Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone planning on running outside today with gyms closed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

#staysafe out there lads,u may get cold and wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was very safe walking about my area yesterday but too much to lose by risking it for a few kms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

pconn062 wrote: »
    The beard kept me warm. :)

Tea cosy gone out of fashion?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Jaysus at this thread.

It's perfectly acceptable to go running in the snow. It's great craic.

Just look for snow and avoid icy paths. I've been running in snow many times this year. Worse case was that my feet got a bit damp.

Obviously adhere to the 4pm warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

Went for a 5mile run in north Cork this morning paths are good, good traction on fresh snow, no real traffic to worry about. Wind is cutting when running into it alright. Ran a little bit slower than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was out running yesterday along the riverbank in Plassey Limerick yesterday. It was abit windy. Mind you, I was only doing the Kenya shuttle though.

Will head out around 2 pm and hopefully do a tempo run or 3 by 7 minutes depending on the road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Snow is fine, but the ice underneath isn't and there's a lot of that on the paths around me. I'll be taking a rest day, and hoping a gym opens again soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

will probably just jump on the turbo

Likewise, I was waiting on someone else to raise their head above the parapet first :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thats nice for where you are. The footpaths around me are lethal so a poster declaring that a Red alert warning means footpaths are perfectly safe is just irresponsible. Judge the footpaths in your own vicinity yourself if you don't want to heed the national warning.

This is where using your judgment and common sense comes into things. Heed the warning and don't go out after 4pm. Until then, assess the situation yourself and make your own decision.

On a side note, social media and these forums seem to whip people up into a mild frenzy about these weather events. We need a middle ground, be prepared, not hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I did 8 miles this morning, it was perfectly fine. Running on fresh snow is fine. I didn't bother yesterday as it was just icy on the footpaths. Could have went up to the park I guess but was getting dark when I got in from work so stayed indoors and did some weights!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Safiri wrote: »

Oh i see. Thats in relation to the op i presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

People always tend to go one of two ways. Egoism where people see it as a badge of honour for getting out or people who succumb to mass hysteria.

There is a happy medium. Respect the weather rathet than fearing it. There are plenty of countries who deal with running in this weather every year bit have common sense about it.

Just as likely to hurt yourself throwing yourself down a hill on a bit of plastic but people tend to not be up in arma about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

People always tend to go one of two ways. Egoism where people see it as a badge of honour for getting out or people who succumb to mass hysteria.

There is a happy medium. Respect the weather rathet than fearing it. There are plenty of countries who deal with running in this weather every year bit have common sense about it.

Just as likely to hurt yourself throwing yourself down a hill on a bit of plastic but people tend to not be up in arma about that.

Not this girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOl0xyee8w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Very well put. After a rest day yesterday due to the ice I thought today might be better with the fresh snow. Walked to a nearby park to avoid running on possibly slippy paths (although they mostly seemed fine) and had a lovely short run doing laps in the park after sussing out conditions underfoot. Plenty of people there walking dogs, families building snowmen, kids on tobaggon slides and loads of kids playing in the playground. I very much doubt there's people in a panic about others engaging in those activities. As long as people judge their area on its merits, exercise caution and common sense and listen to whatever advice is given, in the case of today be home by 4, I don't see any issue with people potentially running. If the park hadn't been suitable for it today at the very least I'd have got some fresh air out for a walk there and back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Likewise, I was waiting on someone else to raise their head above the parapet first :D

Went out in the end when there seemed to be a break in the snow. Grand out there where I am. Keep an eye in front of you and assess whether its safe to continue and its fine.

Turbo this eve ;)
    pconn062 wrote: »
    This is where using your judgment and common sense comes into things. Heed the warning and don't go out after 4pm. Until then, assess the situation yourself and make your own decision.

Yeah, obviously everyone is living different places and need to make different decisions. I'm lucky where i am that it is safe to get out. Roads are well cleared too so even crossing them is not dodgy as they can often be turned to ice rinks in this kinda weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

yourself down a hill on a bit of plastic but people tend to not be up in arma about that.

I don't think Ulster got much snow yet so there's no point in travelling up in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Hurrache wrote: »
    I don't think Ulster got much snow yet so there's no point in travelling up in fairness.

Haha was reading back there and not the only mispelling. Working on a temporary phone at moment so alot of my posts probably need to be proof read judging by my recent post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Gladly go for a run but my missus is in Ireland & looks like it will be Saturday at earliest before she will get back. Think it’s bordering on child abuse bringing a 3 & 7 year old out in -16 real feel!! Glad i’m in taper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Saw some idiot running on the road in Lucan last night. Dressed in all black and blocking traffic!!

Didnt get out yesterday or today but count all the times go up and down the hills after the kids was good hill training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I got out yesterday evening, fresh snow had fallen and I stuck to the paths that I knew were good used my trail runners and took my time and really enjoyed it :) It was slow going but hey good recovery for the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Got out earlier, into St Anne's park - used the tree cover where I could and trudged through the snow for the rest. Freezing to start with but grand after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Enduro

God, some of the histrionics on this thread are hilarious.

People, there are marathons in the north pole and the Antarctic. Running in snow is not intrinsically dangerous, Running in bad weather is not intrinsically dangerous. You simply need to be adequately prepared. I've raced in much more demanding conditions already this year.

I was out for nearly 5 hours yesterday, and pretty much the same again today. My main concession to safety was to stick to roads, rather more remote mountain trails. That would make self rescue easier if needed, and external rescue easier in a worst case scenario. The coldest I felt both days was sitting down in the house afterwards cooling down. I slipped exactly once in nearly 10 hours of running, which resulted in a fall which didn't hurt in the slightest. The only time I felt any cold was running into the headwind, when the tips of my fingers felt a bit chilly. If it persisted I was prepared to deal with that.

Simply having the right gear, and the right backup gear, made all this both perfectly safe and perfectly comfortable. Things could have got a lot lot worse, and I would still have been comfortable (I do most of my runs with a weighted backpack, so it is easy for me to bring additional safety gear, like balaclava, goggles, mountaineering standard mitts, a waterproof windproof down jacket, yaktrax, etc... and landing on a well stuffed backpack in a fall gives massive protection)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I'd thought about uploading a video from the Montane Spine when I first saw this thread, but Enduro is a much better person to make the point. If you monitor conditions and have the right equipment, then it's fine ... but probably the majority of road runners don't have experience. We all spend too much time indoors in Ireland/UK, I got challenged by my brother because I'd done some (low-level) hillwalking in a little bit of snow earlier this week :rolleyes:.

For myself today ... 5 slow miles in lovely conditions except for one mile into a nasty headwind. Was lucky to have dry crunchy snow and no ice packed underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Jeez, assess your local conditions, get properly dressed then head out and enjoy having the streets to yourself.

Last week I had to head to the hills to find snow to run on, now it's right outside my door - I'm in heaven!

I dug out some of my old winter hill running gear today, going to have a trot on our boreen in the morning come hail, snow or shine. It's invigorating, the runner's equivalent of cold water swimming!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Haven't done any proper running but been running around with the two kids pulling them on the sled , I managed to slip and fall at least once and tumble out of the sled and fall multiple times , walked out to car earlier in flip flops to get something - neighbour launches a snowball at me - I throw one back but my momentum makes me slip and crash onto the kerb right on my hip nasty! Maybe I should of just went for a run instead :( sure it's all good fun. I wouldn't skip a run if it was snowing (but didn't because the kids want to play instead) but I would miss a run if it was raining, very rarely run in the rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jeez, assess your local conditions, get properly dressed then head out and enjoy having the streets to yourself.

Last week I had to head to the hills to find snow to run on, now it's right outside my door - I'm in heaven!

I dug out some of my old winter hill running gear today, going to have a trot on our boreen in the morning come hail, snow or shine. It's invigorating, the runner's equivalent of cold water swimming!

I don't have winter running gear :pac: I wussed out today and went out in unpadded cycling tights and a cycling jacket to keep warm. A buff to cover my ears and a baseball cap for my head and to help keep snow out of my eyes. Didn't feel the slightest bit cold.

Ended up removing gloves and buff as I got too warm. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

This is it, you cant really be advising anybody because its all very individualistic depending on how hardy people are, how compact the snow is on your roads and if you have the gear to wear for the snow.

My immune system must be low at the moment as I'm sick after being out last night WALKING.

Everyone has their own threshold and their own nervous system to deal with and some have read more tabloid headlines than others :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Most busy paths have been fairly well gritted around here, could easily manage a 3-5km loop if I wanted to. We're also only under yellow warnings here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

This morning was actually the most fun run I've had in a while :)

Ankle-deep snow, and more at times, and the entire park to myself. It felt so Christmassy I almost started singing jingle bells.

Advertisement