Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when flights resume

Options
  • 01-03-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

So Ryanair and Aerlingus cancelled most flights until saturday morning. Will this have a knock on affect to already planned flights for Saturday or do they keep them on track and fit more flights in around them?

Or do they give preference to people who have possibly been sitting in a terminal for 12 hours and delay the planned ones?

Just curious as I'm supposed to fly into Dublin on Saturday with the babies and I think I'd rather stay here an extra few day than spend an unknown amount of hours in an airport trying to amuse the lads.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The point of completely postponing flights tomorrow is to have a smother return to ops Saturday. Most aircraft should be in place for operations to resume Saturday, except the EI LH fleet, which most of is currently in North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Those booked to fly on Saturday will fly while those who have had flights cancelled will be accommodated on flights pending availability and/or some additional flights added which should not impact existing schedules. There should't be major delays provided there is a smooth start to the day.
    except the EI LH fleet, which most of is currently in North America.

Will fly back tomorrow night...

People who have paid and booked to fly Saturday fly Saturday. Others will fit in on spare seats or carriers will add extra flights (where possible) or use a larger aircraft (where possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A lot will depend on what the weather is doing on Saturday, the models are not clear at the moment, there is a strong chance that significant cold from the East may reload and keep the sort of weather we've had for the last few days going, if that is the case, it will all be down to how much snow falls tonight and tomorrow, and how quickly it can be cleared, from both the airport and the roads, as the airport can't operate without staff, who have to be able to get there, safely

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

A lot will depend on what the weather is doing on Saturday, the models are not clear at the moment, there is a strong chance that significant cold from the East may reload and keep the sort of weather we've had for the last few days going, if that is the case, it will all be down to how much snow falls tonight and tomorrow, and how quickly it can be cleared, from both the airport and the roads, as the airport can't operate without staff, who have to be able to get there, safely

All the airport agencies etc are now focused on resumption on Saturday from very early (for most people). That actually means some being in and working fully from 8/9pm tomorrow.

Lots of the hotels around the airport are busy with airport staff where employers are keeping essential crews and staff close by to remove the dependency on commuting.

The point made already is very important and that is that staff need to be able to get in safely and operate safely once in (that’s fine for those in the Terminal but those who work outside need to be very careful).

There will also be issues with making sure equipment doesn’t freeze over and that aircraft are not “parked” in the way of snow ploughs. That’s why all the moving parts have to work together.

Airport folk are a funny bunch - staff turned in yesterday and today and stay the distance.

I know several airlines were talking about bringing in larger aircraft to lift everyone on saturday. Others are running on low loads at present with room to cater for good numbers who need to rebook. For others there will be no point in travelling as the reason for travel is now “gone” (for example if you needed to be in London today for a meeting, you won’t travel on Saturday - no need).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

All the airport agencies etc are now focused on resumption on Saturday from very early (for most people). That actually means some being in and working fully from 8/9pm tomorrow.

My understanding is that most operational staff would be at least two thirds the way through their normal early shift by that stage?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    My understanding is that most operational staff would be at least two thirds the way through their normal early shift by that stage?

Pat - security points are to reopen so staff can get airside in the normal way (not all points open now); then there is a major de-icing needed (not aeroplanes but the walkways and the like) etc

Normal shifts and hours are not being applied by most agencies. Some are on “24 hours” albeit staying in hotels at the airport somas to be available.

Airport is absolutely dead airside at the moment (in the Terminals).

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

So it depends on if there is a thaw by tmo. Which is unlikely? I wonder if or when they'll announce an extension to closure of operations?

milhous wrote: »
    So it depends on if there is a thaw by tmo. Which is unlikely? I wonder if or when they'll announce an extension to closure of operations?

The airport will open for flights tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

How solid is that ?

trellheim wrote: »
    How solid is that ?

I would say 90%, worst is over for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I know several airlines were talking about bringing in larger aircraft to lift everyone on saturday. Others are running on low loads at present with room to cater for good numbers who need to rebook. For others there will be no point in travelling as the reason for travel is now “gone” (for example if you needed to be in London today for a meeting, you won’t travel on Saturday - no need).

Yeah, my trip was cancelled outright because the earliest rebooking I could get would have had me at my destination three/four hours after I needed to be there.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Forecast from M.T. Cranium over in the Weather forum:

FORECASTS ...

TODAY will continue to produce locally heavy snowfall in some parts of the southeast, central Leinster, and scattered portions of the midlands and southwest, up into Galway............Further accumulations will therefore vary over a large range, your best bet is to double what you have already had from mid-day yesterday at your location -- this may be anywhere from 2-5 cm in light snow areas, to 30 to 50 cm in heavy snow zones. Winds near the east coast will be easterly 70 to 100 km/hr and these strong winds are making considerable progress inland in central regions, where snow has been heavy, severe blowing and drifting has already begun and will continue. Near the south coast, winds are likely to fluctuate more between 40 and 70 km/hr and drifting will be more moderate.................Temperatures for all will fluctuate between -1 and +1 C. There will be some limited sleet or even rain near south coast and in pockets on the east coast too, but no major changeover is expected, especially with the weaker depictions for storm Emma on the new guidance.

TONIGHT ... Snow will begin to taper off to light snow or flurries except in parts of the inland south and west where a further 10 to 15 cm may occur, however, there could be some ongoing heavy snow streamers in central Leinster. Winds will tend to back to northeast 40 to 70 km/hr. An interval of somewhat stronger winds may brush past Kerry affecting the southern portions as well as southwest Cork. Peak gusts may reach 100 km/hr. Coastal flooding is still possible although the risk seems a bit lower given the weaker circulation around the core of Emma. Lows generally -7 to -4 C north, -3 to +1 C south.

SATURDAY will be mostly overcast with a few sunny intervals developing mostly in the north, moderate northeast winds, and a few outbreaks of sleet or light snow possible in the east and south. Highs 2 to 5 C. There will be some melting of snow in urban and coastal areas, and some ponding of meltwater will begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Does anyone know any pilots who might have an idea if they will work tomorrow?
    First thing on my mind as a pilot would be getting to work safely never mind flying. I really hope there are flights tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Warning extended til 9am..I won't be taking any risks driving in so I'll be pulling the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

ian_m wrote: »
    First thing on my mind as a pilot would be getting to work safely never mind flying. I really hope there are flights tomorrow.

I'm a pilot. However tomorrow is a day off on my roster. The pilots who are rostered to fly tomorrow have been told to expect a normal operation. I would imagine the situation is very fluid, particularly now that the red warning has been extended to 9am.
    If the snow continues into the morning then airport operations will be severely disrupted and at best there will be delays. If it turns to sleet/rain overnight then at least it will provide an opportunity to clear the runway and taxiways of snow. It's anyone's guess at this stage how things will play out, but the airline's are currently planning a full return to normal ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Big issue is staff safety getting to work...guess they just don't care

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

ian_m wrote: »
    Airlines sometimes put their crews up in an airport hotel in cases like this to avoid them driving in on bad roads and potentially not making it on time/if at all. I don’t know however if Aer Lingus or Ryanair have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Big issue is staff safety getting to work...guess they just don't care

To be fair it's up to each individual to assess whether they can make it to work safely or not once the red warning has expired. Can't blame the airlines for trying to operate if they believe it's feasible. Air travel these days is an essential service, I think staff in the aviation sector aren't too far below emergency personnel in that regard. Rightly or wrongly there's an expectation that they will make every effort to get to work even under these challenging circumstances. Plenty of passengers have and will manage to get to the airport after all.
    Locker10a wrote: »
    Airlines sometimes put their crews up in an airport hotel in cases like this to avoid them driving in on bad roads and potentially not making it on time/if at all. I don’t know however if Aer Lingus or Ryanair have done this.

This does happen, I'd say the airport hotels are probably fairly full with stranded passengers already though.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of airport staff in airport hotels, using maximum capacity of rooms. We have staff in a hotel and we have changed shift times to avoid people travelling during the red warning as much as possible.

Need to have people on site or close because of people can’t get out of their houses that’s the end of it.

I’d say there will be ops tomorrow but as said above delays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Don’t see them back to normal tomorrow, Aer Lingus seem to have cancelled a number of morning flights to Europe already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

update on news bulletins earlier is that Aer Lingus have cancelled 50 flights before 1100, and Ryanair are "expecting disruption" to their morning program, with the details being available on their web site.

The weather is not going to improve as quickly as was forecast, there is still significant snow falling in the area of the Airport and South Meath, there are still substantial issues with road closures off the main M and N roads, with many minor roads blocked by drifts of up to 4 Ft depth, so I suspect that the reductions in the programmes are due to concerns about travel to and from the airport, and the anticipated state of the airfield after overnight snow that may not stop until 0900.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

So flight cancelled. Can't get through to aerlingus helpline, seems shut. Next available rebook is next friday which I've booked provisionally. Stranded and confused as to what is covered by airline. Insurance says onus is on airline. Is there a limit on spending for accomm? Or is there aerlingus designated hotels. Any chance they might charter a flight in the meantime? Ahhh!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

milhous wrote: »
    So flight cancelled. Can't get through to aerlingus helpline, seems shut. Next available rebook is next friday which I've booked provisionally. Stranded and confused as to what is covered by airline. Insurance says onus is on airline. Is there a limit on spending for accomm? Or is there aerlingus designated hotels. Any chance they might charter a flight in the meantime? Ahhh!
    They’ll reimburse reasonably expenses for food and accodation. Doubt they’ll charter a flight, the problem is not lack of aircraft it’s the ones they have can’t move

They cant move at present.. but next friday is a bit far away, like a full week is taking the piss a bit.

Who decides what is reasonable? We're in a five star atm, should we check out and book into a three star like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Locker10a wrote: »
    They’ll reimburse reasonably expenses for food and accodation.

Is that still the case where flight disruptions are a result of bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Don’t think you’ll get any compensation as the cancellations are due to extreme circumstances outside the control of the airline.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html#l7e93e

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Incorrect, you will get hotel expenses in all circumstances of weather delays, strikes, etc. You just won't get the other compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Graham wrote: »
    Is that still the case where flight disruptions are a result of bad weather?

Because of weather you don’t get the eu261 compensation but the airline has a duty of care to feed, water, house you.

Imagine they would organise this at the airport and it will be struggle to claim what you’ve arranged yourself outside of this.

Advertisement