Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when flights resume

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Incorrect, you will get hotel expenses in all circumstances of weather delays, strikes, etc. You just won't get the other compensation.

One may find it difficult to be compensated for their own expenses if their airline has made available accommodation and food etc that they chose not to avail of.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

codrulz wrote: »
    Incorrect, you will get hotel expenses in all circumstances of weather delays, strikes, etc. You just won't get the other compensation.

One may find it difficult to be compensated for their own expenses if their airline has made available accommodation and food etc that they chose not to avail of.

If only they did. Can't even get talking to anyone in or representing aerlingus.. Numbers are down, no response from Twitter and their legal position they linked on terms of compensation is vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

codrulz wrote: »

Ah jaysus me head is fried from answering questions a simple Google of EU261 could answer.

Yes of course, however I've not read of one scenario where the airline organised someone a hotel themselves through this cold weather, it seems to only ever happen when a delay/cancellation is isolated.

I know it's unprecedented weather conditions, but barr an email with a cancellation there is no available contact with aerlingus. I'm not sure what I expect but this is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

i'm to fly into Dublin at 9.00 PM tonight. what are my chances of airport being open tonight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

milhous wrote: »
    I know it's unprecedented weather conditions, but barr an email with a cancellation there is no available contact with aerlingus. I'm not sure what I expect but this is madness.
    You’re one of probably over 100,000 passengers all trying to contact Aer Lingus with the same sort of issues and questions, I wouldn’t expect much if I was you

I'm in Lanzarote, I just want to make my own way to fuerteventura and avail of an aerlingus flight there on Tuesday so I can get home. I'll save receipts, alth ough theyhll prob tell me to deck off when they realise I'm staying somewhere decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

milhous wrote: »
    I'm in Lanzarote, I just want to make my own way to fuerteventura and avail of an aerlingus flight there on Tuesday so I can get home. I'll save receipts, alth ough theyhll prob tell me to deck off when they realise I'm staying somewhere decent.
    If your hotel is outrageously expensive they may just reimburse a percentage of the cost deemed reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Aer lingus are trying to get the fleet up and running at the moment as are FR , as someone said upthread you'd be number 5,000 on hold if you rang in now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have experience of a snow claim with Wizz Air a few years ago.

After my flight was cancelled, and 3 hours of queuing to get an answer at the desk, they were able to give me a flight in one weeks time, which was a day before I was due to return.

As I was in Eindhoven, they were able to book me on another flight the following day from Dortmund in Germany. They said I would have to make my own way there and sort everything out myself. I said that would be fine.

Wizz Air (after a bit of explaining) paid back my food, hotel expense (4 star hotel), trains (x 4) 2 x airport buses and my mobile Internet and calls during the 30 hour delay period.

I did of course keep copies of all receipts, and scanned them in nicely with a cover letter and a breakdown of the expenses. I.e I made it easy for them.

The duly refunded every cent back.

So, my advice is keep a receipt of EVERY expense. Pay with card if you can, to back that up. Don't worry if it is the Crowne Plaza 4 star beside the airport that you stay in. You don't have to eat in Subway or tesco while you're delayed. Follow the claims process from the airline and make it easy for them.

The money will come back in due course. The caveat is that you have to have the money to fund this while you're out if pocket, Mr. Credit card usually helps with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is very true; make it easy for people to help you with copious records of expenditure .

Mr. credit card indeed.!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

Ah jaysus me head is fried from answering questions a simple Google of EU261 could answer.

Yes of course, however I've not read of one scenario where the airline organised someone a hotel themselves through this cold weather, it seems to only ever happen when a delay/cancellation is isolated.

Aer Lingus put my group of 32 (U14 rugby team) up in the Burlington from Weds 28th to Sunday 4th - bed, breakfast & dinner, and transfers to and from the airport. We only had to sort lunches.

Advertisement