Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's all the snow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

[TOAST]

Reading, and thinking there may be a lack of carbs itt for some posters...

[/TOAST]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

So is there any snow in Limerick?

Car99 wrote: »
    So is there any snow in Limerick?

Yes there is, it took a while to come down. It started around 21:30, very light. Seems to have missed the winds from Emma, so far. Still falling, still very light, but giving a nice covering.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Yes there is, it took a while to come down. It started around 21:30, very light. Seems to have missed the winds from Emma, so far. Still falling, still very light, but giving a nice covering.

Was out a few minutes ago, heard dripping, expect an early thaw. Looking out, it looks pretty sleety..

/DisappointedWolf

tbf - it's a grand covering this morning, made all the better by everyone staying at home and not slushing up the roads with their horseless carriages :pac:

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »
    Sorry don't get that, I don't know of any kids that go to national school in another town/village, vast majority of kids in Ireland attend schools located in their locality don't they? Just because they are driven to school doesn't mean they couldn't walk; be less dangerous with so little traffic on the roads ;)

Have to disagree with you there, even where I originally come from in county Dublin it was five miles door to door to my national school. If the weather is bad enough to require air supply of food I don't see young kids being able to walk any distance outside of one or two km without being wrecked by the time they get to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Sorry don't get that, I don't know of any kids that go to national school in another town/village, vast majority of kids in Ireland attend schools located in their locality don't they? Just because they are driven to school doesn't mean they couldn't walk; be less dangerous with so little traffic on the roads ;)

That's all well and good but what about the teachers? Don't imagine many if any would be living locally to their schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Sundew wrote: »
    Bullcrap! North Clare/ South Galway had heavy snow accumulations Wed night and driving was treacherous this morning. No improvement or thaw during the day and by 3pm it was snowing again. I didn’t see one car on the N67 all day Thursda, too dangerous... Hubby was all set to go to work in Ennis and had to return.....worst driving conditions he had ever seen and he had driven in the heavy Dublin snow of 2010! Pity about Limerick......maybe if ye had ventured down to Rathkeale ye might have found the snow there!

I'm not complaining that we didn't have snow, i was trying to say that even if the western counties didn't have snow the red alert was the right call. Your experience backs up my claim over the point being put forward by other posters.

'twas fairly stealthy last night. I was watching most of the night and I'm surprised by how much settled.

Looking out now, still falling very fine and dusty, wind seems to have picked up a little and blowing unsettled dust around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The red alert was due to the storm which never came, a non event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

Sundew wrote: »
    Maybe you would let your 7 year old walk to school in these conditions. I value my child’s life more then that. A 7 year old girl was killed in Cornwall when a car skidded and mowed her down!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-43243417

What would stop you walking with him? I'd be willing to bet that more kids get killed travelling in cars than walking in this country. Weren't there 3 teenagers killed going to a party in UK last week? You not going to let yours outside when they reach their teenage years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

NATLOR wrote: »
    That's all well and good but what about the teachers? Don't imagine many if any would be living locally to their schools

I wouldn't fancy driving my usual 30 miles to school to be honest. Doubt my colleagues who live on high ground albeit near the school would either.

In other news, Ballinacurra is nicely pasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

What would stop you walking with him? I'd be willing to bet that more kids get killed travelling in cars than walking in this country. Weren't there 3 teenagers killed going to a party in UK last week? You not going to let yours outside when they reach their teenage years?
    Steady on, man, the snow's gone to your head.

Seriously though, are people feeling hard done by or something? Another example of blatant anti-Limerick bias in the D4 meeja?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's snowing fairly heavily and steadily here in Murroe for the last 30-40 minutes, getting heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Ah it's fairly bad tbh lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It appears we had no extra snow overnight up here at the top of the country, just very windy last night.

Hopefully that's it starting to clear from today.

Had a good day in the snow with the kids yesterday, and maybe another hour or so today, but will be glad to see the back of it.

Talking of the snow, it was a weird type of snow. Kids were rolling around in it, I was kneeling in it for about an hour making a snowman, but none of us were wet when we came back inside.

Dry snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

NATLOR wrote: »

Indeed. I teach in a school in D10. I live in Tallaght. If the M50 was clear it’d be a handy enough spin. The problem is traversing my way out of an estate to get to the hill that leads to the M50. I could use public transport, I suppose, but that’d involve getting up to the square to get a bus that isn’t running, or the Luas. Which isn’t running.

And I live relatively close to the school in the grand scheme of things. I’ve colleagues who’d have to make the journey from Portlaoise, Dundalk, Baltinglass....

Perhaps the air corps should be brought in to ferry teachers around the country? To keep the schools open so whingers would have one less easy target to bitch about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

peckerhead wrote: »
    Steady on, man, the snow's gone to your head.

Impossible.. perhaps the lack of it has.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Ah it's fairly bad tbh lads.

When are you getting in the snow tyres ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just had a 45-minute snowball fight, great fun. Kids are out having a great time. The snow is so powdery that it takes ages for your hands to feel cold too (under gloves at least).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Went for a walk around the SCR/Ballinacurra. I think there is a bit of a slow thaw going on even though the snow continues to fall. My weather station is giving 2.4c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Just passed along Roxboro road & Childers road. The main roads have been ploughed and gritted and are fine to drive on but somebody has placed giant snow balls in the middle of the road at the junction of Childers Road and Hyde road.

Anybody looking for messages the petrol station opposite the Roxboro Garda station and the cost cutter at Green park appear open but I was not inside so I have no idea what stock is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

anyone on the N69 and the motorway ? what are the roads like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Thread title: "Where's all the snow?"

Me: *Looks outside*

Me: Literally everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

It didnt disappoint in the end! Around Limerick city and suburbs it was a few inches thick! Still snowing heavily but definitely a thaw going on. Kind of suits me, ive to get to Ennis tomorrow morning.

Are the motorways fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Where are the whingers now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Where are the whingers now

Ah now c'mon....

Granted precautions have to be taken....but we've seen far worse than this before..."The Beast from the East" didn't exactly impress us with blizzard like conditions we were told to expect....

I went for a lovely pleasant walk yesterday evening well after the curfew...it was lovely and mild despite the falling snow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Ah now c'mon....

Granted precautions have to be taken....but we've seen far worse than this before..."The Beast from the East" didn't exactly impress us with blizzard like conditions we were told to expect....

I went for a lovely pleasant walk yesterday evening well after the curfew...it was lovely and mild despite the falling snow...

Ah now c'mon yourself. Look beyond your own backyard for once. A quick reading the weather thread shows massive variations locally in conditions. Now just think about that for a second and what MET Eireann have to think about when forecasting for the whole island.

So we escaped the worst of it in general, so what, be thankful we did and stop crying about it for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Leonita

I just went out and measured the amount lodged outside my door 2.5 feet so far and its starting to get heavier again :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

N21 at Adare is clear and passable. No issues.

Thaw beginning to set in

Patrickswell and Adare got about 4cm (1.5 inches). Modest in the whole scheme of things.

Advertisement