Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cricket World Cup Qualifiers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can anyone else bowl? KOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Stupidly holding onto wishful thinking that something happens and we squeeze a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

209 was 20 or 30 runs short of what it needed to be
    Way too cautious, it's not test cricket. Afghans have never been behind the run rate, in cruise control for most of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Is there anything more torturous than watching that red circle spin on the ICC website waiting for the latest ball to update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They're waiting for McCarthy to come back on, but surely he wont!

You'd wonder why they didn't keep Rankin on instead on McCarthy and crank up the pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You'd wonder why they didn't keep Rankin on instead on McCarthy and crank up the pressure?

Maybe thought that while he might cede runs he might pick up a couple of wickets along the way. Its only Singh that has kept us in it anyway, be already over only for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

16 from 16, we need 14 from 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Good night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Just end it already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This is torture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That's that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

wow - massive six there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

KevIRL wrote: »
    Sin

you said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ahh well that is that with that 6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Bugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Game over , unfortunately.

Can't really have any complaints. Afghanistan were ridiculously lucky to even make it to the Super Six but they grabbed their reprieve with both hands by winning each of their games since.
    We got our reprieve with Zimbabwe losing yesterday but still threw it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The McCarthy over killed it, they were getting more and nervy up to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Can't really have any complaints. Afghanistan were ridiculously lucky to even make it to the Super Six but they grabbed their reprieve with both hands by winning each of their games since.
    We got our reprieve with Zimbabwe losing yesterday but still threw it away.

I don't think we threw it away, we were just beaten by a better side on the day, simple as that

endabob1 wrote: »
    209 was 20 or 30 runs short of what it needed to be
    Way too cautious, it's not test cricket. Afghans have never been behind the run rate, in cruise control for most of the game

Realistically, think we needed to be closer to 300. Afghans have paced their pursuit, stuttered but kept it in sight. I think they could have got 30 more easily enough if they needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Well, that's sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

A yorker or two wouldn't have gone amiss

I don't think we threw it away, we were just beaten by a better side on the day, simple as that

Pretty much this.

We left 20-30 runs out there today.
    Running was awful as was the ambition against the Afghans.
    Fully deserved win for them.

Zim hoping for a maiden over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Realistically, think we needed to be closer to 300. Afghans have paced their pursuit, stuttered but kept it in sight. I think they could have got 30 more easily enough if they needed to.

You are probably right, I just don't understand it
    It's not like we lost early wickets, there was just no urgency until KOB started having a go

Without a doubt but I don't think we played anywhere close to the way we could have. I don't think 250ish was an unrealistic target.
    I dunno. We've seen Afghanistan collapse against Zimbabwe when they looked comfortable. Had we put on another 20-30 runs, it could have been interesting with Afghanistan's slump in the 15-20 overs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

McCarthy to come back and let them enjoy themselves.

Apt that McCarthy gets punted for a boundary in the last ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It would have been great to qualify, but i would have felt a bit hollow after the performances against WI and Zim. Feel very sorry for Scotland in all of this. Delighted one of the former associates managed to split the established order. It further makes the case that the reduction in teams was the wrong move.

I think 250 might well have won that for us, seemed to be well within our compass but never pushed on at any stage with the bat, until KOB late on at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

That's it. Unfortunately for Ireland, poor performances in the big games they needed to win, cost them. Backward step, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Pity that but didn't set a decent target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well deserved. Heroic stuff from their captain.

Ireland just don't have it any more need younger players coming through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And unfollow....

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

It's the hope that ... ah balls.

We were beaten by the better team, but that 15 run over was giving a sucker an even break. Stankzai held it together well for Afg and scored when they needed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think 250 might well have won that for us, seemed to be well within our compass but never pushed on at any stage with the bat, until KOB late on at least.

230 even might well have been enough

Disappointed of course, but also really enjoyed the tournament. Probably the craziest i've seen for some time, in any sport...good sides beating bad, bad sides beating good, collapses all over the place. We were looking good, then we were gone, then we were back in it...and then we were gone again. Think it's time to get the old blood pressure checked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭minitrue

I still say take your pick between the Stirling run-out and the McCarthy drop of the Shahzad caught and bowled chance, flip the script on either of those ... :(

10 team World Cup my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

We are witnessing an end of an era regarding our Irish cricket team. Porterfield, O'Brien brothers, Joyce, Murtagh all in their mid 30's. The same players that starred in 2007 WC in the Caribbean when we beat Pakistan are still there today. Serious questions must be asked by our limp batting display and the coach must take full responsibility. A root and branch review of this tournament must take place asap. Simi Singh was outstanding in the last 2 matches including today, why did he not play more in the earlier matches? Finally best of luck to Afghanistan in the WC, they took their chance and grabbed it. No complaints. The best side won on the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Afghanistan probably have a better chance of getting a win at the World Cup than we would have, they already beat the Windies and came so close against Zimbabwe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

I would say congratulations to Afghanistan but really it should be Scotland going through. Afghanistan really should have been knocked out in the earlier phase only for a 15 year old from Nepal to help them out to get through. Still, they got the breaks and they qualify and they should give a decent account of themselves if they can find another batsman's or two.

As for ourselves, we were never anything other than average throughout the tournament and even if we had squeaked out a victory today, it was only ever papering over cracks that this team is well past its best.

Will be good to see Rashid Khan at the WC.

Porterfield looks devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

3 games we lost were all to teams ahead of us in the rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I know it's academic now, but surely the following statement in Wiki is incorrect:

"Tournament hosts Zimbabwe lost their final match in the Super Sixes to the United Arab Emirates, meaning they would need Afghanistan and Ireland's match to end as tie to allow them to progress to the Cricket World Cup."

• Advertisement
Advertisement