post below I replied to him.

OK thanks for that. I didn`t realize the warm sunny spell lasted for ten days or so. Also as I recall mid and late April 1982 was also mainly dry and sunny followed by a cold wintry start to May that year. Would that be correct?

OK thanks for that. I didn`t realize the warm sunny spell lasted for ten days or so. Also if I recall mid and late April 1982 was also mainly dry and sunny followed by a cold wintry start to May that year. Would that be correct?

Yes, that is correct.

IMTs for both months

April 1982: 8.7 (+0.2 above the 1981-2010 average)
    May 1982: 11.1 (-0.2 below the 1981-2010 average)

NOAA_1_1982042612_1.png

NOAA_1_1982050412_1.png

Cloudy start to the day with a bit of frost in Dublin (not in Artane at the moment). Chilly too. You know there is something wrong when march is more wintry than December or January! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

FI charts for easter weekend are bonkers. Grandson of the Beast potential.

What a serious impact this month will have on agriculture and to a lesser extent tourism. Spring possibly 6-8 weeks behind the norm

It was a better day than I thought it'd be here with some nice Spring sunshine again for the third day in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

This little guy is living the FI dream :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Advertisement