Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's all the snow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Snow snow go away, please come back... never preferably and you can take that b*tch Emma with you!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Nothing here in north kerry either

That came back to bite me in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

cycle4fun wrote: »
    The 10,000 foreigners who are stranded in Ireland and cannot even get out are thinking its a joke. We even had a curfew / did not even have public transport today in counties in the west and n. west where its not even freezing, never mind snowing.

Ah shur, they'll think we are quaint and go home and tell all their friends about us , more tourists next year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

Not a dot of snow in Donegal, not even freezing at the min.

Weather forecast on sky just now for NI has Yellow warning in the western 3 counties, and amber for the eastern 3; whereas our muppets have red for the whole country, including Donegal where we've been having the best spell of weather for months.

Big like putting out a sign for 'wet floor' just in case some one spills something on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

jonski wrote: »
    Ah shur, they'll think we are quaint and go home and tell all their friends about us , more tourists next year .

Storm Emma aside, t's actually kinda pathetic how ill prepared we are for snowy conditions. Take a look at countries where they deal with snow most of the time, they hardly bat an eye lid. Then we literally shut down the entire country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Firblog wrote: »

Weather forecast on sky just now for NI has Yellow warning in the western 3 counties, and amber for the eastern 3; whereas our muppets have red for the whole country, including Donegal where we've been having the best spell of weather for months.

Big like putting out a sign for 'wet floor' just in case some one spills something on it..

Don't know which part of donegal you're in, but up in Inishowen we had very heavy snow over last 24 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

I agree. It is so lazy putting a red warning out for the whole country when there are clearly areas that will not be badly affected.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jaxxx wrote: »
    Storm Emma aside, t's actually kinda pathetic how ill prepared we are for snowy conditions. Take a look at countries where they deal with snow most of the time, they hardly bat an eye lid. Then we literally shut down the entire country.

Read what you posted again and then think about it for a few moments.

Of course a country where this happens regularly will know how to deal with the snow. They have the infrastructure and the skills to cope with it. Practice makes perfect. On the other hand, this is a freak event for Ireland. We'll learn from it and be better prepared if it happens again sometime down the line.

Nail on head, you can't please everyone. If we weren't warned on-time, imagine the uproar then! What's so bad about being a bit precautious anyway? Who cares what a bunch of foreigners think, I'd rather that our own citizens are safe first and foremost. If that means being a little precautious, then so be it. The blanket media coverage has been laughable though!

It fills air time and it sells papers, same with any big or potentially big event.

Aparently worse is yet to come, but getting reports from friends in the area that the main road between Kelks and Athboy is impassable with snow waist heigh in some stretches and it's a sh1te stretch of road in the middle of summer, let alone in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

dubrov wrote: »
    I agree. It is so lazy putting a red warning out for the whole country when there are clearly areas that will not be badly affected.

Some sensible posters at last....:)

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't know which part of donegal you're in, but up in Inishowen we had very heavy snow over last 24 hrs.

Only about 100 km away from you..

Sure Inishowen is nearly a separate county on its own :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Zeek12 wrote: »

Above Ennis in Corofin it's been going all day,theres streamers coming westwards from the East...

Like a cold current missing out on Ennis and dumping it above Toonagh Quarry

Was chatting to a lad from Austria yesterday, seems they've been having very heavy snow for 6 weeks now; no one can remember anything as bad for a long time. There are villages cut off, and the military have to air drop / helicopter supplies to them.... but the schools in those villages are still open everyday.

Above Ennis in Corofin it's been going all day,theres streamers coming westwards from the East...

My sympathies - but that's not really a nationwide issue....since last night....which was the point Dubrov was making.

Hope all is ok in Corofin tomorrow.

Was chatting to a lad from Austria yesterday, seems they've been having very heavy snow for 6 weeks now; no one can remember anything as bad for a long time. There are villages cut off, and the military have to air drop / helicopter supplies to them.... but the schools in those villages are still open everyday.

Take it that only the kids living in the villages that would be attending and not the kids who are normally be driven there like most Irish kids have to in order to attend a school.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Take it that only the kids living in the villages that would be attending and not the kids who are normally be driven there like most Irish kids have to in order to attend a school.

Sorry don't get that, I don't know of any kids that go to national school in another town/village, vast majority of kids in Ireland attend schools located in their locality don't they? Just because they are driven to school doesn't mean they couldn't walk; be less dangerous with so little traffic on the roads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

jaxxx wrote: »

"Take a look at countries where they deal with snow most of the time, they hardly bat an eye lid."

Yeah, that's probably something to do with the fact that they're required to deal with it frequently whereas we rarely get such snow. So they literally have no option but to invest in the machinery to be able to efficiently handle prolonged snow storms - not just one that only lasts a few days like we're experiencing - whereas we would only need it once every few years in situations like this week, so just shutting everything down for a couple of days is likely cheaper than storing and maintaining machinery for the rare occasion they'd be put to good use

Having lived in eastern Europe I can assure you that dealing with snow is a very laborious and extensive process. You can clear a road of snow only to have to do the same thing not too long after because it just does not stop falling. And this can last multiple days. Then when it finally does stop snowing you can't even feel relieved, the temperatures stay so cold the snow just remains, it does not melt and it gets so messy. And there is so much of it that they need to build piles along the sides of roads, all while thousands of cars are trying to get to the city centre for work. So their machinery gets used for a few weeks every single year without question, so it makes sense for them to prepare for these conditions or else they'd be shutting down not for a couple of days like us but for weeks which would be an actual, genuine disaster for everyone. Thankfully here the temperatures don't get so low and within a couple of days the snow will quickly start to clear up naturally.

So how we're handling the situation isn't necessarily pathetic, but your ability to compare things may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Of course a country where this happens regularly will know how to deal with the snow. They have the infrastructure and the skills to cope with it. Practice makes perfect. On the other hand, this is a freak event for Ireland.

Nah, what we should do is spend about 50 million on snow infrastructure and then let it moulder in sheds for the 3645 days a decade that we have no use for it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

My sympathies - but that's not really a nationwide issue....since last night....which was the point Dubrov was making.

Sympathetic for what ????

Sympathetic for what ????

For the weather.... I posted in reply to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

source wrote: »
    Born and raised in Limerick and 35 years old, my knowledge of Irish geography is just fine, so lay off the patronising tone.

From what I've seen from tv and social media only Limerick, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo haven't been significantly affected. That's 5 counties out of 26.

I would say that's a small portion of the country, discounting the sheer size of Mayo of course.

Bullcrap! North Clare/ South Galway had heavy snow accumulations Wed night and driving was treacherous this morning. No improvement or thaw during the day and by 3pm it was snowing again. I didn’t see one car on the N67 all day Thursda, too dangerous... Hubby was all set to go to work in Ennis and had to return.....worst driving conditions he had ever seen and he had driven in the heavy Dublin snow of 2010! Pity about Limerick......maybe if ye had ventured down to Rathkeale ye might have found the snow there!

Sorry don't get that, I don't know of any kids that go to national school in another town/village, vast majority of kids in Ireland attend schools located in their locality don't they? Just because they are driven to school doesn't mean they couldn't walk; be less dangerous with so little traffic on the roads ;)

Maybe you would let your 7 year old walk to school in these conditions. I value my child’s life more then that. A 7 year old girl was killed in Cornwall when a car skidded and mowed her down!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-43243417

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sundew wrote: »
    Bullcrap! North Clare/ South Galway had heavy snow accumulations Wed night and driving was treacherous this morning. No improvement or thaw during the day and by 3pm it was snowing again. I didn’t see one car on the N67 all day Thursda, too dangerous... Hubby was all set to go to work in Ennis and had to return.....worst driving conditions he had ever seen and he had driven in the heavy Dublin snow of 2010! Pity about Limerick......maybe if ye had ventured down to Rathkeale ye might have found the snow there!

You might want to read the thread again. Source is definitely on your side in this argument. :) It's still true that Ennis, Limerick City, Galway City and other spots on this side of the country escaped the worst today.

You might want to read the thread again. Source is definitely on your side in this argument. :) It's still true that Ennis, Limerick City, Galway City and other spots on this side of the country escaped the worst today.
    Well maybe they escaped but people from outlying districts could not get in to work. Was in Galway City on Wed and no snow at all, as soon as I hit Kilcolgen, it was a “ white out”. They were right to call a red alert.....how were they suppose to color code the different areas where the snow hit and the others where it didn’t! The mind boggles and I smell sour grapes from a lot of folks who just didn’t see any of the white stuff!

Sundew wrote: »
    Well maybe they escaped but people from outlying districts could not get in to work. Was in Galway City on Wed and no snow at all, as soon as I hit Kilcolgen, it was a “ white out”. They were right to call a red alert.....how were they suppose to color code the different areas where the snow hit and the others where it didn’t! The mind boggles and I smell sour grapes from a lot of folks who just didn’t see any of the white stuff!

Why would there be sour grapes? As you call it??

We’re getting the snow late tonight.... but that’s hardly the point.

A nationwide red alert was issued Wednesday night. Clearly it wasn’t a nationwide problem.

The warning could have been restricted to non Primary routes in the West,Midwest. And Most of the Northwest was clear today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Why would there be sour grapes? As you call it??

We’re getting the snow late tonight.... but that’s hardly the point.

A nationwide red alert was issued Wednesday night. Clearly it wasn’t a nationwide problem.

The warning could have been restricted to non Primary routes in the West,Midwest. And Most of the Northwest was clear today.

Give it a rest ffs

Give it a rest ffs

If you’ve a point to make here I’m happy to discuss it.

But If not, this is really a pointless post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Folks expecting weather forecast to suit every village and land mass in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

If you’ve a point to make here I’m happy to discuss it.

But If not, this is really a pointless post

My point is leave the predictions to the experts and stop being a Moaning Michael.

It is weather, it is dynamic and rapidly changing. 9 people are dead in the UK from the same system.

Nobody gives a toss about schools or poxy businesses being shut. Lives are at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Predicting the locations where the snow will fall is not the same as having a guiding system for cruise missiles,

Advertisement