Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone planning on running outside today with gyms closed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

This morning was actually the most fun run I've had in a while :)
    just as well u said run...N would not be impreszed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

This is the first day this week where running isn't an option where I am. In fairness we seemed to get lucky relative to the East all week so I can't complain too much. Not often I have to scratch a session. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Nah, too much of an injury risk. Risk and reward and all that :)

Been on my exercise bike yesterday and today. In fairness I needed a couple of days break anyway. Doing a lot of core bodyweight work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Went out the last 2 mornings and loved it, the biggest danger was not seeing the division between kerb and road, which could easily results in some serious ankle-damaging mis-step.

Adhering to the curfew today and sticking to in-house kettlebell and eccentric leg work which I had been neglecting anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saw someone running out of my estate in shorts earlier. Been out for a walk and it is knee deep..even then my foot isn't actually reaching the ground. Will see how it fares for rest of day. People mostly walking on the roads here where they've been cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've ditched the screw shoes from 2010 now but have upgraded to a set of Yak Trax instead. Haven't been out in them this year for running yet, but that is because I've been off running for a while for other reasons. Really want to get out for a run in the snow later.

I did use the Yak Trax to get me up to the top of the local golf course yesterday evening and this morning though carrying my ski boots and blades and went for a few runs down one of the steep fairways before too many people with sledges had been down it. Great fun, but they really should invent some method of getting back to the top of the hill with less effort.

Had a day off work and making a toddler run around in the snow to get knackered whilst other half works remotely. Think that means I'm now due being let out solo again to try for a run now. :)

Our red warnings expired this morning and we don't have the next yellow warning due until tomorrow morning. Little bit of snow falling right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

I am surprised no one has mentioned the logistical benefits of running in this weather. No public transport, driving out, cycling (with a nod to those with fat bikes) out. For those who have to get places such as work, it’s one of the only ways to get around. Now, once more unto the breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I'm willing to risk injury to get away from the wife and kids for a while!

I had planned to run down to lidl before it shut yesterday for a stock up of vegetables...but forgot why I wanted to go down until I was going to make dinner :)
    Snow pretty deep and coming down heavy here now though but have see a couple of people out running from here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well that was awesome. Think the forced speed reduction may have helped me not over do it on a return to running.

Now just need to figure out our shifts for who gets to go out when tomorrow. No parkruns locally that are within runnable distance so will just have to do the local junior course instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Went out yesterday. Couple of layers on top to buffer, leggings, and a head band - grand. Out towards Skerries, back in, then the back road behind the Educate Together. This had plenty of snow in the ditch and the wind started to take the powdery stuff off, not great for visibility. Got a bit more windy towards the end and I didn't bother heading towards Rush, even the birds were struggling. Face felt a bit cut off me. Underfoot was generally fine. Would like to go out tomorrow, will decide depending on local conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I stayed in after 4 yesterday but have been out running every day this week and getting out has been my saviour. Nice easy runs - 6-8 miles each. Yaktrax have been a godsend - the park (St Annes) has been ideal for running, with some good shelter from windchill and away from traffic etc. As has been said here in previous posts - preparation is key, and preparation for the worst - do you have a phone and enough layers if eg you fall in an area away from people and need help? What if you are stuck out for a bit longer than expected? Anyhow, biggest danger I have encountered to date is snowball-throwing scangers... they havent hit me yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Almost perfect conditions for me this evening expect for a very strong head wind. I saw some photos on Strava from people in the east and south who went running today. Fair play to you all getting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Out for 4 miles earlier. How many opportunities do you get to run the locality buried in snow?. For me the constant is running, the variable is the weather. If you have the gear, it doesn’t matter what it’s like. I unboxed yaktrax that I actually bought in 2010... worked out great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

It must be relatively okay in some regions, Theres no way anyone is running where I am, not even jogging or fast walking.

I went out a few minutes ago to walk down to the family home and came back again.

It was about a half foot deep on main paths and at least a foot deep if not more in the estate.

I still have a bit of a bug so decided it was taking too much energy to walk. At least I got some air.

I then decided to try and drive but my car has a drift around it and wont move.

I hope it stops soon, I'm going mad.

I had planned to run down to lidl before it shut yesterday for a stock up of vegetables...but forgot why I wanted to go down until I was going to make dinner :)
    Snow pretty deep and coming down heavy here now though but have see a couple of people out running from here.

Well at least you wont get blamed for any looting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Not a chance of me running here in Cork, walked over 15km and 20km in the snow yesterday and today. Hoping for a big thaw to get back to 5km runs tomorrow. Had only just got back into it last week and the snow killed all my enthusiasm and motivation

My locality is still buried in snow. Would the Phoenix park be ok to run in today does anyone know? The busses should be running after 12:00 so I could get one.
    Have to run today no matter what.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    My locality is still buried in snow. Would the Phoenix park be ok to run in today does anyone know? The busses should be running after 12:00 so I could get one.
    Have to run today no matter what.

Yesterday they were advising to stay away from the Phoenix park but if the thaw is on then today should be okay.

joey1111 wrote: »
    Yesterday they were advising to stay away from the Phoenix park but if the thaw is on then today should be okay.

Couldn't take it anymore, just put in the Trail Runners and did the Celbridge Leixlip 17k loop. No speed as was sliding around and slowed down by snow but glad I got it done I suppose.

Stuck it up on strava if ye want a laugh. Seems to be thawing so I'd say we will be back in business tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

I might go to the local GAA pitch..
    Cracking up here at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Tempted to go to Phoenix park around 2, it seems to be thawing pretty well in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

gawker wrote:
    Tempted to go to Phoenix park around 2, it seems to be thawing pretty well in Dublin.

Let us know how you get on. Thinking of trying the Park in the morning too

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Okay I checked some posts from right now in the park on Instagram, and think I'll go tomorrow morning instead. Still very deep snow it seems. Hopefully the train helps.

Got out this morning for 85 mins. Once I got out of the estate it was ok. Most people walking on the roads which have been cleared so ran on them and hopped into the snow where possible or to let cars pass. Nice to get out. Hopefully a big rain tonight to clear the snow in the estate as most of us can't get cars out. They've been trying to clear the road in to let deliveries get to the shop but no such luck. Shop is jammed full of people just buying junk because there is no real food left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some fairly deep stuff in parts, required a bit more effort. However, seeing a hearse and coffin at the main roundabout put things in perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have been very lucky in Carlow town all the paths are nearly clear so safe to run again got out for a 5km I won't say it felt really easy as the wind was bitter and strong. but feel's great to have it done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Walked to Tesco in Arklow and back. Paths are lethal but the roads are clearish. Pity there's cars on them though.
    I'm hoping the rain sorts out some form of route. I've a 22 miler on the plan for tomorrow. It would be nice to at least get a bit of it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A gym opened!

God, I hate treadmills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

RayCun wrote:
    God, I hate treadmills

Did 1hr 40m today on the treadmill. A means to an end I guess.

Advertisement