Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lahvlahn: The "Snow Show Like a Joe Show" Edition - 01/03 two-eighteen so to speak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

zell12 wrote: »
    Gin & Tonic, caller

GOOD LORD! Gunpowder gin with fever tree mixer I'll have you know. Peasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Paper, notes, memory.
    Funny old things, but they worked, mostly.
    Surprisingly, very few massive trucks got driven down unfeasibly small roads into a boggy field.

google maps has taken my friend (driving a lorry and 4 axle low loader) down some very small roads !!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Looks like I missed some GOLD and dat yesterday so to speak? Should I listen back? Text N for NOW and Y for LATER to de usual number.

De Brand NEW & IMPROVED so to speak 2-18 Joe Duffy Wurkday Calculator and dat:

Wurkdays in 2-18 and dat: 63
    Joe Shows: 53
    No Show Joe Shows: 10
    Breakeens 4 Joe: 10

PBH (de full-time host of de show) Shows: 5 Foyve (first show for de full-time host on March 9th, second show on March 26th!)
    PBH guest appearances and dat: 1
    D'Omen Shows: 4
    AN Udder Shows: 0
    Good Fryday No Show by nobody at all at all: 1

NEW FEATURE SO TO SPEAK:
    Fateen's Estimated Fees (De FEF Matrix so to speak) to date dis year: €132,500*
    (not including de EXTRA FEES for 3 days of De Beast From De East TV + Radio Simulcast Xtravaganza + likely "Danger Money" for travelling to and from wurk in de snow and dat).

King-World-News-WTF-Is-Going-On-Here-864x400_c.jpg
    *de fees are calculated at €2,500 per show x days dat Fateen is in so to speak. Dose fees are likely conservative and outdated as day are 2 years old so to speak.
    I'm including Good Fryday as a Wurkday as it is not an official Bank Holiday/Holiday Day. Even Pat Kenny is in Newstalk FFS, but no-one in RTE of course of course. Philip is doing a Joe on it taking a little break-een for himself after the 4 hard days 5 hours (incl. ad break-eens) in a row so to speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Looks like I missed some GOLD and dat yesterday so to speak? Should I listen back? Text N for NOW and Y for LATER to de usual number.

N for now Butters.

Some 24carat lahvlahn yesterday....... We had callers in ignorance of the law,just because. Tears....just because.
    And PBH simpering to the lefty liberal agenda...just because he's spineless.

PBH is taking Monday off too dahlin'.
    One is tired from the onslaught of peasants.
    Tally ho and toodle pip old bean. Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mountain

It’s worth a listen for the woman who was done for using the phone while stopped at traffic lights,

I’m a mother of 5 children!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mountain wrote: »
    It’s worth a listen for the woman who was done for using the phone while stopped at traffic lights,

I’m a mother of 5 children!!!

She's insufferable. Absolutely obnoxious.

Male caller that rang in wrecked her head, the world owes her a living !

any live line today, so to speak ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

2smiggy wrote: »
    any live line today, so to speak ?

None, but the had a really good doc. on about a pair of kids who hopped on a DART in 1985 and just kept on going. Great story and a really well made piece of radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

meep wrote: »
    None, but the had a really good doc. on about a pair of kids who hopped on a DART in 1985 and just kept on going. Great story and a really well made piece of radio.

Started off good but too many soundbites of american tv and noises in the background drove me to distraction - had to switch it off. Story is good though and detailed from the narrator who was one of the boys I assume.

• Advertisement

ya i left that on, interesting story. I had heard about them before, amazing how they got through all the security. Pre 9/11 i suppose !!

ya i left that on, interesting story. I had heard about them before, amazing how they got through all the security. Pre 9/11 i suppose !!

I got on a plane in america pre 9/11 with a Usit card as ID. World has changed a lot since then.

I listened back....what a deluded, entitled geebag (and I'm being kind there). Some comments:

• On the promo yesterday PBH made it sound like she had just prior to making this journey home found out she had breast cancer. It was actually 3 weeks previously. What's the statute of limitations on using an illness as an excuse btw?
    • She spent the first few minutes swearing she wasn't on the phone but merely plugging it in, then lets it slip more than once she was on a call to her husband
    • She also said she was stopped at a red light whlst doing this, then it was she was "mostly stationary"...which implies the car was moving at some stage while she was doing it. She also used both hands for this procedure so there was some time (even if only a second or two) she had no hands on the car's steering wheel whilst doing this
    • Phone was about to die first, when Garda looks at it it's at 27%
    • In her eyes, ignorance of the law is a defence - much like many Lahv Lahn listeners of course of course :rolleyes:. "I wasn't aware of it, and anyone I've spoken to wasn't aware of it" - therefore I should be exempt logic. "It's absolutely not highlighted" ; ah, it very much was at the time
    • Some quotes: "I've just been diagnosed with breast cancer", "I was heading into hospital the very next day", "I have 5 children", "my husband has just buried his mother", "You stopped me, I didn't stop you", ""Show me some leniency", "I burst into tears", "I was in tears", "I burst into tears - you can't bring tears on", "Why are you being so unfair to me", "I don't think he was being fair", "A woman who commits a crime up to 18months after having a baby is not charged in the normal way because of the hormones", "I was not doing anything dangerous", "I told him I wouldn't be paying the fine", "I accept I broke the law but it is so unknown", "How come we can use it for google maps", "You're not the person to have this argument with" (because you disagree with me basically!), "I don't have time for this, I'm very busy", "I'm not trying to convince anyone I was doing the right thing! I asked the Guards for leniency because of my circumstances", "Of course I'm upset! Because you're the same", "Can you not see that he had no humanity?"
    • When PBH dared to question her (and to be fair it wasn't exactly a Guantanamo Bay style interrogation), she turned on him. When the caller (William) also dared to question her - and him with such a common accent, she hung up. Such classy behaviour
    • We got one side of that story - her; I'd love to hear the Garda who stopped hers version. I think it's fair to say given her behaviour on the radio yesterday, it wouldn't exactly be a shock to here she was a condescending, patronising c*nt to him. I'd say if he was listening too he might take issue with some of the things she said about him and may decide to take further action
    • Dear people feigning ignorance of this law - ask me bollix. It was everywhere at the time, papers, tv, and almost every radio talk show covered it incl. several show on Da Lahv Lahn about it
    That was in less than 11minutes!

I know I'm pretty amazing :rolleyes:, but surely I can't be the only person in Ireland who hears about changes to the law in advance of them coming into action. Likewise with Public Service Announcements; to listen to Da Lahv Lahn, it often appears that I'm the only person in the whole country who hears them. :rolleyes:

turbbo wrote: »
    I got on a plane in america pre 9/11 with a Usit card as ID. World has changed a lot since then.

Esp. if your name is Muslim O'Gun-Bomb*.

*Frankie Boyle joke. No stealing jokes here! You should mention dat to Brindin Joe next time you're talking to him........

Uncharted wrote: »
    N for now Butters.

PBH is taking Monday off too dahlin'.
    One is tired from the onslaught of peasants.
    Tally ho and toodle pip old bean. Huzzah!

Now I'm not one to defend the incredibly, ridiculously, grotesquely over-paid contracted staff of the state broadcaster, but it is a Bank Holiday.

Speaking of PBH, I very briefly caught a snip of him on "You Are What You Eat" on RTE 1 last night as I was channel surfing. He's aged a lot since I last saw him. The stress of having to drive on the N11 from Wickle-low to Montrose a few times a month would catch up on anyone I suppose. :rolleyes:

I listened back....what a deluded, entitled geebag (and I'm being kind there). Some comments:
    • Phone was about to die first, when Garda looks at it it's at 27%

Just this week my phone went from 23% to completely dead.

There is obviously a massive difference between plugging in a phone for charging in a car stopped at lights than texting or calling or using some app.

Now I'm not one to defend the incredibly, ridiculously, grotesquely over-paid contracted staff of the state broadcaster, but it is a Bank Holiday.

Speaking of PBH, I very briefly caught a snip of him on "You Are What You Eat" on RTE 1 last night as I was channel surfing. He's aged a lot since I last saw him. The stress of having to drive on the N11 from Wickle-low to Montrose a few times a month would catch up on anyone I suppose. :rolleyes:

Good show that in fairness to the Posh git.

Just this week my phone went from 23% to completely dead.

iPhone? Happens at the end of the battery life. My last iPhone (a mere 5, the shame!) used to go from (examples only) 87% to 3% instantly, 30%-ish to off etc. Plug it back in and it would revert to what the higher figure was. Very frustrating......your phone is about to die completely btw if it's that....click.ie do some good deals on refurbs though! :pac::pac: At least according to the show!

iPhone? Happens at the end of the battery life. My last iPhone (a mere 5, the shame!) used to go from (examples only) 87% to 3% instantly, 30%-ish to off etc. Plug it back in and it would revert to what the higher figure was. Very frustrating......your phone is about to die completely btw if it's that....click.ie do some good deals on refurbs though! :pac::pac: At least according to the show!

LOL - apple just replaced the battery under warranty 3 weeks ago.
    Either you're completely wrong and I need to run the battery in a bit - or they didn't change the battery at all.

There is obviously a massive difference between plugging in a phone for charging in a car stopped at lights than texting or calling or using some app.

I'm not saying there isn't; but the law is the law.

She also said she was "mostly stationary" btw, which implies she was moving at some point of this. As I said in my longer post, we got one side of this. I'd love to have heard the Garda's version. I suspect it may have been different to hers.

• Advertisement

LOL - apple just replaced the battery under warranty 3 weeks ago.
    Either you're completely wrong and I need to run the battery in a bit - or they didn't change the battery at all.

Was trying to help by telling you of my own experience and relaying what I was told by my phone supplier, that's all. I wasn't to know your battery had been replaced. Haven't heard the term "run the battery in", but then again I'm not an iPhone Technician.

You should listen back to the "lady" from yesterday (if you didn't hear it at the time though).

Was trying to help by telling you of my own experience and relaying what I was told by my phone supplier, that's all. I wasn't to know your battery had been replaced. Haven't heard the term "run the battery in", but then again I'm not an iPhone Technician.

You should listen back to the "lady" from yesterday (if you didn't hear it at the time though).

Fair enough - but 27% means nada in smart phones - from my experience.

If she hadn't mentioned anything else and just said she got done for plugging her phone on charge while driving I would agree with her that the guard in question could have shown discretion. I know he/she doesn't have to because the law is the law - but the law in this case is an ass - hence expecting some discretion. BTW I did listen - and I agree she brought up a lot of emotive reasons for this and for that, and she would have been better off just sticking to the basic facts of what actually happened when explaining her story.That is of course me believing what she said - but why go on the radio and not tell the truth - what are you looking to gain from that - I suspect she was telling the truth and that she was looking for some assurance that other people would feel the same way as her. People disliked her bringing in other reasons for getting off on the charge that she had invented in her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

If she hadn't mentioned anything else and just said she got done for plugging her phone on charge while driving I would agree with her that the guard in question could have shown discretion. I know he/she doesn't have to because the law is the law - but the law in this case is an ass - hence expecting some discretion. BTW I did listen - and I agree she brought up a lot of emotive reasons for this and for that, and she would have been better off just sticking to the basic facts of what actually happened when explaining her story.That is of course me believing what she said - but why go on the radio and not tell the truth - what are you looking to gain from that - I suspect she was telling the truth and that she was looking for some assurance that other people would feel the same way as her. People disliked her bringing in other reasons for getting off on the charge that she had invented in her head.

But her arguments were confounded when she revealed the logic of needing to plug the phone in. Conversation went something like this (paraphrasing from memory):

Her: battery was almost gone. Phone was going to die'
    Garda: (looks at phone) 'It's at 23%, that's not going to die'
    Her: 'Well it would if an app started'

That sounds like she was intending to use some app while she was driving along and needed to power up the phone to ensure she could use it.

27% lasts a long time in my current iPhone to be fair. And, again to be fair, I'm always shocked at how long the last 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1% in particular lasts. But maybe it's how many apps etc. you have open and running in the background etc.? I tend to close everything down after I use it though (OCD-related I'm sure).

But her arguments were confounded when she revealed the logic of needing to plug the phone in. Conversation went something like this (paraphrasing from memory):

Her: battery was almost gone. Phone was going to die'
    Garda: (looks at phone) 'It's at 23%, that's not going to die'
    Her: 'Well it would if an app started'

That sounds like she was intending to use some app while she was driving along and needed to power up the phone to ensure she could use it.

From the sounds of her on the phone to Philip (in what should have been a non-adversarial situation) I can imagine her being a full-on, aggressively confrontational type when confronted by a member of "the constabulary".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Jeff2

From the sounds of her on the phone to Philip (in what should have been a non-adversarial situation) I can imagine her being a full-on, aggressively confrontational type when confronted by a member of "the constabulary".

It was a not subject but for the fact she was told she was ill days or weeks ago and she has 5 kids who could be any age.
    I'm special so let me off.
    Arhhhararr rage.

Little Lord Fauntleroy in for Fateen again. Expect lots of "Good Lord"s

• Sex with Philip Boucher Hayes.....what words have you heard describing sex so to speak - a ghastly version of intimacy, a little bit whimsical, a little Victorian (right up your alley then PBH?) so to speak
    • What has made you think "lock up your daughters"
    • Consent (can any Newstalk or RTE broadcaster hide their disgust at that verdict?) and dat
    • James didn't get a mortgage because the computer says no - what is he to do?
    • Gambling companies targeting losers....never! "Really, really sophisticated stuff like free bets" sez Philip :rolleyes:

Potential Gold in the sex section! Tally ho chaps!

De Brand NEW & IMPROVED so to speak 2-18 Joe Duffy Wurkday Calculator and dat:

Wurkdays in 2-18 and dat: 64
    Joe Shows: 53
    No Show Joe Shows: 11
    Breakeens 4 Joe: 11

PBH (de full-time host of de show) Shows: 6
    PBH guest appearances and dat: 1
    D'Omen Shows: 4
    AN Udder Shows: 0
    Good Fryday No Show by nobody at all at all: 1

NEW FEATURE SO TO SPEAK:
    Fateen's Estimated Fees (De FEF Matrix so to speak) to date dis year: €132,500*
    (not including de EXTRA FEES for 3 days of De Beast From De East TV + Radio Simulcast Xtravaganza + likely "Danger Money" for travelling to and from wurk in de snow and dat).

King-World-News-WTF-Is-Going-On-Here-864x400_c.jpg
    *de fees are calculated at €2,500 per show x days dat Fateen is in so to speak. Dose fees are likely conservative and outdated as day are 2 years old so to speak.
    I'm including Good Fryday as a Wurkday as it is not an official Bank Holiday/Holiday Day. Even Pat Kenny is in Newstalk FFS, but no-one in RTE of course of course.

what is the hot topic of misery today ?

Will Joe talk about the trial of the rugby lads up North. Probably not, he would not be too keen on the idea of getting sued i'd imagine. Any thing else terrible happening at the moment ?

Perhaps the teachers , and the threat of strike. Did not the current teachers strike a deal to protect their own wages , to the detriment of newly qualified teachers. Now they are standing in solidarity with them ?

• Advertisement

what is the hot topic of misery today ?

Will Joe talk about the trial of the rugby lads up North. Probably not, he would not be too keen on the idea of getting sued i'd imagine. Any thing else terrible happening at the moment ?

Perhaps the teachers , and the threat of strike. Did not the current teachers strike a deal to protect their own wages , to the detriment of newly qualified teachers. Now they are standing in solidarity with them ?

Joe? Joe? Joe? :pac::pac::pac::pac: Good one caller!

Joe will (possibly) be back next week. Joe doesn't work too long without a little breakeen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement