Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow 2018

Options
  • 01-03-2018 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

Just attempted to go to work in Castledermott from Newbridge. Road from Athgarvan to Kilcullen very very bad. Especially the hollow about half a mile out of Athgarvan. Had to get towed out of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Also a MASSIVE shout out to the taxi man I met going the other way. Left his house in Kilcullen at 4am to get to Newbridge for 6am to bring 2 people to Dublin for kidney dialysis. A hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Anyone know if Naas Oil are delivering? I ordered oil off them on Monday, for delivery Tuesday and it was rescheduled to Thursday. I ran out yesterday and have a 6 month old in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Anyone know if Naas Oil are delivering? I ordered oil off them on Monday, for delivery Tuesday and it was rescheduled to Thursday. I ran out yesterday and have a 6 month old in the house.

Give them a ring , I saw one of there trucks delivering oil at 3.30 yesterday

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Definitely ring them. My neighbours got oil yesterday from them.

beertons wrote: »
    Definitely ring them. My neighbours got oil yesterday from them.

I’ve been trying to ring them. Getting a voicemail message.

• Advertisement

From the banner at the top of their website
    Please Note: Due to Met Eireann extreme weather warnings we are fully booked up until early next week. If you place an order please be advised that payment will be taken at time of placing your order.

A facebook search has a few people saying they are not delivering till Monday.

Conspectus wrote: »
    From the banner at the top of their website
    Please Note: Due to Met Eireann extreme weather warnings we are fully booked up until early next week. If you place an order please be advised that payment will be taken at time of placing your order.

A facebook search has a few people saying they are not delivering till Monday.

I saw that too. Just a bit peeved that I ordered on Monday and they rescheduled it.

If it's anything like my area there isn't a hope of getting a truck out.

Bet bet is to get few litres off a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any shops open in Celbridge? Suddenly I'd love a bag of crisps.. :rolleyes:

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any shops open in Celbridge? Suddenly I'd love a bag of crisps.. :rolleyes:

We finished all our last night. I'll be heading out for a few multi packs later myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Trying to work that out too...SuperValu is closed but petrol station may open at 1pm, but keep an eye on their Facebook. Any shops in Leixlip open?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Heard apple green on dublin road celbridge is open. And daybreak opening shortly.
    Wouldnt say They will have much stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Spar in Barnhall is open from 12-30, was just in touch with them!

My brother says all lidls are opening at 2pm. He's a manager of one. There will be no deliveries so whatever they have is whatever they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

What's Captain's Hill in Leixlip like at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Anyone know what the roads around the curragh are like at the moment? I need to attempt to get somewhere I can commute to work from and am in two minds as to whether to try and get home from wexford, or just go to a friend's in Dublin for tomorrow? Any insight welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

TG1 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the roads around the curragh are like at the moment? I need to attempt to get somewhere I can commute to work from and am in two minds as to whether to try and get home from wexford, or just go to a friend's in Dublin for tomorrow? Any insight welcome!

Road around the Bush are OK. Big hill in Curragh Camp is closed. (or was yesterday)

Kildare really got it bad. Was in Maynooth yesterday, heading to Naas. Single lane out towards Barberstown, only got to the Esb sub station, had to turn back. Drove back up to the m50, red cow and down the n7.

There should have been local lads employed to clear roads, instead of shouting code red and immobilizing everyone. Apparently that's what they did in 1982.

My mother has been stuck in her house, so the anger has been brewing. She said she'd rather someone out doing the roads, rather than extra pension money for coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I saw KCC tweeting last night that Maynooth to Straffan was passable and they were hoping to clear Clane to Sallins before end of the night. Didn't see anything on Straffan to Clane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

beertons wrote: »
    There should have been local lads employed to clear roads

Randomers with no training, no equipment, no insurance, no instructions, no contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

long_b wrote: »
    Road around the Bush are OK. Big hill in Curragh Camp is closed. (or was yesterday)

The road from the Camp to Ballymany was open again last night. Some parts of the road from Suncroft to Brownstown still had pinch points due to drifts but everything should be passable according to KCC.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Randomers with no training, no equipment, no insurance, no instructions, no contracts?

You don't need lessons in using a shovel.

They got by in 82 with no problems.

I see KCC tweeting looking for assistance from the 'farming community and qualified machinery operators' in North Kildare and around Rathangan.

No contact details or other information so I guess it is just a case of 'get to it'?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

There have been plows and gritters working hard all over the place. We're hardly 24 hours past the event. It takes time to move the huge amounts of snow that fell across Kildare. Main roads and re-establishing the transport network across the badly affected counties is the first priority so that people and deliveries can start flowing between towns and villages again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alice carroll

I've been stuck in my house with only my dogs for company since Tuesday lunch time. In all that time I have not seen a person or had a face to face conversation. Stir crazy at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Sallins to Naas is single lane in some places due to cleared snow being pushed onto large drifts and these are now compacted. This will require a serious effort to clear today (Sunday) otherwise there will be severe traffic delays tomorrow.

Has anyone driven from Sallins to Clane - is it two lane all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Sallins to Naas is single lane in some places due to cleared snow being pushed onto large drifts and these are now compacted. This will require a serious effort to clear today (Sunday) otherwise there will be severe traffic delays tomorrow.

Has anyone driven from Sallins to Clane - is it two lane all the way?

I drove through Clane this morning. The main street is a fecking disaster. I had to go by the Westgrove hotel which is just as bad. I didn't notice any traffic coming from the Sallins road at the roundabout. I will have to go to work that way tomorrow as the Mondello road is closed. :(

Newbridge main street is fairly good but all the snow is packed up to the side so be careful if parking. Seen one man getting a push from the spots in front of where Cafe Continental is.

Just seen a video of the Maynooth - Straffan earlier - my goodness. 'Passable' is right. Hard to see many of the R roads handling their usual volumes tomorrow unless there is a big improvement this afternoon.

Any word on schools - I have heard the secondary school in Maynooth isn't open tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth-Staffan closed at 2 for heavier clearing.

The Maynooth-Celbridge road is still an utter mess; motorway is an option but it means the 67 is still terminating in Celbridge.

Advertisement