Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal work in a 100 year old cottage

Options
  • 01-03-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Before I decided to make this post I did some searches but couldn't find my specific issue so please don't think I just launched into asking questions without searching.

My home is basically made up of two properties, the first/front of it is a 100-year-old cottage with 2' thick stone walls and Lime rendering inside and out but with added pebble dash exterior, and the rear was built in the mid 80's and is regular blockwork and plaster but doesn't appear to have any insulation to the walls or floors.

Neither section has any ventilation built in to them and I have kept some windows cracked open in every other room to keep condensation to a minimum ( teak windows and doors btw ), this has been fairly successful but I would like to ventilate the property in a more efficient way. What I am considering is the fitting of those silent running fans in the ceiling at two spots in the house, probably either end so has anyone done this before and if so would you share your experiences with me please?

I am aware of the Radon issue and I believe forced ventilation will help with this.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to give some idea of sizes/volumes... :)
    The pebbledash makes the walls non-breathable, which does not help with the movement of dampness through the wall.
    It will also contribute to some solar drive on the sunny side walls.
    Is there a dldc on the floor/walls of cottage.
    Are floors all concrete throughout?

I would look at full MHVR, despite the disruption

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AddisonD

You need to give some idea of sizes/volumes... :)
    The pebbledash makes the walls non-breathable, which does not help with the movement of dampness through the wall.
    It will also contribute to some solar drive on the sunny side walls.
    Is there a dldc on the floor/walls of cottage.
    Are floors all concrete throughout?

I would look at full MHVR, despite the disruption

Hi and thank you for replying Calahonda52.

We had damp on the walls when we moved in but no longer as the range is fired up and the radiators are used daily and as I said, the windows are opened a crack.

I do not know what 'dldc' & MHVR is, could you expand for me?

Thank you.

Advertisement