Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha r6 re ring

Options
  • 02-03-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I have bought an r6 2000. its for my girlfriend (and my amature track days - SHHHH)
    it needs a bit a work but thats ok

I Know buggar all and would be grateful for any advice.

I have looked through the forum and there are some great tips ect.

anyway.
    The bike has 30k km
    I did a compression test and got

cylinder 1- dry 92psi wet 110
    cylinder 2- dry 87psi wet 120
    cylinder 3- dry 105psi wet 120
    cylinder 4- dry 115psi wet 130
    These are too low right?

the leakdown test showed approx 30-40% loss and
    no air escaping from exhaust, carbs, water, just through the engine.

I have plenty of time and not a lot of money at the moment and plan to order engine gasket kit and piston rings, open her up and just do the rings (unless something is obvious inside)

Anyone see a problem with this plan, or have any tips
    (I have never done this before but am good at following instructions)

ps where is good to buy these parts

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Don't order anything until you open it up - they can crack between 1&2 -or the plating falls off

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

gctest50 wrote: »
    Don't order anything until you open it up - they can crack between 1&2 -or the plating falls off

Good thinking. i wont

Plating - do you mean there is a plating or shell around the cylinders that could have come loose??

and i presume the crack would be obvious and not need special equipment to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

mufflets2 wrote: »
    Good thinking. i wont

Plating - do you mean there is a plating or shell around the cylinders that could have come loose??

and i presume the crack would be obvious and not need special equipment to find?

The cylinders are electroplated afaik, if this was bad I would imagine you would have to send it off to the UK to get replated. I'd imagine a crack would be obvious enough once you clean it up

Advertisement