Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The weather

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cobham wrote: »
    I am thinking of snow that started c nov 25th 2010 and stayed until thawed rapidly on st stephens day. I was snowed in for that month.... had to walk out of estate to get taxi to airport dec 10th and also walked to hospital appointment c dec 17th, trouble getting a shared taxi part way home later that day.

Agree totally. I was up in the Donegal mountains in 2010 and could not get out for nearly 6 weeks. The road was 3 inches of solid ice and one of the local priests was out on skis to help take supplies to folk.

I will evermore be grateful to a boardsie with a suitable vehicle who helped me at that time.

Always regional; this last episode was almost nothing here . No comparison.

Rubecula wrote: »
    you have no idea how much I want to do just that xxx

Ah you are in Anglesey! One of my family's frequent camping places and I am sure that that is where my passion for sea and island's began. I have such great memories; we were sent winkle picking as kids and now I am where they do it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah you are in Anglesey! One of my family's frequent camping places and I am sure that that is where my passion for sea and island's began. I have such great memories; we were sent winkle picking as kids and now I am where they do it too...

Nice place, and I really do love the place to be honest, but sadly it is the language which foxes me. I call the place "the land of the horizontal tree" because it is so windy in many months of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You've heard of wind breakers haven't you Rube? I can lend you one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nice place, and I really do love the place to be honest, but sadly it is the language which foxes me. I call the place "the land of the horizontal tree" because it is so windy in many months of the year.

I've a few trees like that right here but probably leaning the opposite direction.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    You've heard of wind breakers haven't you Rube? I can lend you one. :)

it needs to be 100 miles long and about 1000 feet high :D

I could sew two together. Sorry Rube, best I can do. :D

lol... Yes, I remember shopkeepers in Llandudno breaking into Welsh.. Here it is Gaeltacht, but they are too polite to do that. Our islanders are bi-lingual here. I tried to learn but got as far as the first 2 words of the Lord's Prayer and gave up..
    I once went to Mass in far flung Dingle; had not realised it was to be in FOREIGN... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG homily

What was rather lovely was that I was chatting to folk after and the mothers were teaching their toddlers both languages.

Bent trees! There are a couple I pass every time I am out. One day recently I tried to walk the dog in a gale and was marching on the spot....

Altogether it sounds like here; thank you as I have always wondered where my total passion for small islands came from and it is Anglesey. I loved it and it was before our family disintegrated.

THANK YOU!

it needs to be 100 miles long and about 1000 feet high :D

lol.. reminds me of one market day in Killibegs when my canopy walked me across the road and nearly into the sea. I was rescued by 2 priests

.....One day recently I tried to walk the dog in a gale and was marching on the spot...
    lol.. reminds me of one market day in Killibegs when my canopy walked me across the road and nearly into the sea. I was rescued by 2 priests

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

lol... Yes, I remember shopkeepers in Llandudno breaking into Welsh.. Here it is Gaeltacht, but they are too polite to do that. Our islanders are bi-lingual here. I tried to learn but got as far as the first 2 words of the Lord's Prayer and gave up..
    I once went to Mass in far flung Dingle; had not realised it was to be in FOREIGN... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG homily

What was rather lovely was that I was chatting to folk after and the mothers were teaching their toddlers both languages.

Bent trees! There are a couple I pass every time I am out. One day recently I tried to walk the dog in a gale and was marching on the spot....

Altogether it sounds like here; thank you as I have always wondered where my total passion for small islands came from and it is Anglesey. I loved it and it was before our family disintegrated.

THANK YOU!

I tried very hard to learn the Irish language but living in this place I had to do it on my own lol obviously I did not succeed very well.

Never been interested in learning Irish though I wish I could already speak it, but to be honest I've never been in a situation where I would need it. One day when I have nothing to do I may go back for a course but then I might prefer Spanish or French or German. Anyway this is way off the subject of weather.

the europeans have bad weather too lol

the europeans have bad weather too lol

Stay safe ... there was one day here when the door( opens outwards) was grabbed by the gale and before I could let go I was literally flung across the concrete path , full length. Only a graze but had I hit my head? Dog just sat there asking me what I thought I was doing. The council do know and I know there has been trouble with this door before but I have fixed it myself. Large rocks so that it cannot open more than is safe. We sometimes do not realise the sheer force of these gusts,

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Never been interested in learning Irish though I wish I could already speak it, but to be honest I've never been in a situation where I would need it. One day when I have nothing to do I may go back for a course but then I might prefer Spanish or French or German. Anyway this is way off the subject of weather.

If you are in a tourist area, a foreign language can be a blessing. I speak fluent French and at markets the look of sheer relief on faces when I greet them is awesome. It can be a great courtesy

If you are in a tourist area, a foreign language can be a blessing. I speak fluent French and at markets the look of sheer relief on faces when I greet them is awesome. It can be a great courtesy

the courtesy idea is why I want to speak Welsh. I want to speak Irish for family reasons. I can get by in other languages.

the courtesy idea is why I want to speak Welsh. I want to speak Irish for family reasons. I can get by in other languages.

But you are a foreigner there so they should accommodate you ;)

they do but it is not the same really ... Mae'n ddrwg gen i, ond ni allaf siarad yn Gymraeg is the longest phrase I can say in Welsh

they do but it is not the same really ... Mae'n ddrwg gen i, ond ni allaf siarad yn Gymraeg is the longest phrase I can say in Welsh

Impressive!

It has gone quiet out there... shhhh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement