Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish conditions?

Options
  • 01-03-2018 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

Anyone get out or know of conditions? In particular was is will kilternan be open? I suspect they'd have to close it today as would be irresponsible to encourage people to go up.

Right now I'd be confident of skiing fresh powder into dublin city centre so these must be the best conditions in / for decades.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Heading up the hills in an hour, powder is looking great.
    Well set up for the bad weather before anyone gives out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I'm renaming the N11 to 'Blue 11' for tomorrow.

Nice powder in West Wicklow today, had some great runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Nice powder in West Wicklow today, had some great runs.

Where abouts were you? Board or ski?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Was great powder at sea level in dublin yesterday - and a lot of wind blown accumulations forming last night, but looks to have been a lot moister over night. Could be superb touring conditions in the mountains if wind hasn't whipped it all away and if temperatures remain low. But total white out for the rest of the day I would have thought? Look forward to the youtube videos of lads who made it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Anyone have a 4x4 to bring me up to the mountains and a few others. :) Would love to get a chance to head up....

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Where abouts were you? Board or ski?

Sorrel hill, boarding.

Managed to make it up djouce from ballinastoe yesterday. Half to one foot of snow still lying in forest though not much of a slope for much of that. Large area of wind accumulated cornice style stuff on the saddle below summit. Could definitely be skied over and over again by someone fit enough to rinse and repeat and was properly steep at top.

Mountains in general were beautiful and white. Most of the sleeper area above guinness lake covered in a foot to two feet, more where wind had accumulated, scoured of any elsewhere.

What may have been the lug off in the distance was particularly polar. In general conditions brilliant to be in. Only one set of tracks ahead of us put in yesterday also, would have been very hard work without them. Also ski tracks along the wicklow way and a snowboard track down from djouce summit. Managed to sledge down myself good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Avalanche warning in place in Wicklow today :D

In fairness that saddle below djouce was pure wind blown cornice so could definitely see stuff going

Cruagh today. Plenty of snow in forest, although quite slushy. Could definitely be skied. Managed an extreme sledge descent beside the road. Direct access road from yellow house closed but road past hell fire and viewing point open.

Thinking i'll get a pair of trashed skis and touring bindings for next time this happens as it would be great to do a traverse of dublin / wicklow mountains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

a148pro wrote: »
    Thinking i'll get a pair of trashed skis and touring bindings for next time this happens

Very wise. I'm still raging I didn't have a PoS snowboard.

Advertisement