Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Snow in June? How do the farmers journal even publish this man's forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Snow in June? How do the farmers journal even publish this man's forecast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

brookers wrote: »

I've seen people acting prematurely about it to say we're going to be like 1816 this year..... well that was down to the eruption of Mount Tambora. We haven't had a significant enough volcanic eruption since 1991 now. The Iceland volcano wasn't very powerful in comparison to the likes of Mount Tambora and Mount Pinatubo but it was significant enough to cause disruptions and the fact that the eruption took place close to us. Mount Sinabung erupted a few weeks ago but it will not leave the same effects (if studies are correct) historical volcanic eruptions like those named on the atmosphere and cause some cooling around the globe.

Snow in June is possible but it's very rare and me, I find impossible to forecast personally.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 i_love_pie

worst autumn , winter and spring in my lifetime by a distance and il be forty one in august

not one decent week long spell now since july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

'The last snow showers will clear the country on the 11th June'.

I think Ken has mixed up his own country's (New Zealand) forecast for Ireland. June being winter in the southern hemi. #charlatan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Think my Dark Sky app has malfunctioned. :) I’m considering deleting it anyway, it’s not very accurate.

41768460-_C9_B3-48_D8-8176-629895532124.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    'The last snow showers will clear the country on the 11th June'.

I think Ken has mixed up his own country's (New Zealand) forecast for Ireland. June being winter in the southern hemi. #charlatan

No he clearly forecast that this is Irish weather. I see he also predicted snowfall in mid/late October. Has snowfall in October ever been recorded in Ireland away from mountainous altitudes?

No he clearly forecast that this is Irish weather. I see he also predicted snowfall in mid/late October. Has snowfall in October ever been recorded in Ireland away from mountainous altitudes?

The most recent time was October 2008.

Not the greatest video.

See it falling in London here:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Syranbruen just mentioned it below, but yes in October 2008 there was some early snow. Remember being in Drogheda at the time and it snowed for a good few hours, even began sticking for a bit towards the end. Was on the news and everything, it was really freak weather.

November 2010 has made us more familiar with the possibility early snow but it really is very rare before December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Syranbruen just mentioned it below, but yes in October 2008 there was some early snow. Remember being in Drogheda at the time and it snowed for a good few hours, even began sticking for a bit towards the end. Was on the news and everything, it was really freak weather.

November 2010 has made us more familiar with the possibility early snow but it really is very rare before December.

OK thanks. I don`t remember that at all, it never fell in my back yard then.;):p

Also the bould Ken also forecast snow for June this year. I certainly never recall snow falling in Ireland at that time of year but I`m probably wrong about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

October snow has. As recently as 2008. Late October Glenshane Pass impassable. Snow to lower levels too. October snow a god few times. Usually the last few days of the month.

https://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2008-Oct.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Northern Ireland.

Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nowhere near as bad as I expected today. 0.8mm from a short period of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

JCX BXC wrote: »

House feels chilly though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »

About 10 times that amount here. Humid/murky with a light drizzle, back to the same oul ****e.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s been a long winter it really has. And the medium term for Easter looks bad also.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Anyone able to give us their current predictions for summer 2018? All this cold has me craving some sun and Vitamin D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Carol25 wrote: »
    Anyone able to give us their current predictions for summer 2018? All this cold has me craving some sun and Vitamin D

summer is too far away right now, but I think we will be waiting some time before it's T-shirt weather.

Carol25 wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057827376&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It’s been a long winter it really has. And the medium term for Easter looks bad also.

Hibernia was well named.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Can't remember this at all. My birthday has a habit of falling in and around the Easter period most years and the weather on it is usually cool, sunny and maybe showery. If there is one period in the year I hate seasonally and weatherwise, it is the late March - April period. Detest it in fact. In my view, Spring proper doesn't really get going until May, at least then, nature is beginning to spring into life.

I was just about to say the same thing when I read this, February through to April is by a distance my least favourite time of year. Well and truly sick of cold windy weather and yet its still too early for any meaningful warmth or thunderstorms.

At least in April we'll get some convection kicking off and some warmth in the sun, at the moment winter just seems to be dragging on and on

There really are no proper seasons in Ireland though most of the time, today was just a longer version of a December or November day.

Went to Gran Canaria last week it was glorious to get some sun and warmth perfect weather 24 degrees by day about 17 at night.

I don't have a least favourite time of year, I love all seasons. I do have least favourite months though such as August 2011, July 2012, March 2013, May 2015, April 2016 etc.

March 2018 has been dull, cold and wet. The three ingredients to a bad month in my books.

I wouldn't call 17c at night perfect weather exactly though......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There are already huge snowdrifts in the highest parts of Wicklow and with a lot more to come I wouldn't be surprised if there will be snow patches left in June!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't have a least favourite time of year, I love all seasons. I do have least favourite months though such as August 2011, July 2012, March 2013, May 2015, April 2016 etc.

March 2018 has been dull, cold and wet. The three ingredients to a bad month in my books.

It’s a lot better than 7 degrees and gloomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Was dull earlier with some sunny breaks so it wasn't too bad. Then the rain arrived combined with the dry ground giving off a nice smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

sryanbruen wrote: »

March 2018 has been cold, dull and wet?!!! If I was on Mars for the past month, I would never know by your post that we've just lived through the most extraordinary snow storm in most of our lives!!!!!!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

derekon wrote: »
    March 2018 has been cold, dull and wet?!!! If I was on Mars for the past month, I would never know by your post that we've just lived through the most extraordinary snow storm in most of our lives!!!!!!!

D
    Agreed, you'd swear March had been a boring month.

As for 17c at night, that sounds perfect for a late evening BBQ.... Nearer 20c after dark in the summer would be even better but beggars can't be choosers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was just about to say the same thing when I read this, February through to April is by a distance my least favourite time of year.

February, if you enjoy snow, is usually one of the best months of the year. You obviously have fallen out of love with it. Maybe after a few years of snowless winter you will learn to love it again:(
    As for this March, if you like snow it has been anything but boring!, and it has put to bed one falsehood around snow:that we can't get any decent snow fall and cold after mid February!

Advertisement