Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurosport player to tv?

Options
  • 01-03-2018 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Rather than clog up the bargains thread I'm being obedient, thoughtful and responsible and starting a separate thread for my question :)

I saw the 29.99 bargain and figured that's pretty good for a year's sport (cycling). The interface / menu is a bit clunky but the streaming looks good.

Just wondering what's the best way to get it on my tv. -What do y'all do that works well. Old school cable and laptop? or can you cast from the app? (I've resisted buying a chromecase but I'd go for one for this). Or smart tv browser?

Cripes it's only been on in the background for 5 minutes and already Kirby has my teeth starting to itch... :rolleyes::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Chromecast and then use Chrome browser to cast to the tellybox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Raam wrote: »
    Chromecast and then use Chrome browser to cast to the tellybox.

Sound. And (apologies for the tech-Frediness) do you cast from the laptop, or can you do it from the dog'n bone?

That's via desktop app. Not noticed if phone app will cast. Phone is somewhere in house and too lazy to search for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Raam wrote: »
    Not noticed if phone app will cast.

It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Can cast from the phone too.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    It does.

Sweet!

Chrome cast is worth getting. I use it for Netflix, Youtube all the time.

You got an Xbox or PS4 in the house OP ? They recently revived their app on those.

I bought a chromecast last year during the Giro when they had a 29.99 offer for a sub and even with the cost of a chromecast I feel I've got my monies worth and looking at the next week alone 2 major stage races and 2/3 major 1 days races this weekend . Hate when stage races overlap I get confused as to who is racing in which one :D

Chromecast is handy for a few things but if you have a laptop a simple hdmi cable to the tv will see you right and the racing full screen.

EDIT: and if carlton kirby is calling a race see if they have an ad free no commentary feed available :D

To be fair he's actually been fairly OK when calling the world track champs this evening. Good effort by Lydia this evening too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it's available in a fire TV stick I'd just get that instead.

I think it is, need to check mine. Use it over the Chromecast these days even if it doesn't let me use Amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Weepsie wrote: »

I think it is, need to check mine. Use it over the Chromecast these days even if it doesn't let me use Amazon prime

Eurosport Player app is no longer available for the Fire TV Stick afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

chromecast and app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Weepsie wrote: »

I agree with this, that basically buying something with casting ability built-in has its advantages.

It's very much down to your circumstances of course, but I have a Chromecast and a separate mutlimedia player (with no casting capability), and it's a bit of a pain losing 2 HDMI inputs for them and flitting back and forth between them as needed. Given the choice I'd have just one device that provided both pieces of functionality (plus a Netflix client too if we are talking about an ideal situation here) - less stuff to turn on, less power used, less remotes to have to wrestle with, etc., etc.

Unlike bikes, electronic kit is one area where "you can never have too many" really is lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

we'd to buy a new telly a couple of months back, and there's an official Eurosport App available from the Samsung 'marketplace'(?) that ye download for free to your TV, and then you can watch it directly on your TV without the WiFi-sapping* broadcast-from-my-phone hassle that just doesn't work right for me.
    30eur until next March which I thought was quite good (we dumped Sky, so haven't got ES as a channel anymore).

Even with our rural broadband** I have to say gives a very sharp picture. App is easy to use etc. Tomorrow will be the first important test as we're gonna watch the womens race and then the mens afterwards, live and in full expectation that we can see it all uninterrupted. We watched the last two races over the last week without any issues anyway.

Of course, if ye haven't got a Samsung Smart TV then this is no use to you (and to be honest the Samsung TV is a pile of ****e, I'd never buy another one...all sorts of 'known issues' with dropping channels and recordings failing etc etc)

* might just be our ****ty router/broadband
    ** rural BB will get ye 3Mbps if you're lucky, none of this superfast fibre here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I realised just this week that a Eurosport Player add-on/client is available for Kodi. So if you have a media player that runs Kodi, then you should be able to install the client directly on it and eliminate the need to cast from the app on a mobile device.

For those that don’t have the likes of a Chromecast, but do have such a media player, this means you can display Eurosport Player on your TV without having to buy any extra hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Eurosport app used to work on my tv but then they updated it and my tv is no longer supported!
    Then I used to watch on a browser on tv, until they check IP address of TV to say it's not availble in my country (irl).
    Gave up trying to fix it with alternative browsers, VPN, sideloading apps etc

I now just cast from the app direct to tv and watch that way. (which odly with the same IP address causes no issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Eurosport app on smart Samsung TV for me, dead handy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Chromecast here, and on one of my android tv boxes (will have to sideload on the other), although on the TV box I've found during the recent races that the catch up quality is better than the live stream - i.e. I was better watching the catch up Paris-Nice, rather than the highlights that were on live at the time. Hadn't noticed this casting though, which I did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 banjotradman

every so slightly off topic - but i just signed up to the player for cycling.
    is it just me, or is the on-demand service ****e? or am i using the app wrong? some of the races have no commentary (controversial - i'd prefer carlton than nothing!). I watched milan sanremo - the first 45 minutes had russian commentary, and then switched to english. it just seems quite random. emailed them, but tumbleweed so far.
    wondering if its better to add ES to a bundle on the tv package, and just record the races live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

every so slightly off topic - but i just signed up to the player for cycling.
    is it just me, or is the on-demand service ****e? or am i using the app wrong? some of the races have no commentary (controversial - i'd prefer carlton than nothing!). I watched milan sanremo - the first 45 minutes had russian commentary, and then switched to english. it just seems quite random. emailed them, but tumbleweed so far.
    wondering if its better to add ES to a bundle on the tv package, and just record the races live.

They usually have both (with or without commentary)

When you go into "On Demand" you should see the Eurosport 1 or 2 symbol in the Top Left corner and this has Commentary. The one without this symbol is the "Raw" footage from the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

07Lapierre wrote: »
    When you go into "On Demand" you should see the Eurosport 1 or 2 symbol in the bottom right corner and this has Commentary. The one without this symbol is the "Raw" footage from the race.
    This. Well on the thumbnail anyway, I think it's top left on my android box.

Although not to say the on demand is that great - it's obviously set up to automatically create rather than manually edited, so I've had a race or two where it has cut off with a few K to go (mainly the semi-classics rather than the bigger races, but still!), and during Paris-Nice/ Tirreno you'd sometimes get the final of the Tirreno stage at the start of the on-demand of Paris Nice.

Worth mentioning they don't edit races into highlights either, it's just a replay of the timeslot. So in the event a race runs over and you are watching it on demand you may have to find what was next in the schedule. Doesn't happen often but can with the longer one day races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 banjotradman

sound - thanks for the tips. i was just finding the whole set up a bit strange, with little info / direction. it's no bbc iplayer.
    but for 30 euros for a year, and the ability to watch the big tours on my iphone while the kids watch paw patrol on tv, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Using the player app on Android and casting to my (dumb) TV here. Does anyone else think that the pic from the player is significantly worse quality than Eurosport HD on Sky?

Even though my TV is saying the pic is 1080p 50Hz, the pic definitely doesn't look HD and the frame rate looks like something from the silent movie days.

I'm guessing that the chromecast is upscaling what is a pretty crappy source pic from the app. Fine on a phone but not on the telly!

Mind you, even with a sub-par pic quality, Flanders is still an awesome race!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Better to go laptop to TV. Looks mint. Proper HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Thanks folks. Will try out the laptop with HDMI cable and see how that looks. Inconvenient compared to casting though. Netflix can cast full HD with no issues, so would be great if Eurosport got the finger out and did a better job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

MediaMan wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Will try out the laptop with HDMI cable and see how that looks. Inconvenient compared to casting though. Netflix can cast full HD with no issues, so would be great if Eurosport got the finger out and did a better job!

I have similar issues with the eir/bt sport app. Picture when still looks fantastic but when there is quick movement there is a sort of drag/lag, hard on the eyes.

Anyone else got the Spanish feed instead of the english one for Pais Vasco today?

Advertisement