Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The weather

• 01-03-2018 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Just checking on all you ould folks, hope you're all warm and cosy indoors. 'King Leo' said we had to stay in but I hope we can go out to play soon. I'm already suffering from cabin fever. Surely it will be all over by Sunday? Eh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This old folk has spent a very peaceful day mostly by the fire trying to remember how to use Photoshop. Bored now though, fine tomorrow would be good (I'm pretty sure its not going to happen :D ). The cats had their legs crossed by mid afternoon and just had to go out and brave the drifts of snow in the back garden. They didn't stay out long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Going stir crazy. I'm an out and about kind of fella and being stuck in for the past two days is so boring. They now say the alert to remain indoors is until 6pm tomorrow with Orange alert after that. We are very rural and the roads are already impassable. We also only have enough milk for tomorrow.:eek:

But, warm and well fed.

Keep warm and safe all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Three survivalists so far. I do feel sorry for those out in the sticks as I know things get sticky during bad weather but I don't understand city folks stocking up on bread and milk! In our local supermarket they were cleaned out of milk and bread and nobody seemed to want fresh vegetables. I rang a few lone elderly people I know and they were all fine. Nobody bothered to ring me though so I mustn't be old enough, yet! :)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Three survivalists so far. I do feel sorry for those out in the sticks as I know things get sticky during bad weather but I don't understand city folks stocking up on bread and milk! In our local supermarket they were cleaned out of milk and bread and nobody seemed to want fresh vegetables. I rang a few lone elderly people I know and they were all fine. Nobody bothered to ring me though so I mustn't be old enough, yet! :)

My son in law rang this morning 'because the guy on radio said to check on old people'. The cheek :D

Decent of him to offer to hike the 4 miles to us with supplies, if we needed anything though - and he was being genuine.

You're blessed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Just checking on all you ould folks, hope you're all warm and cosy indoors. 'King Leo' said we had to stay in but I hope we can go out to play soon. I'm already suffering from cabin fever. Surely it will be all over by Sunday? Eh?

Thanks JB. This oul geezer is warm and snug in his cabin without a trace of fever so far. Cranked up the old 4x4 today and ventured forth to stock up on wine and pipe-tobacco. Have hooked up a TV to the old hi-fi and am set up to watch an opera (or even two) on DVD tomorrow. I know it's not to everyone's taste but I'm excited. Our wonderful little hound is 1 tomorrow. She has been a source of great hilarity in the snow. Best wishes to all.

Ok, now its snowmageddon! We had snow yesterday. Now we have a lot of snow!

There are some things I'm finding strange this week:

Firstly, I've noticed a lot of Irish TV reporters standing in snowy surroundings with blizzards a-blowing around their ears and very few of them are wearing woolly hats or hoods. Is it just vanity or stupidity?

Irish TV reporters stop people on the roads for their comments on the conditions and the reporters seem to expect negative responses when the majority of people are not overly concerned but getting on with it and showing a great spirit.

Irish TV channel showing snowy reports most of the day. When I switched to other channels from across the water, the snowy reports only come on when they normally would, during or after the News. They are experiencing the same conditions as us.

Two reports said someone said they had never seen such weather before in all their lives. I beg to differ, we may not have had a Russian blizzard but we definitely have had loads of snow before as we had to dig ourselves out way back in the 70's. In the 50's or 60's I remember the Liffey freezing over and people skating on the ice. I'm not bewildered. Anyone else remember bad conditions like this?

I'm expecting a few snowballs come my way after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love the snow, always have. I've been out for the dawn every morning hoping to get some good photographs. Having the snow on my doorstop saves me having to get up two hours before dawn to drive into the mountains to shoot stuff. Lie ins FTW.
    Also, my sourdough is legendary now. I've gone into high production now and have been giving starters to neighbours and friends cos, you know, bread.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Sick to my teeth of it at this stage. Apart from Mrs S I haven't seen a living soul in four days. I thought we were out of biscuits this morning but found two packs in my secret emergency stash.

Hopefully the road here will be traversable tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Just back from a dangerous sorti to the supermarket (about half a mile away). Hard work as some of the snow is still 10 inches deep and some is that half frozen slush that is more difficult than the snow. I have recently discovered how very useful a walking stick is for this kind of situation (and mud and mucky woodland). Nice to get out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Alice1

All well here. Nice and cosy. Snow up my knees though!

We've been ok for vittles this week as I usually have a lot in the freezer. We could survive for another couple of days I think. (Funny thing, my computer dictionary has never heard of 'vittles' and has suggested 'tittles'!! :D

I ran out of cat food! We could have managed fine, but the moggies would have been heartbroken. And told us about it, a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How does this rate against ‘82? Or for anyone ould enough to remember 1963 or 1947?

Gael23 wrote: »
    How does this rate against ‘82? Or for anyone ould enough to remember 1963 or 1947?

It depends on the part of the country you're in. It was worse where I am, by far, in '82 from the point of view of snowfall but this year beat '82 in the south east. '62 was more of a big freeze than a snow storm. It froze from late December until March.
    I was only 3 in '47 but it was the worst, by all accounts. There were huge snow falls over a period of weeks and several hundred people died.
    This year will probably be a record for low temperatures in March tough.

Not very relevant, but I was born in the middle of the snow event in 1947 - I apparently arrived before the midwife! I was born at home but the midwife could not get through the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭cobham

Surely 2010 rates a mention? 5 weeks of ice snow etc. We had family funeral.

cobham wrote: »
    Surely 2010 rates a mention? 5 weeks of ice snow etc. We had family funeral.

2009/10 was a prolonged period of cold but nothing compared to those other dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭cobham

2009/10 was a prolonged period of cold but nothing compared to those other dates.

I am thinking of snow that started c nov 25th 2010 and stayed until thawed rapidly on st stephens day. I was snowed in for that month.... had to walk out of estate to get taxi to airport dec 10th and also walked to hospital appointment c dec 17th, trouble getting a shared taxi part way home later that day.

• Advertisement

We wouldn't make good pioneers. There is plenty of meat and vegetables available but there was no bread in Dunnes again today. The queues in Lidl today were horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I'm sure that in 1963 we survived better than we can these days even though the conditions were worse. we have become a nation of softies I feel, and yes I am as bad as anyone.

Those of us who remember the good or bad 'ould days can manage pretty well I think,but I'm hearing about people stocking up on booze or Pepsi Cola and crisps because they won't be able to fight through the snow to get them, makes me think there are a lot of flaky snowflakes about too.

agreed JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We are very well looked after out here. (Moved to a small offshore island last autumn; not my first island home) When the forecast came re snow, caught the small ferry and stocked up well. That was Monday before the forecast panicked folk) . Cat food and dogfood high on the list, and coal.

And then we hardly had much snow... As we get cut off often, I tend to stay well stocked anyways.

I think most of us old 'uns, and particularly those living rural, can survive a week or ten days without access to the shops. We're inclined to do a full shop every week and stock the freezer with bread and meat, as a matter of routine - none of these daily top up visits to the shop for us. Fuel is usually bulk bought. The only thing I was stuck for was my daily paper and not seeing another living soul, bar Mrs S, for five days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think most of us old 'uns, and particularly those living rural, can survive a week or ten days without access to the shops. We're inclined to do a full shop every week and stock the freezer with bread and meat, as a matter of routine - none of these daily top up visits to the shop for us. Fuel is usually bulk bought. The only thing I was stuck for was my daily paper and not seeing another living soul, bar Mrs S, for five days.

Moving here has sharpened my wits on this We can be cut off a week at a time and there are no bulk deliveries . People were kind with turf. I love the challenge and the isolation. But not my first stay on a small island.

sometimes I wish this island was a bit smaller and further away. too close to the mainland by half.

Rube, just find the biggest oar you can, hop in a boat, and just push off! You'll arrive here in a couple of days. :D

• Advertisement

Rube, just find the biggest oar you can, hop in a boat, and just push off! You'll arrive here in a couple of days. :D

you have no idea how much I want to do just that xxx

Advertisement