Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specific phone bringing down wifi for all

Options
  • 01-03-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Basically, we have a vodafone wireless router with slow inernet at best of times.
    About 5 devices connected.

However since bringing in a new Xiaomi Redmi phone, the internet connection is intermittently (75% of time) being brought down.

This is indicated by an exclamation mark beside wifi symbol on my Samsung.
    I can access the router via wireless IP, but no internet.

Switching off Xiaomi resolves.

We have had similar with a specific Iphone5 in past, and resolved it by kicking it out.

Outside of getting rid of Xiaomi, has anyone any guidance on phone or router settings adjustments that may resolve?

Many thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you tried either blocking the MAC address of the phone from the wireless, or perhaps limiting the wireless bandwidth that the phone can receive? You may need to link it's MAC address to a specific IP address first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thanks so much for reply.

No. I have not tried any setting changes on modem.
    Ultimately i would prefer not to block the phone/user, but just find a setting that may resolve this issue.

Do I limit bandwith within the phone itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Ultimately i would prefer not to block the phone/user, but just find a setting that may resolve this issue.

Do I limit bandwith within the phone itself?
    Don't think you can do it from the phone. But most decent routers will allow you to throttle devices to a percent of the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Well, it appears I have been root causing incorrectly.
    Another variable has come in to play which I had not considered, but it is difficult because loss of internet can be sporadic..
    We have 2 iphone 6's in house.
    Found this post and root cause on web, from another Vodafone Ireland DSL customer.
    Basically, when 6's are charging from mains they connect to cloud. A kind of overload of system.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/the-weirdest-issue-to-date/

Advertisement