Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone planning on running outside today with gyms closed?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Finally got out today, such an enjoyable run.

Got a few weird looks with the shorts on.

Lots of stop starting though having to pause to allow jeeps go by. Also spent about 20 mins helping a taxi driver break free. Poor guy was nearly crying, saying he just wanted to go home. He had been stuck out my way for the past two days :eek:

Got him going.

I think I smiled the whole way today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Anyone know what The Phoenix Park is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Finally got out today, such an enjoyable run.

Got a few weird looks with the shorts on.

Lots of stop starting though having to pause to allow jeeps go by. Also spent about 20 mins helping a taxi driver break free. Poor guy was nearly crying, saying he just wanted to go home. He had been stuck out my way for the past two days :eek:

Got him going.

I think I smiled the whole way today.

Shorts & your long socks :D;) it sounds like great fun though, my kind of run not to mention I wish I was home to enjoy it. That poor taxi driver glad he made it out in the end

Baby75 wrote: »
    Shorts & your long socks :D;) it sounds like great fun though, my kind of run not to mention I wish I was home to enjoy it. That poor taxi driver glad he made it out in the end

Haha, I always wear ankle socks. Thought it would be funny to highlight I'd worn longer ones today.

(We're on Strava)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Haha, I always wear ankle socks. Thought it would be funny to highlight I'd worn longer ones today.

(We're on Strava)

I expected knee-high ones, some great pictures cannot believe how much snow you got :eek:

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    I expected knee-high ones, some great pictures cannot believe how much snow you got :eek:

I know it was insane. Went for a hike last night and felt like Shackelton. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Enduro

There is opportunity in the changed conditions. Another 5 hour run today. Tried snowshoeing first with an attempt to head up off-road into the hills, but the approach roads were frustratingly cleared! I was in no-mans land with the things. So I changed plan. Back to roads.

With a lot of roads good enough for running on, but much much less traffic than normally present I've spent the last few days running routes I'd normally avoid due to said traffic. In the snow the those roads have been looking fantastically scenic (The Enniskerry road near scalp gets the most unexpectedly stunning snowscape award), and with very little traffic, and what traffic there is being very cautious, it's turned normally crappy routes into enjoyable runs. So a it's been a good few days of mixing things up with new routes I wouldn't normally go near.

Again, to note, preparation is key here. I've still yet to be either cold or wet this week. Good waterproof trail shoes with mountaineering socks have been very effective, along with top quality waterproof and wicking shell jacket and leggings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

I managed 5 miles doing laps around the local GAA pitch..It was a challenge but fun, especially through 5 inches of snow at one end..Great to be out running in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

zico10 wrote: »
    I wasn't there today but did laps of the polo grounds on Wednesday +Thursday at lunchtime,snow was deep but a good grip and the wind was mad when you faced back towards town. Was very enjoyable though and 2 runs that will be remembered for sure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Was there today for about an hour - saw a few runners, slow going but very doable, probably more so tomorrow with the thaw setting in. Was great watching the sledging and some phenomenal snow kiteboarding - I'll be back there tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Pure smugness. Just what she deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah jaysus, not that Chelsea falls on her arse video again. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, not that Chelsea falls on her arse video again. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it was already posted on the thread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Haven't ran since Tuesday lunchtime in town. Lucan was bad and paths still are.

Plenty of hill training over the last three days with the kids and daddies.

My core work was clearing the drive ways, back garden patio(5ft there) and the road.

Will run in town tomorrow lunch time.

Got out again today. DLR said on twitter all parks were open so was disappointed to see Marlay still all locked up :)
    Roads all clear but all the snow has been dumped on the paths so pedestrians all still on roads..still like the walking dead out there with people walking to and from the shops. Some motorists could do with slowing down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭The Davestator

20km on a treadmill for me yesterday. Even though I was watching peaky blinders it was STILL torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

20km on a treadmill for me yesterday. Even though I was watching peaky blinders it was STILL torture.

Metallica kept me going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I used the few days to let a niggling knee pain settle, but received an early birthday present today (a Polar M400 watch) and now I'm tempted to try it out but a dodgy tummy and a closed gym is keeping me off my feet for at least another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got out again today. DLR said on twitter all parks were open so was disappointed to see Marlay still all locked up :)
    Roads all clear but all the snow has been dumped on the paths so pedestrians all still on roads..still like the walking dead out there with people walking to and from the shops. Some motorists could do with slowing down...

Marlay was just about open. The path on the hockey pitches side was cleared, I’m guessing because of access for the houses around there.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Marlay was just about open. The path on the hockey pitches side was cleared, I’m guessing because of access for the houses around there.

Yeah I think it possibly opened after I passed. Noticed when I was driving by that some of the paths were cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Has anybody ran on the Royal Canal Way since the snow, and know what sort of condition the path is in between Clonsilla and Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Anyone know what Phoenix Park is like today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anyone know what Phoenix Park is like today?

It was fine yesterday - lots of surface water though

Has anybody ran on the Royal Canal Way since the snow, and know what sort of condition the path is in between Clonsilla and Maynooth?

I would say there is still.a good bit of snow there. Lucan is a mess still in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

I would say there is still.a good bit of snow there. Lucan is a mess still in parts

Tried running in Lucan yesterday evening, the paths near my house seemed clear, but they were very bad in places. Gave up after only 6k of stop/start running.

Need to get a run in this evening, but don't think it'll be much better.Might look for a gym somewhere I can pay for a one off session to use a treadmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I managed 15k around Citywest and Corkagh Park. I'd planned to run down to the canal but my route was snowbound.
    You have to be creative about where you run but it's good to be back out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tried running in Lucan yesterday evening, the paths near my house seemed clear, but they were very bad in places. Gave up after only 6k of stop/start running.

Need to get a run in this evening, but don't think it'll be much better.Might look for a gym somewhere I can pay for a one off session to use a treadmill.

Some gyms will give you a free session if you say you're thinking of joining, might be worth a try if you absolutely need to.

Lucan community gym you can pay once off.

Some of the lads I know did a session on adamstown road.

I am running in town during lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

Some gyms will give you a free session if you say you're thinking of joining, might be worth a try if you absolutely need to.

The thought had crossed my mind alright! It had thawed out considerably yesterday, so managed to get out yesterday evening after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement