Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda recycling charge

Options
  • 01-03-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Just got an email, Panda are now charging €0.80 per lift and €0.45 per kg for your green bin waste.

It won't be long until we are paying at least €25 for black bin and €10 for green per lift when the new pay by kg comes into effect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I can see it getting expensive. Our green bin is always heavy, I always compact it pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Often wondered is there anyone better for the bins.

Never really looked into, so dunno if just being cheaper is enough or would there be hidden costs in moving that need to factor in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

jeffk wrote: »
    Often wondered is there anyone better for the bins.

Never really looked into, so dunno if just being cheaper is enough or would there be hidden costs in moving that need to factor in

Not up around corduff or mulhuddart anyway. Panda is the only option

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a disgrace that there are no options available to people other than Panda. They can basically charge whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

That’s a joke, we are continually getting ripped off in this country. We were told bin charges were brought in to encourage recycling which was just a ploy to introduce the charges and now we find ourselves paying for recycling. We don’t even have an alternative to panda which is another scandal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

how.gareth wrote: »
    That’s a joke, we are continually getting ripped off in this country. We were told bin charges were brought in to encourage recycling which was just a ploy to introduce the charges and now we find ourselves paying for recycling. We don’t even have an alternative to panda which is another scandal

Remember the days of Fingal CC doing collection and the pain of brown tickets attached to the bins,but they were ok.
    Then, Panda came and went under FCC with pricing...result was FCC went out of business.
    Then Tompson came and did an aggressive campaing, making Panda matching their offer despite losing money...result, Tompson withdraw / lost the plot.

Today, Panda has monopoly and despite doing a decent job in collecting the bins, well, we will never be happy with charges.

Looking forward when Panda will be kicked or they will have to share the market with another provider but...what the other provider has to do to get Panda's share !?

Personal, i don't know how much is profit and how much is operating expenses. I try to use Coolmine recycling centre as much as I can, which I advise to do same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When does this start? I haven’t had any email yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

how.gareth wrote: »

The reason for the charges being introduced is quite simple. Irish people don't follow the rules. They put nappies in the green recycling bin, they put unsuitable plastics in as well, and the brown bin gets all sorts. They also produce more plastic waste than other countries.

As a result, the collected green waste is low value. Until recently, China was happy to take our recycled waste and burn or dump it. They have stopped and Ireland is now being charged for its low quality waste.

We need a few things:

- clearer labelling and instructions for what goes into different bins, so people have no excuse
    - higher charges for those who put the wrong things in the wrong bins
    - better education in schools

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-plastic-waste-3786393-Jan2018/

https://recyclinglistireland.ie/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/special-report-failure-of-irish-households-to-recycle-properly-is-a-massive-waste-of-time-829833.html

Before any of us start criticising the waste collection companies, we should go home and look in our own green bins and see where the problem is.

...people produce more plastic waste... do they have alternative options....

..putting stuff in the wrong bins...what about kids and elderly people doing it by accident...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

A neighbour put the wrong stuff in a bin, some mix up lead to big yellow warning sticker on our bin. So if people can't heed that sticker warning, charge more or stop taking their bins

Recycling is a joke, people do the work sorting stuff before goes into bins and cost of tags just goes up and up

Another thing is glass, recyclable, but we've to drive it to recycling centre or bottle bank. Same with oil and large packaging/electrical items.

Once a month a truck should go around estates collecting recycling stuff that can't go into wheelie bins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you have a car going to Fingal Recycling Centre in Coolmine weekly is free for all recyclables.
    Don't put out the green bin to be charged pickup & price/Kg fee.

Just need somewhere to store your clean waste for a week at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Patww79 wrote:

Bingo!........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

They and the other waste companies in Dublin are being investigated for running a cartel. Apparently this was admitted on tape to Fingal County councillor Keith Redmond, who gave the recording to the watchdog last year.
    In the 10-minute recording, the waste company staff member said bin companies split up areas of the city to ensure none of the firms went out of business.

"They are at a certain point now you have X amount of customers and we have X amount of customers - fine, you have this area and we'll have this area," the staff member said.

"Now if we went into their area, they'd come into ours, and if they came into ours we'd go back into theirs and there would just be a war. It would come to the stage where one of the big companies would be shut down - and that is unfortunately how it would work," he added.

Personally I would like to see someone found guilty, convicted and jailed for this kind of thing as a deterrent to others. But with our establishment's record of dealing with white collar crime it'll probably be a suspended sentence and a €50 fine, followed by an increase in customer charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

They and the other waste companies in Dublin are being investigated for running a cartel. Apparently this was admitted on tape to Fingal County councillor Keith Redmond, who gave the recording to the watchdog last year.

Personally I would like to see someone found guilty, convicted and jailed for this kind of thing as a deterrent to others. But with our establishment's record of dealing with white collar crime it'll probably be a suspended sentence and a €50 fine, followed by an increase in customer charges.

Exactly what I was thinking, as well as power city, d.i.d, Harvey Norman, sky, Virgin media, eir, etc etc.
    All false competition and cartels.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Green bin waste? Is that the recycling bin?
    Sounds like Green bin waste as in grass, leaves so on.

0.45 per kg is 450 per ton.
    That is a crazy price. You sure it's not 0.045 per kg

Green bin waste? Is that the recycling bin?
    Sounds like Green bin waste as in grass, leaves so on.

Yes recycling waste.

• Advertisement

0.45 per kg is 450 per ton.
    That is a crazy price. You sure it's not 0.045 per kg

Sorry it's 4.5 cent per kg not 45 cent, I must of being under the influence when posting.

But it's still the thin edge Of The wedge.

Recycling bin would weigh 15kg tops, that would cost 1.45 all in with lift charge.
    You multiply that by the amount of customers and it's a lot of money for Panda. But China has closed it's door, that is true and someone has to pay to make it viable to recycle.
    Most will pay around a Euro , recycle bin normally weighs 10kg or less. Very light weight when correctly filled. Only magazines would weigh a lot, and you would need quite a pile of them to increase weight.

You get people dropping stuff in other people's bins also.

Recycling...recycle bin normally weighs 10kg or less. Very light weight when correctly filled. Only magazines would weigh a lot, and you would need quite a pile of them to increase weight.

Filled correctly...what does that mean...

I compact mine, and it can be heavy. Most of it is packaging from food and groceries.

beauf wrote: »

I compact mine, and it can be heavy. Most of it is packaging from food and groceries.

Filled correctly with actual recyclables. Dunno how it could ever be heavy, you wheel it. Tops 12-15 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

beauf wrote: »

Is the packaging washed and dry?

Food residues on packaging from food and groceries can contaminate a whole batch making it unrecyclable, thereby pushing up costs.

"If items once contained food or liquid they must be rinsed clean and given a shake to remove the water before going into your recycle bin. Food and liquid can contaminate the materials in the recycling bin. Wet paper cannot be recycled."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/baffled-by-recycling-rules-here-s-all-you-need-to-know-1.3195917

https://www.panda.ie/household/recycling-tips.html

http://recyclinglistireland.ie/

Compacting a green bin also makes it more difficult to sort the different material, also pushing up costs.

These cannot be recycled in your green bin:

Coffee Cups
    A disposable coffee cup is made from paper but has a plastic lining that is difficult to remove, so coffee cups must go in your black bin.

Carrier Bags / Refuse Sack
    Plastic bags get tangled in the machines and slow down work on the sorting lines as people must empty them.

Soft Plastics
    We do not have the technology to recycle soft plastics such as wrappers.

Paper Towels / Napkins
    These items are usually made from recycled paper that can only be recycled a limited number of times. You can put them in your compost bin.

Glass
    Glass is 100% recyclable, however, glass does not go in the recycle bin. Glass should be placed in glass/bottle banks.

Aluminium Foil & Trays
    Food can be difficult to clean off used foil and trays so it’s best to put them in your black bin.

Dirty Pizza Boxes
    Food stained paper should go in the general waste or compost bin as food is a major contaminant in paper recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does the €110 annual charge still exist?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Is the packaging washed and dry?....

Compacting a green bin also makes it more difficult to sort the different material, also pushing up costs......

We were talking about weight, and your reply doesn't mention weight once.

Your assumption is that the green bin can't be heavy.
    I'm saying it will be if you compact it.
    Which is why papers and magazines are heavy.

Why compact it? Because it doesn't all fit otherwise.
    Some of our neighbours have two green bins.

My compacting is simply standing in the bin.
    its not like an industrial press or anything.

Maybe I should get some form of shredder.

Does the €110 annual charge still exist?

Yes.

• Advertisement

I wonder is this new charge to pay the ringsend incinerator to burn the recycling waste.

Advertisement