Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's all the snow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Snowing in Carew Park here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Zeek12 wrote: »
    The all country red alert last night was out of proportion.
    9pm and still no significant snowfall to report?
    There was no need to start the shutdown til tonight

Correct. No snow in a lot of the country yet. Temperatures above freezing in places. The foreigners who are stranded in Ireland and cannot fly out think us Irish are a right inefficient lazy shower of drunks, as some of them said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Sorry. You’re missing the point.
    I don’t dispute those 5 accidents . And I hope everybody is ok.

But what we are discussing here is a nationwide shutdown since almost 24 hours ago. And I really don’t believe the weather has justified it.... not even close

Watch the 9 o'clock news from tonight, there's a very small portion of the country that has escaped so far, pretty much just the western seaboard isn't covered in snow.

It's more than justified, just because we haven't gotten it as bad so far doesn't mean the rest of the country didn't get hit bad.

source wrote: »
    Watch the 9 o'clock news from tonight, there's a very small portion of the country that has escaped so far, pretty much just the western seaboard isn't covered in snow.

Most of the the west / n. west has not had proper snow, even parts of the south west escaped. Course RTE propoganda ignores that, and fails to give temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Seems to be a bit more like sleet falling out there now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It's more than justified, just because we haven't gotten it as bad so far doesn't mean the rest of the country didn't get hit bad.

I have been watching all of the news coverage today - including 9 o'clock. And its very obvious that a very significant part of the country is as yet unaffected by this RED weather event.
    If you have access to Rte player you should watch it back - basically most of the western seaboard north of Kerry is still not troubled in any significant way (apart from a few localised issues).

I'm not sure how well you know the geography of Ireland - but this is certainly a lot more than a small portion of the country.

Thats not to say it wont move north later tonight.

But the Red warning for the whole country 24 hous ago was not warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I understand the importance of the Red Alerts, whether we agree with them or not.

But the wall to wall news coverage across all media outlets of this since last Monday has been ridiculous.....between TV3 and 6 One on RTE there was well over an hour and a half of continuous "live action/nationwide" coverage of snow falling, it is embarrassing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Correct. No snow in a lot of the country yet. Temperatures above freezing in places. The foreigners who are stranded in Ireland and cannot fly out think us Irish are a right inefficient lazy shower of drunks, as some of them said.

Are you saying that they closed Dublin Airport on a whim and not because it was dangerous to take off and land. Who cares what foreigners think of us. The fact is there is severe, unprecedented snow in many parts of the country, and it's generally speaking not the kind of weather we normally get, or are used to on a regular basis. Shame on you if you think the authorities are not doing the best that they can in the circumstances.

I have been watching all of the news coverage today - including 9 o'clock. And its very obvious that a very significant part of the country is as yet unaffected by this RED weather event.
    If you have access to Rte player you should watch it back - basically most of the western seaboard north of Kerry is still not troubled in any significant way (apart from a few localised issues).

I'm not sure how well you know the geography of Ireland - but this is certainly a lot more than a small portion of the country.

Thats not to say it wont happen later tonight.
    But the Red warning for the whole country 24 hous ago was not warranted.

Born and raised in Limerick and 35 years old, my knowledge of Irish geography is just fine, so lay off the patronising tone.

From what I've seen from tv and social media only Limerick, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo haven't been significantly affected. That's 5 counties out of 26.

I would say that's a small portion of the country, discounting the sheer size of Mayo of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

North Kerry getting snow at the moment

• Advertisement

swarlb wrote: »
    Are you saying that they closed Dublin Airport on a whim and not because it was dangerous to take off and land. Who cares what foreigners think of us. The fact is there is severe, unprecedented snow in many parts of the country, and it's generally speaking not the kind of weather we normally get, or are used to on a regular basis. Shame on you if you think the authorities are not doing the best that they can in the circumstances.

Dublin is not the only airport in the country you know.

Shannon airport was closed since this afternoon despite very limited snowfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

fepper wrote: »
    North Kerry getting snow at the moment

Typical. They always time it right. Spillane will love this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

This would want to start falling or some of us will be asked to go back to work tomorrow!

I understand the importance of the Red Alerts, whether we agree with them or not.

But the wall to wall news coverage across all media outlets of this since last Monday has been ridiculous.....between TV3 and 6 One on RTE there was well over an hour and a half of continuous "live action/nationwide" coverage of snow falling, it is embarrassing....

And yet they do not show the many parts of the country with no snow.

No wonder the world laughs at us Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Dublin is not the only airport in the country you know.

Shannon airport was closed since this afternoon despite very limited snowfall.

I do know, and I don't live in Dublin. I would prefer an airport to close rather than risk the lives of passengers, than to stay open to placate 'foreigners' who laugh at our inability to cope with condition were are not used to getting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The foreigners who are stranded in Ireland and cannot fly out think us Irish are a right inefficient lazy shower of drunks, as some of them said.
    No wonder the world laughs at us Irish.

You're pushing a really weird agenda, lad. Most of the world hardly even knows Ireland is an independent nation. They aren't even talking about our snow storm, never mind laughing about it.

Born and raised in Limerick and 35 years old, my knowledge of Irish geography is just fine, so lay off the patronising tone.

From what I've seen from tv and social media only Limerick, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo haven't been significantly affected. That's 5 counties out of 26.

I would say that's a small portion of the country, discounting the sheer size of Mayo of course.

Thats not far off 1 million people in case you didn't realise. These counties have large populations.

Which is close to a quarter of the country's population.

Its a lot of unnecessary disruption.

swarlb wrote: »
    I do know, and I don't live in Dublin. I would prefer an airport to close rather than risk the lives of passengers, than to stay open to placate 'foreigners' who laugh at our inability to cope with condition were are not used to getting.

Lives should not be risked - of course.

But we should be capable of coping with 3-4 cm of snow on the runway in our western airports.

If it gets bad tomorrow, by all means - then close down.

They aren't even talking about our snow storm, never mind laughing about it.

The 10,000 foreigners who are stranded in Ireland and cannot even get out are thinking its a joke. We even had a curfew / did not even have public transport today in counties in the west and n. west where its not even freezing, never mind snowing.

Thats not far off 1 million people in case you didn't realise. These counties have large populations.

Which is close to a quarter of the country's population.

Its a lot of unnecessary disruption.

It's about 700k people, the population of the country is 4.8m that's 14% of the population. So yes it is actually a small portion of the country that hasn't been affected so far.

If 700k are put out to keep 4.1m safe in bad weather, that's a price in willing to pay and in no way an over reaction like you're trying to make out.

• Advertisement

Sounds like alot of the folks complaining about the warnings on here have a bit of cabin fever from being stuck with their loved ones, or aren't making a few quid despite the dangers. They would be the same ones moaning if nothing was announced.

Had the leave the car at the bottom of our road last night as even with newish tyres it couldn't handle the snow and slight gradient. Farmer neighbour towed it up for me this morning, so working from home till Monday as there's no way I'm risking damaging the car or worse for the crowd I work for.

It's about 700k people, the population of the country is 4.8m that's 14% of the population. So yes it is actually a small portion of the country that hasn't been affected.

If 700k are put out to keep 4.1m safe in bad weather, that's a price in willing to pay and in no way an over reaction like you're trying to make out.

Again, you're missing the point.

A nationwide red warning event isn't required for the whole country in this situation. And it was definitely more than 700k unaffected today.
    This warning system is supposed to operate on a regional basis.

A huge amount of people businesses and schools etc. were inconvenienced needlessly today.

I'd be interested to see the reaction from other parts of the country - the next time a non relevant nationwide warning is issued early to these parts.

Dont get so defensive, its a valid point, and many people in the west I know felt today was a waste.
    That's all Im saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The alert was based on a forecast not an actual event. If they waited for the snow to arrive to tell people to go home and people got stranded we'd have people moaning about why the delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry. You’re missing the point.
    I don’t dispute those 5 accidents . And I hope everybody is ok.

But what we are discussing here is a nationwide shutdown since almost 24 hours ago. And I really don’t believe the weather has justified it.... not even close

Maybe not in Limerick but in other parts of the country it definitely has. There's 2 foot of snow outside my house at the moment, and judging by what's coming down that will be vastly increased come the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Sounds like alot of the folks complaining about the warnings on here have a bit of cabin fever from being stuck with their loved ones, or aren't making a few quid despite the dangers. They would be the same ones moaning if nothing was announced.

Had the leave the car at the bottom of our road last night as even with newish tyres it couldn't handle the snow and slight gradient. Farmer neighbour towed it up for me this morning, so working from home till Monday as there's no way I'm risking damaging the car or worse for the crowd I work for.

Nail on head, you can't please everyone. If we weren't warned on-time, imagine the uproar then! What's so bad about being a bit precautious anyway? Who cares what a bunch of foreigners think, I'd rather that our own citizens are safe first and foremost. If that means being a little precautious, then so be it. The blanket media coverage has been laughable though!

phog wrote: »
    The alert was based on a forecast not an actual event. If they waited for the snow to arrive to tell people to go home and people got stranded we'd have people moaning about why the delay.

And this is the point that zeek and others are missing. Which is better not implementing a warning and having people stranded, injured or worse, or telling everyone to stay at home?

You can't be definitive with these things, you have to make decisions based on the facts at hand and the potential consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

When I look at our previous leaders they would have messed this up, I say well done Leo and Eoghan the beard Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was just outside and there's about an inch to half an inch on the roads - for limerick, thats pretty significant as we normally get nothing

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was just outside and there's about an inch to half an inch on the roads - for limerick, thats pretty significant as we normally get nothing

Same here on SCR and it's still coming down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Same here on SCR and it's still coming down.

Just had a nose on the weather forum and the worst is yet to come. Eye of the storm is still off the coast of france and it looks like we're due another snowfall from around 7am.

Advertisement