Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it just me or is there a crazy lack of vehicles? It seems to be morphing into a 64P Call of Duty.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They've come a long way...

Ha ha, completely forgot about that in BF3

I think there was a bit of it in 4 also...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Isn't this the first implementation of a profanity filter for the game?

Dice cant catch a break.

Possibly but how unfortunate that the words that it has chosen to filter. Each time something comes up for them it drags everything back up.

Anecdotally it could have been an in dev joke because of the backlash to the original trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Calhoun wrote: »
    Possibly but how unfortunate that the words that it has chosen to filter. Each time something comes up for them it drags everything back up.

Anecdotally it could have been an in dev joke because of the backlash to the original trailer.

There was a filter on a few earlier BF titles, but the words where more related to things that were hot topics at the time (anything related to Islam or religion mostly)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    There was a filter on a few earlier BF titles, but the words where more related to things that were hot topics at the time (anything related to Islam or religion mostly)

This isn't a popular time to reintroduce them and as been called out online someone had to program this in.

If i was the dev leads id be finding out who it was and give them a boot up the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Calhoun wrote: »
    This isn't a popular time to reintroduce them and as been called out online someone had to program this in.

If i was the dev leads id be finding out who it was and give them a boot up the arse.

Given that its in testing I reckon they threw in loads of inoffensive words so that they could test it without having to tell their play testers to type in all the actually offensive words. If its able to distinguish context like 'dlc' but not 'free dlc' then its quite an advanced system that probably needs lots of testing

Akrasia wrote: »
    Given that its in testing I reckon they threw in loads of inoffensive words so that they could test it without having to tell their play testers to type in all the actually offensive words. If its able to distinguish context like 'dlc' but not 'free dlc' then its quite an advanced system that probably needs lots of testing

Yah but considering all the initial drama over the video and the developers calling players racist and sexist, it's not a popular time for it to come out.

How is it that any form of man or woman but white man is not censored, straight away it gets linked back to political agendas been pushed in the game.

All unwanted noise at this time.

Played one last session before going to bed and honestly there was a moment there that felt genuinely fun and it involved a lot of the new features.

Playing assault trying out the carbine, capped a far point with a support player who kept chucking me ammo whenever I needed it, the house we were both in came under heavy fire we both get quite hurt. No regenerating health so both of us taking it slow moving around the house. I slip down and find that I can build a medical station just outside the house so I slip around the back dash out and build it healing myself and grabbing an extra medpack. I get back in the house and mime my squadmate towards the med station pinging it with Q and leading him to it. He see's it but just as he steps out comes under heavy fire and ducks back in. He's in the red now and here I am trying to cover him from the second floor. I kill 2 of the attackers and he is able to jump the 3rd and get to the medbay.

He heals up and we move south, setting him up in nice overwatch positions while I cover his back, I revive him a few times when he gets gunned down and it's feeling like the game is finally coming together. This is what BFV wants to be, squads being this tight.

Then I go down

and he deosnt revive me, he is 1 metre away from me behind a mound and I'm behind the same mound but he doesnt see me, he's too focused on his own positioning. I type in chat, no response and I slowly bleed out, I respawn on him and he's just marching on throwing out ammo pouches to anyone passing by.

I then realise aside from chucking me ammo he didnt actually do anything team related and I just fluttered around him like a helpful pet and thats going to be this games biggest problem, it works when people are trying to be team players but a lot of players have the team play of prior BF games being simply spamming the resupply, heal and spot buttons and dont seem to realise they need to do more in BFV, they need to be aware of their squadmates and work together.

And that depresses me. There is potential in the game, but you got to change up how you play BF and it looks like not even prominent BF players are willing to do that.

On a side note I've tried both the churchill crocodile and JadgTiger now. Both fairly cool and you can with squadmates do a lot of damage with them if you got teammates in the other positions so you can use the full weapon load.

Sadly the spawn mechanics for them is stupid, you call it in and then need to wait for yourself or a squadmate to die and spawn it.

But it doesnt look like it's restricted by tanks currently spawned so you could in theory have 3-4 squads spawning them at the same time and massively overrun the opposing team.

In the end I lost my last game tonight with the final score being 0 - 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This game is quite different to BF1 in many ways and the game isn't even out yet, for all you know that could have been his first few rounds. It's gonna take people some time to learn how to play properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Played quite a few hours over the week/end and enjoyed a lot of it.
    Fecking hate the respawn. OK. I'll wait ten seconds in the hope someone gets me. Nope.. OK now i have to wait another 9 seconds. pffft!.

Saying that though I'm going to wait till the full game is out. They've promised us massive Tank battles and no one has a clue how the BR mode will run.

Was it 3 or 4 (thinking 3) that they released metro in the beta and it was Awful! and I mean awful yet the full game was great. This was after all a Beta test, not a full game release.

• Advertisement

True but of all the times to impress now is that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Im sad the beta is finished, was just getting to grips with it last night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Given how buggy and incomplete this one was, and with loads of promised changes before release, I'd expect a second round of beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gave this a whirl over the weekend, and it definitely has some pros and cons. The biggest issue at the moment, as many have stated, is the die/respawn system. It takes too long, way too long. There should be an option to just die instantly if you wanted, instead of waiting to die, or holding out for someone to save you, which happened once in the 8 or so hours i've played. People standing beside you won't help you. But is it only squad mates that can help? I dunno. Wasn't very clear.

But, the pros do outweigh it at the moment. A great addition is the blowback feature. I didn't experience it is any of the previous BF games, but a few times I was right beside a building when it was blown up, and I got thrown away and ended up on my back with slightly blurring vision focusing on the building blowing up. Really added to it imo. The guns feel great, even though I'm sick of WW era guns at this stage. As many have said, just make another modern one. That's where BF shines imo.

Anyway, won't be getting it on launch, but will definitely pick it up at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Didn't like it overall. Its the first BF game i've played since BF3, didn't love that either. I just want another BC2, these arcadey COD games don't do it for me in my old age

Yeah I did enjoy one of the few matches where I was squaded up with actual friends over TS, someone called a V1 on the building we were in and I was just lucky to be on the other side of it to where the bomb hit, I got blown back and stumbled around, everyone else died, but there was something really atmospheric stumbling out the other side of the building with blurry vision knowing I was the only survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

KilOit wrote: »
    Didn't like it overall. Its the first BF game i've played since BF3, didn't love that either. I just want another BC2, these arcadey COD games don't do it for me in my old age

Em, BC2 was more 'arcadey' than BF2, 3 or 4.

It was a great game because they got the balance of fun and skill just right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's actually the reason I never liked BC2 actually, though it was too COD/arcade-like compared to the staple series! Still good, just wasn't my particular cup of scald.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Akrasia wrote: »
    Em, BC2 was more 'arcadey' than BF2, 3 or 4.

It was a great game because they got the balance of fun and skill just right

I wouldnt necessarily agree BC2 was more arcadey than 3 or 4.
    I would argue the gunplay is a lot less arcadey, play with the M1 Garand for example and experience proper recoil not some graphical representation of recoil we see in a lot of games today.

BC2 awesome game probably my favourite of all and ive played them all since BF1942.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Dcully wrote: »
    BC2 awesome game probably my favourite of all and ive played them all since BF1942.

do you not find the maps are to cramped?

I mean they still have a huge map but all the points are squished within spitting distance, I like that they slowed the game down in BFV but I still wish the points where further apart like the classic BF games (pre Bad Company & BF3)

also would love if they bring back spawning vehicles like in BF2

• Advertisement

Yes for a the pure BF experience i do feel the maps are on the smaller side, actually bigger than both maps ive played in BFV.
    Speaking of BC2 i hated the dorito shooting that is spotting in BC2, thats one thing BFV has got spot on.

I wouldnt necessarily agree BC2 was more arcadey than 3 or 4.
    I would argue the gunplay is a lot less arcadey, play with the M1 Garand for example and experience proper recoil not some graphical representation of recoil we see in a lot of games today.

The Garand was only available if you had bought BF1943 I thought? Or was it just given out on pc?

I think what worked so well for BC2 was 2 things.

1. They banked very heavily into Rush, it was the chief game mode of BC2 and a lot of attention was put into the design of the stages of rush in every map. BF3 in contrast had 2-3 maps that felt like they were designed for rush and 2-3 that felt like they were designed for conquest and they were pretty poor maps in reverse for both modes. There is a reason why operation metro was the spammiest mess in conquest. Every BF following 3 were even worse as it felt like little thought was put into the rush versions of maps on 4 and 1.

2. BFBC2 was limited by it's genuine console origins (it is a sequel to a console exclusive) so it was probably the most infantry focused BF had ever been at that point, vehicles were powerful but small in number usually being a vocal point of a lot of battles and while aircraft have increasingly felt like they have nothing to do with each entry of BF since (feeling pointless in Bf5) in BC2 with just helicopters and really only 1 attack helicopter per side it genuinely felt like everything was involved in the push for each point (again Rush being focus really sold this mix)

BF3 still holds a fondness for me that even BC2 cant match as to me it felt like the best of the pre-BC2 battlefields and the BC2 design. It had it's failings in that to really get the most of it you really needed a server that jumped between rush and conquest depending on the map, but it brought enough of the larger playstyle of 2 and 2142 back but also streamlined a lot of elements to suit what clearly worked in BC2.

BF4 tried to bring too many parts from pre-BC2 back (commander etc) and it just feels bloated.

The Garand was only available if you had bought BF1943 I thought? Or was it just given out on pc?

It was some veterans reward for owning previous titles in the series i believe.the tommy gun was also in there.
    I agree BC2 was basically rush mode.

BF3 is also a big favourite of mine, my only complaint was that awful blue tint they had on everything.
    Everything since was a downgrade imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Srsly the console fans with their love for BC2 as a BF game is mad.

It was Dice going console that nerfed BF right there and then.

The simple problem with BF IMO was catering to the console crowd from BC1 onwards, regen health, hide if you get shot you can use auto aim on his face next time.......

The entire point of BF imo is holding points and if you die you are punished (timer), the game lost its soul when it catered for console players. I agree financially it was the way forward.

But here we are and seemingly console players want depth from a game but also want fast action, i would increase the death timer in BFV make the players understand being alive and holding a point is more important than a KD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Battlefield: Hipster Edition?

I am actually replaying all the BF games I can to get some perspective. So far I've played a few games of BF1, BF2 and BC2. Just re-installed 3 and will try that tonight hopefully.

I tired BF1 2 nights ago and really what struck me most was just how constantly I was just on the move going to point to point to point circling the map. Really contrasted to the beta.

I tried BF2 last night and I got to say anyone who complained about grenade spam in BF3/BF4...holy f*ck you've got it easy. I joined a Karkand map and at the beginning of the round the americans were just constantly lobbing long range grenades from their spawn into the first point. It was ridiculous.

Also claymores were a lot more dangerous in BF2 then any other one I've played.

Aside from that there was a near constant spam of spotting coms etc, genuinely began to piss me off constantly hearing "Enemy spotted" especially when I was playing for the MEC and it was in arabic.

But the maps felt more open and the gunplay much more demanding with a greater demand on stopping and shooting, gun and run was very ineffective. Also going into games on your own was very swingy sometimes it was chaotic but good fun, other times the team was a mess and the match was a slog of being constantly killed by helicopters etc just coming out of the spawn.

It's still good but there is clearly a rose tint over some memories and going back on your own can be a frustrating experience.

I then jumped over to BC2 and yeah, you really notice how striped back it is compared to both 2 and 1 but also how much it benefits from this strip back. It is compared to other BF games laser focused. The menus are a bit crap but it's really carried by how much the maps are shaped for the mode you are playing.

It also helped that I joined a server with some insane multiplier on point gain so I went from level 1 - 46 over 2-3 games and unlocked every weapon gadget and perk.

But BC2 is a very tight game the options the player have are more limited, but the gameplay loop of those limited choices is really strong.

Criticism is really just how stripped back it is. I only played Rush but will try and play conquest soon but it really did have a meat grinder sense to it.

It's night and day compared to BF2.

It's interesting going back to these games now.

I plane to do BF3, BF4 and BF2142 over the next week. I might do a video in the end to sum up my feelings of each game.

1942 might be a bit hard as I dont know if there is a player supported server system like BF2 and 2142 out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I can't for the life of me work out why it's set in WW2. Clearly DICE didn't want to go down this route. Wouldn't be surprised if the DLC features jet fighters, nuclear strikes and helicopters (and they could argue therough their arses that all these things technically existed during WW2).

Gameplay side, it just totally ruins immersion, and I think that's probably important if you're playing a historical setting.

From a gameplay point of view, DICE doesn't seem to have known how to make Rush maps for a while, so have just flat out abandoned it for this game. I think BF is a poor choice for Battle Royale mode, and I don't like the sci-fi Fortnite style base building on offer.

Hate to say it but I think I'll give it a miss.

Tonight I tried BF3, Bf 2142 and BF 1942

BF3 still holds a soft part in my heart and I can see why jumping into games, it's quicker tighter and more fluid then BC2 so it just feels like an evolution of what started there, but it also brings in a lot more elements from the classic BF series so it doesnt feel as restrained as BC2.

But if you are jumping into other BF titles it really is shocking how much quicker BF3 is in every manner when you go into it from even BC2. Especially if you get an infantry focused map.

Grenade spam is there but its not as insane as I remember (to be fair didnt play metro) but the biggest issue I got reminded of quickly was how ****ty it is to spawn on a squadmate in BF3, it is easily the most frustrating element that I forgot about. Just spawning and instant dying cause it wasnt clear that your squadmate was under attack. Aside from that in terms of maps I forgot how much fun some of them are (had great craic on Damavad Peak rush) and just how easy it is to pick up and playm how even though it's 7 years old at this point it's still visually very impressive and going back on hardware that can run it at 100 frames on ultra even when in multiplayer is satisfying as hell.

One other thing I still like about BF3...Battlelog, I know other people had issues with it but goddamn when it is working it is the most comfortable and easiest server browser out there. Reminds me of classic gamespy (not gamespy arcade) where it's just simple with lots of options. I like how much I can specify my searches or expand them by mode, country etc. Shame there seemed to be only 15 or so active servers with players on them.

Moving on quickly on 2142, took a bit of wrangling to get it working and sadly could only find 2 servers with less then 5 people on each, but lots of bots. This is actually the game that introduced the 4 class system we know today with classes doubling up, it's chock full of upgrades etc so it's this strange game that has a lot of the elements that would later show up in BC2 but it plays like BF2.

Then 1942, I wish I could talk about this after all the wrangling to get it working in 1080 and being able to find servers but I cant. For some ****ty reason I kept being kicked out of every server I joined, (not crashed, kicked). So I'll come back to this later if I can figure out why admins keep kicking me. But I saw a few little details that have been dropped from the franchise that I miss. A simple one being it actually tells you how many of your current team is of each class in the spawn screen.

I've decided to spend next week after work recording a chunk of footage from each game (got all the main titles except Vietnam and Hardline installed) and doing something highlighting how much the series has changed.

So BF3 is the winner overall :)
    Id have to go with that too as a complete BF package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So BF3 is the winner overall :)
    Id have to go with that too as a complete BF package.

hell no.
    ****ty planes, no proper joystick support at launch.- Anyone that played the fighter jets before the release date had a massive advantage over anyone on launch day due to the fact that they had unlocked the 30mm cannon while the rest of us had to make do with the 25mm cannon and you had more chance of knocking a plane out of the sky with your pecker in your hands than you did with that cannon. They had to reduce the points a few weeks later to balance it out.
    Operation Metro = grenade fest.
    Snipers- Yes people hate snipers..tough..if you get shot by a sniper deal with it or else try and take them out..but scope glint? **** u dice.
    M16A3- by far the most op gun in the game..as Mick will testify if he's still on here..that ****er was lethal with it.

On the other hand It did have the most awesome rush map ever...Damavand valley where you had to parachute off the dam after the first points were capture. I loved just grabbing the chopper and letting it just fall off the end and pull up right at the last moment listening to my teammates cursing me for doing it.
    And Seine Valley..another fantastic city map.
    So out of BF3/BF4/BF1 I'd declare 3 the winner.
    But BF2- damn I loved that game...as a fighter pilot I just owned the skies and same for sniper which I loved playing too..Probably makes me biased towards it alright.

Ideally I'd love a more modern game again with Damavand Valley, Seine Valley, Sharqi Peninsula, Wake Island, Mashtur City, Dragon Valley in it.
    There's one or two BC2 maps I wouldn't mind in there either.

Advertisement