Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone planning on running outside today with gyms closed?

• 01-03-2018 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I had read on FB that some people were planning on running outside. I think this is madness. I was out walking last night for 2 km each way and it was both dangerous and freezing on any exposed parts of the body.

It took me about half an hour to do the 2k and the same coming home.

I think sitting it out for the next two days is advisable although the cabin fever will be a killer.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ran yesterday, it was fine. Only dodgy place to run was the tracks from the rangers trucks in the park. But could run between or either side of them. Looks fine again here today and will be going out shortly. I could just do laps of the 'hill' in our estate anyway which is 600m round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Ran yesterday, it was fine. Only dodgy place to run was the tracks from the rangers trucks in the park. But could run between or either side of them. Looks fine again here today and will be going out shortly. I could just do laps of the 'hill' in our estate anyway which is 600m round.

What shoes were you wearing and were you on the grass?
    I could hardly stay on my feet on the compressed snowy paths that were icy as well. The wind was also very severe on open roads with poor visibility when it started snowing again.

I think all local parks are closed today as well so you're lucky if you live near the Phoenix park.

I'll stick to my walking, can't risk an injury at my age :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Come to Wicklow!
    It's like the Twilight Zone here. Very little snow. I've been running as normal with just the odd icy patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Went for a run yesterday around the local park, there was loads of grip on the uncompacted snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I broke out the yaktrax last night and had no problem on the icy paths, but headed for the mountain trails for my first run in my trail shoes. Just soft snow up there.
    The runs were so slow though that I question the benefits so unless I can find a treadie today, I'm considering taking a day off for some essential maintenance (strength and core). If you are planning on running today, fresh snow only or get yourself some yaktrax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

Is it really worth running the risk of serious injury just to keep running in this weather?

I run & understand the motivation/buzz but people need to use common sense as well.

Take a couple of down days & be better able for running when things clear up rather than potentially slipping and breaking a leg and being out for ages

I broke out the yaktrax last night and had no problem on the icy paths, but headed for the mountain trails for my first run in my trail shoes. Just soft snow up there.
    The runs were so slow though that I question the benefits so unless I can find a treadie today, I'm considering taking a day off for some essential maintenance (strength and core). If you are planning on running today, fresh snow only or get yourself some yaktrax.

Had to google them, they're exactly what I need. You've just reminded me that I have a brand spanking new pair of trail runners in the boot the past 6 months that I forgot about. Hopefully they'll do for walking in the compact snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Running on grass today and its fine . Not a fan of the road and would steer clear unless have snowgrips on shoes. Nowhere near as bad as 2009/10 years here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I ploughed a few miles through the snow on a dirt track and it was fine as well, not slippery at all. It was perfectly safe.

I cut it short and went home when the wind picked up and I started getting cold / got bored with doing laps.

I see Marlay is closed actually...just been out to the shop and paths in here seem ok, not sure what they'll be like outside the estate though. Not as many people milling around the estate as there was yesterday morning (novelty obviously worn off already). I'm not sure I can be bothered but cabin fever and all that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Just back from a run in Bushy Park Terenure lots of grip so no probs running but when the wind gets up it really cuts you in two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Lads is a status red in place. People being advised not to leave the house. Take it seriously.

Dev84 wrote: »
    Lads is a status red in place. People being advised not to leave the house. Take it seriously.

They've said on the news that is more for being on the road - they also say to stay in from 4pm, morning is fine. Walking is fine. Being out with your kids playing in the snow, is fine. It's only snow ffs - the footpaths are perfectly safe. Parks are perfectly safe.
    I can understand asking people to keep off the roads but walking / running is perfectly safe.

They've said on the news that is more for being on the road - they also say to stay in from 4pm, morning is fine. Walking is fine. Being out with your kids playing in the snow, is fine. It's only snow ffs - the footpaths are perfectly safe. Parks are perfectly safe.
    I can understand asking people to keep off the roads but walking / running is perfectly safe.

I seen a few people actually cycling last night but on bikes with traction control.

I seen a guy attempting to cycle on one of the icy days on a racer and he came down hard on his side when stationary at the lights which seems to be worse than coming down while moving.

Yeah 4 pm is the deadline for staying indoors is what they're saying. Try and get out soon for supplies and some much needed air.

Its only snow ffs.

Thats the kinda attitude that gets people injured or killed. And then in turn puts front line services under pressure. Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

If you run early in the morning before the snow on the paths get compacted, its fine. Did a few laps of UCD this morning. It was lovely. Better than yesterday when the snow was a bit too fresh and it was a bit of a chore. Good XC practice maybe.

the footpaths are perfectly safe.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

:rolleyes:

They are where I am anyway. Humidity is so low and the snow is so dry that they're not that slippy, it's been a really dry freeze so far.

Safiri wrote: »
    They are where I am anyway. Humidity is so low and the snow is so dry that they're not that slippy, it's been a really dry freeze so far.

Thats nice for where you are. The footpaths around me are lethal so a poster declaring that a Red alert warning means footpaths are perfectly safe is just irresponsible. Judge the footpaths in your own vicinity yourself if you don't want to heed the national warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Just got a dusting of snow yesterday afternoon. I put on my trail running shoes, ski mask and gloves and stuck to the fresh snow on country roads, the wind chill was the worst. We had heavier snow in January I did the same thing. I'll see how it is this evening in the north west but I'll probably take today and tomorrow off and head for the mountain trails Saturday and Sunday

• Advertisement

Fine where I am too. Just because it may not be safe some are, doesn't mean its the case where others are. Some people have barely any snow, where my colleague is in Wicklow there is barely a dusting.
    Again, it's only snow. I worked in a hospital through our last big snow..also ran in it then too with no issues. None of our multitude of patients from the snow in 2010 were from people out running...
    Lets not overreact, the current weather conditions, where I am, are fine to run in and it hasn't stopped snowing all morning...it's a bit slower, a bit tough but I wouldn't be rolling my eyes at anyone running in it.

Look for reasons and ways to train, not excuses not to. Not a chance I'd venture out in the car, but on foot I can't see any issue. As I say, can just get out to the hill in my estate and lap that anyway.

Fine where I am too. Just because it may not be safe some are, doesn't mean its the case where others are. Some people have barely any snow, where my colleague is in Wicklow there is barely a dusting.
    Again, it's only snow. I worked in a hospital through our last big snow..also ran in it then too with no issues. None of our multitude of patients from the snow in 2010 were from people out running...
    Lets not overreact, the current weather conditions, where I am, are fine to run in and it hasn't stopped snowing all morning...it's a bit slower, a bit tough but I wouldn't be rolling my eyes at anyone running in it.

Look for reasons and ways to train, not excuses not to. Not a chance I'd venture out in the car, but on foot I can't see any issue. As I say, can just get out to the hill in my estate and lap that anyway.

Yeh exaclty. I done 120kmph on the motorway this morning. Felt it was perfectly safe myself. Feck the warnings.

Someone should dig out the threads from 2010 for our more recent posters...Robin, you still got your shoes from that winter? :pac:

Yeh exaclty. I done 120kmph on the motorway this morning. Felt it was perfectly safe myself. Feck the warnings.

Running doesn't put any other persons like at risk like a 2 ton chunk of steel hurtling down the road at 120kph though. I'm moving at probably 13kph and can react pretty easily to any slippy patch I can see.

Running doesn't put any other persons like at risk like a 2 ton chunk of steel hurtling down the road at 120kph though. I'm moving at probably 13kph and can react pretty easily to any slippy patch I can see.

But i felt the area i was in was safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have today scheduled as a rest day, so won't be running anyway but did 10k last night on an off road gravel track with fresh snow and it was fine. Strangely, never once did I think I was risking my life. Be smart, use your judgement, don't drive from 4pm onwards and try not to get too wrapped up in the media hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

pconn062 wrote: »
    I have today scheduled as a rest day, so won't be running anyway but did 10k last night on an off road gravel track with fresh snow and it was fine. Strangely, never once did I think I was risking my life. Be smart, use your judgement, don't drive from 4pm onwards and try not to get too wrapped up in the media hysteria.

Seen the photo, looked fine for running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

OOnegative wrote: »
    Seen the photo, looked fine for running.

The beard kept me warm. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

• Advertisement

Have just seen another renegade running out of my estate.Walkers at it all morning. Haven't been out myself yet as I'm working and not sure I can be arsed now will probably just jump on the turbo. Just thinking back while out yesterday to the threads in 2010 and everyone trying to find ways to get out. Major panics on here with everyone training for spring marathons. And making these :D
    http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Advertisement