Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies NOT closed during the storm/snow

Options
  • 02-03-2018 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Am I the only person who works for a company whobhasnt closed yday or today. I work in manufacturing so productivity is a big emphasis. Yday morning I drove into work and the roads were treachourous and decided to leave work at 11 as it was getting worse....which I couldn't make fully home and had to abondan car. Had to ring the company this morning and say I wouldn't be in and he said the company was open. Only about 20% of staff made it in and I'm convinced the reason they don't openly close up is they would have to pay staff their full 2 days. I now loose out on 2 days pay plus 70e the company deducts for not hitting your 40hr week. Is there other negligent companies out there not closing apart from the odd shop or pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

bs2014 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who works for a company whobhasnt closed yday or today. I work in manufacturing so productivity is a big emphasis. Yday morning I drove into work and the roads were treachourous and decided to leave work at 11 as it was getting worse....which I couldn't make fully home and had to abondan car. Had to ring the company this morning and say I wouldn't be in and he said the company was open. Only about 20% of staff made it in and I'm convinced the reason they don't openly close up is they would have to pay staff their full 2 days. I now loose out on 2 days pay plus 70e the company deducts for not hitting your 40hr week. Is there other negligent companies out there not closing apart from the odd shop or pub?

What part of the country are you in? The vast majority seem to have closed but some places genuinely haven't been affected all that much.

Your also right about the reasons he probably has opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Money well spent (if you know what I mean) to confirm what most employers think of their staff.
    Your just a number, an expendable one at that.
    It's not nice but once understand that ,then you can forget about the money aspect and be safe in the knowledge that your boss doesn't give a f**K about you or the other employees.
    Treat your boss in the same way from now on. Do your work earn your money and leave it there. Many employers, like mine are exactly the same.
    Only worried about business but not the numbers who run the business. That's you and i...

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

duffman13 wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in? The vast majority seem to have closed but some places genuinely haven't been affected all that much.

Your also right about the reasons he probably has opened.

County Monaghan....never makes the news but certainly badly hit with snow and ice more so than storm

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Yep.... My company in Offaly was exactly the same, insisting they were open yesterday and today.... some lads left early on weds and i believe the owner was livid.They closed at 1pm yesterday and insisted they were open this morning.
    I spoke to my manager yesterday and told him i wouldn't be in a position to travel, I will take the hit on wages. But I do believe one lad tried to get in this morning but had to turn back because of the roads.
    Production is now behind because of this and I think they will try to bully/cajole every one next week to work overtime to get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

My wife has to go in to work on wed morning and they put their staff up in a hotel for the past two nights. She’s refused to come in today. Now she has to find a way home in this weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

were not closed but was prepared to work from home today as all our customers are in the uk and they arent closed.

but we are in a bit of donegal that is hardly affected and weve had a lot worse days than this this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

bs2014 wrote: »
    County Monaghan....never makes the news but certainly badly hit with snow and ice more so than storm

I’m in Monaghan town. Had to nip out for a half hour last night, roads treacherous. Main roads also. Snowed all day yesterday. Even Topaz on emyvale rd closed, which never closes. No thaw at all. Side roads also a mess. An ambulance crashed in Tydavnet going to an emergency yesterday evening. Nobody moving at all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

A little OT but if your company closed due to the snow or was short staffed because staff couldn’t come in, and neither versions got paid, could an employer make staff work unpaid O/T the following week to make up the extra workload based on an “additional work as necessary” which is in most contracts now?

It would be pretty poor form and almost work out to an employers advantage...

unpaid O/T the following week
    In my case it would be paid overtime but they can go to hell.... I wont be doing any ... sharp practice from the company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This situation is a great way to see your employer for what it is. If your boss expected you to come in yesterday and today, and presuming it isn't the Guards or the hospital, then that's pure greed and bad form. Some people have no lives outside of work and expect their employees to be the same. In that case just look after number 1. If you cant go in then don't go in. You are only a number at the end of the day..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Name and shame.

Might I add it was the same story for storm orphelia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Its illegal to deduct 70€ from your wages if you don't do 40hrs in a week. That's where you need to focus.

As for the rest, while bad form, if the company is open, the company is open unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I dont think it makes a difference whether an employer claims they are open or not. They are not obliged to pay people for sitting at home.

The country went into lock down with the status red alert and most companies took this advice and closed their gates but this doesnt guarantee that employees will be paid for those days unless you work in the public service where the tax payer is picking up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Its illegal to deduct 70€ from your wages if you don't do 40hrs in a week.

Under what law? My guess is that the company would pay a "bonus" of €70 if a 40 hour week is worked - how would it be illegal not to pay it if a full week is not worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Its illegal to deduct 70€ from your wages if you don't do 40hrs in a week. That's where you need to focus.

As for the rest, while bad form, if the company is open, the company is open unfortunately.

It's not illegal to not pay a bonus, if that's how the €70 is set up in the contracts.

Bad form in the circumstance - but not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's not illegal to not pay a bonus, if that's how the €70 is set up in the contracts.

Bad form in the circumstance - but not illegal.

I took it from the OP that they deducted it from wages if they didn't hit 40hrs. which would be an illegal deduction, I would say.

The alternative is the way you look at it, his contract says that his wage is X and if he does 40 hrs he gets X +€70 as a bonus like you say. That wouldn't be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Any Decent company closed to day and most allowed people finish early yesterday. Those that did not at least close to day for the welfare of their people are no better than labour camps.

The bonus I have no real issue with as it's in the contract which say a your pay is x per hour which includes a 1e bonus for hitting a 40hr week....but I do agree the bonus and the inability to get to work could lead to a big financial blow for many

• Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

Unfortunately if the company is open, they don't have to pay you. What's less clear is in cases where the company is closed, are the employees that were scheduled to work entitled to be paid? I'd say most people could live without one days wages but 3/4 days for someone on shift work would be most of their weekly paycheque...

I also took a short walk outside my house (portobello area) late last night and saw a poor girl cashing up inside a certain chain kebab shop around 12:30am, meaning they must've been open until about midnight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

My missus works for a company in Cork and they worked full days 8-5 with no extra pay. They work for a client outside of Ireland so the show had to go on snow or no snow. They work bank holidays and stuff like that. Those that could worked from home, but not many were set up. The company put anyone who was available up in 2 nearby hotels Tues Wed and Thurs nights. They asked earlier in the week if people were prepared to stay in a hotel, with no pressure. Breakfast and dinners paid for. The business park they work in is still too bad to get out of so the company has put them up again tonight in the same hotel and provisionally tomorrow too if the roads are still not good.

I should add those that couldn’t make it in Tues or turned down coming in and staying in the hotels were still paid for the 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My place was down to essential personnel only, everyone was told to work from home and there are only 2 people plus security on site, security and the essential staff who are off shift are put up in a local hotel with security using their 4x4 to ferry people to the hotels and get food in. Pretty good really.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    My missus works for a company in Cork and they worked full days 8-5 with no extra pay. They work for a client outside of Ireland so the show had to go on snow or no snow. They work bank holidays and stuff like that. Those that could worked from home, but not many were set up. The company put anyone who was available up in 2 nearby hotels Tues Wed and Thurs nights. They asked earlier in the week if people were prepared to stay in a hotel, with no pressure. Breakfast and dinners paid for. The business park they work in is still too bad to get out of so the company has put them up again tonight in the same hotel and provisionally tomorrow too if the roads are still not good.

I should add those that couldn’t make it in Tues or turned down coming in and staying in the hotels were still paid for the 2 days

Sounds like a very reasonable company. I think nobody can question people's commitment to go to work and in your case...people are gladly happy to stay overnight for a few nights close to their work rather than go home. Fortunately I only live 2 mile from work but it's 2 dodgy miles. Many live alot further from work and I know nobody was offered to stay in a hotel or bandb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

clevtrev wrote: »
    I dont think it makes a difference whether an employer claims they are open or not. They are not obliged to pay people for sitting at home.

The country went into lock down with the status red alert and most companies took this advice and closed their gates but this doesnt guarantee that employees will be paid for those days unless you work in the public service where the tax payer is picking up the tab.

Who picks up the tab for deaths ?

clevtrev wrote: »

I fully accept this ... My problem was with the employer opening gates and basically putting pressure on people to travel during red alerts, I know I wont be paid and I accept the loss.... but some people did go in on Friday morning and some others attempted to get in, but the roads were blocked with 3 ft of snow. In my case I would consider my car and life/health to be of more value than a day and half pay. I just think it was a scummy move by the employer.

Advertisement