Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Vodafone Phone Upgrade

Options
  • 01-03-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Looking for some advice on selling a new upgrade phone.

I am due a vodafone upgrade, but I do not need an upgrade phone yet but will stay on bill pay for Data allowance etc.

If I take the upgrade to sell my understanding is that the upgrade phone is only locked to vodafone network and not specifically my account.

So my add will be for Vodafone users, pick a phone with and get a 10-20% discount, pay not returnable deposit, I order phone and sell once arrived.

Any thoughts ideas suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Would you consider dropping to a rolling 30 day contract instead?
    Not sure how much you're paying at the moment, but it's another option.

Take a look at "Vodafone Red Sim Only 30 day"
    One warning, it's only got 5GB a month on the plan if that's a problem for you.
    You can get 10GB a month at the same price, but that requires a 12 month contract.

I was on €75 a month with my last phone, and when the contract expired I didn't choose an upgrade.
    I'm on the same unlimited minutes and 5GB data now for €30 and can upgrade in 30 days if a phone I'm interested in is released.
    The only difference is I dropped the 100 minutes international calls I used to have.
    I don't make that many international calls compared to 2 years ago,
    but if I had to, the money I'm saving would buy a lot of minutes.

Even if you just put the savings every month aside you'd have your pick of phones before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Thanks

I'm on the standard red plan with 15GB data and I also get a group discount on the standard price.

My wife is also on a red all in for 20 euro a month. So We would both need to move to a payg plan, and to be honest I don't think I'd save much.

The plan would be to pocket the money now and buy SIM free later.

There are more options open this way too like the moto range and Huawei mate 10 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

The all in makes a big difference to the decision of course, and is already saving you money.

My wife was on a more extreme plan than I was, as she needed to make a lot of US calls.
    Between us we're saving just over €1,000 a year now as against buying phones on contract.

By the way, the plan I'm on isn't a PAYG one. It's standard billpay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I'd be very surprised if anyone agrees to pay a random person any amount of cash before you even have the phone, can you not see the risk here?

Not to mention the fact, that it's not a great idea unless you're really stuck for cash, you're r committing to what is most likely a 24 month contract, over which you're paying for the full value of the phone, and selling it for a reduced price now, because you'll only get second hand value.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ForestFire: Gets nice €600 upgrade phone for €550 and sells to buyer
    Buyer: Great
    ForestFire: Stops paying bill, for whatever reason
    Buyer: Has a brick

I'd never go for such an offer unless you were offering 50% off or better.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    ForestFire: Gets nice €600 upgrade phone for €550 and sells to buyer
    Buyer: Great
    ForestFire: Stops paying bill, for whatever reason
    Buyer: Has a brick

I'd never go for such an offer unless you were offering 50% off or better.
    Just to be pedantic, Operators don't blacklist phones for default on a phone bill.
    Would do if somone wanted to claim on insurance after sale, but they'd be scumbags in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

joecass123 wrote: »
    Just to be pedantic, Operators don't blacklist phones for default on a phone bill.
    Would do if somone wanted to claim on insurance after sale, but they'd be scumbags in that case.

Yes, they do.

ED E wrote: »
    Yes, they do.

I’m not going to go back and forth here, But having worked in telecoms for several years, I can tell you that Vodafone in this specific case don’t, they’ll deactivate a number but won’t blacklist the phone.

That's everyone so far,

Just some quick replies,

The payment could be made through Paypal so there would be some protection for the Buyer (but maybe not me anymore??)

If this is still an issue, then I could just take the plunge and go for a new S9 and hope to sell it after purchases.

As for non bill payment issue, and phone deactivation. I do not know if they really do this? Do they not just chase you for the money owed?

In any case, would every buyer see this as a real issue, and is there anyway to protect against it?

Last resort, you just take it to one on the Side street shops and Pay €10 to unlock, if that still works:D

As I said I don't know if this will work just looking for ideas on how to possible do it.

For example and ideas

New S9+ amazon price £869 = €975
    Cost to me to but on my plan:- €399
    See for:- €800

Or an S8 64GB amazon price £460 = €515
    Vodafone PAYG cost €679
    Cost to me = €0
    Sell for €400

ForestFire wrote: »

For example and ideas

Vodafone PAYG cost €679
    Cost to me = €0
    Sell for €400

I doubt anyone will pay those prices to you.
    SIM free S9s can be ordered for £739.

Private sales only work if they are significantly cheaper than deals from bricks & mortar or online stores :)

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if anyone agrees to pay a random person any amount of cash before you even have the phone, can you not see the risk here?

Not to mention the fact, that it's not a great idea unless you're really stuck for cash, you're r committing to what is most likely a 24 month contract, over which you're paying for the full value of the phone, and selling it for a reduced price now, because you'll only get second hand value.

I will continue to pay the bill pay price regardless, as I get a reduced offer and My wife in on "All in" plan.

So If I don't get a new phone, I will still be paying for one, for example I could get the S8 for free. Yes I am stuck on 24 month contract, but I don't see why I would come off of it.

Also the phone would not be second hand, it would be sold boxed and never used so the discount would be smaller.

Augeo wrote: »
    I doubt anyone will pay those prices to you.
    SIM free S9s can be ordered for £739.

Private sales only work if they are significantly cheaper than deals from bricks & mortar or online stores :)

My Example was for an S9+ and you said you can get a S9 cheaper??
    These are two different phones??

I can buy the Standard S9 for €299 new cost is €830 sell for €650

That's a €180 saving, If I went to €600 thats €230 off?

Are you telling me no one would be interested in this type of saving?

That's everyone so far,

Just some quick replies,

The payment could be made through Paypal so there would be some protection for the Buyer (but maybe not me anymore??)

If this is still an issue, then I could just take the plunge and go for a new S9 and hope to sell it after purchases.

As for non bill payment issue, and phone deactivation. I do not know if they really do this? Do they not just chase you for the money owed?

In any case, would every buyer see this as a real issue, and is there anyway to protect against it?

Last resort, you just take it to one on the Side street shops and Pay €10 to unlock, if that still works:D

As I said I don't know if this will work just looking for ideas on how to possible do it.

For example and ideas

Vodafone PAYG cost €679
    Cost to me = €0
    Sell for €400

OP, DO you mind me asking how much you're paying on your plan, and what fo you get for it?

My Example was for an S9+ and you said you can get a S9 cheaper??
    These are two different phones??

I can buy the Standard S9 for €299 new cost is €830 sell for €650

That's a €180 saving, If I went to €600 thats €230 off?

Are you telling me no one would be interested in this type of saving?

Buying from a private seller they don't know I'd be very surprised if anyone was.
    And you think the same which is why you are asking on here about it & seemingly not ordering until you have a deposit (non returnable at that, like, you will give some randomer a non returnable deposit for a phone they haven't ordered yet) :)

OP, DO you mind me asking how much you're paying on your plan, and what fo you get for it?
    Augeo wrote: »
    Buying from a private seller they don't know I'd be very surprised if anyone was.
    And you think the same which is why you are asking on here about it & seemingly not ordering until you have a deposit (non returnable at that, like, you will give some randomer a non returnable deposit for a phone they haven't ordered yet) :)

My Plan is €50 PM All Calls, Texts, 100min International, 15GB data 4G + Spotify; with second phone, €20 PM Calls, texts, 5GB data 4G.

We use spotify daily with GHome so its not an option to lose this, and it would cost €10 for this alone to replace outside plan.

The main question to ask here was, Is it still the case that the Phone I get, can be used with any vodafone SIM inc. PAYG?

I have already addressed the Deposit question...remember I can get a samsung Galaxy S8 64GB for Free staying on my current plan and just try to sell this when I have it..

I don't see the option to come off the plan, but if there are suggestions it would be good to hear.

So If I stay on the plan, and do not want to upgrade, or upgrade to a phone not available on Vodafone what are my best options.

maybe the S8 is a good approach as I get it free and can advertise as New unboxed on Vodafone network?

I know someone who did exactly what you're wanting to do, so it is possible. They sold a Note 8 for €850, but they got it network unlocked beforehand (or at least got the code).

I'm sure you'll have some takers, as there are people like myself who regularly buy flagships outright on release, rather than being tied to a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bliger

The main question to ask here was, Is it still the case that the Phone I get, can be used with any vodafone SIM inc. PAYG?

yes

Or you can get it unlocked without removing from box as you bill pay customer

Advertisement