Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I didn't realise it was playable this morning when I started the preload. Went off to get the car NCT'd and came home and the play button was available.
    WOW. what a beautiful game. Have a 4790k and a GTX 1070 and it stuck everything to ULTRA and high fidelity and OMFG!

Played the story mission for an hour or two and then copped myself on and played multiplayer.
    The maps are huge! Tanks everywhere.
    God I wish I had recording software. Some of the action was just plain crazy.
    Only played 2 maps ,The Twisted steel(bridge) and Yellow fields.
    The Bridge map is just awesome. Tanks, planes destruction.. wow.
    Yellow Fields when it first loaded up i thought.. Meh! but after half an hour of house to house and open field fights I was blown away.. Usually by a tank.
    Did I mention there's lots of tanks. :D
    Can't wait to finish work and play this non stop for the weekend.
    I only played 1 game mode too so can't wait to try the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just playing a few games before bed. Playing that Twisted Steel map on Xbox One X on 4K TV. What a beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

played a small bit of multiplayer. Def feels like a step up from the beta, sadly I couldnt get a full active game. But the one I played on twisted metal that was 8 vs 8 was still great. Working down the bridge as a squad was really exciting and intense.

I will admit though I did **** around with the customization a lot prior to starting I was suprised at the amount of custom uniforms they had on offer. Origin premier players got to pick six of them for free so I have quite a few options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Delighted with this! - Got a kick out of the Prologue then straight into a grand operation which went on forever on Twisted Steel and Arras, then a bit of Devastation! The sound is spectacular...this is going to take many many hours of my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Remember to set sound to War Tapes, its amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi all,

I bought this on cdkeys a while back. I'm not a member of origin access or whatever it's called.

Should I still see this for preload even though I can't play yet?

I redeemed the code before to get access to the beta.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

squawker wrote: »
    arrghhh BF5 release and Tarkov wipe on the same day

What to do?

I uninstalled Tarkov, it never warranted the money I spent on it, replaced with the BF5 pre-load.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought this on cdkeys a while back. I'm not a member of origin access or whatever it's called.

Should I still see this for preload even though I can't play yet?

I redeemed the code before to get access to the beta.

Thanks

Then it should unlock on November 14th at 2300 UTC. You can check the date on your Origin entry for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Spear wrote: »
    Then it should unlock on November 14th at 2300 UTC. You can check the date on your Origin entry for the game.

Cool,

I wonder if I paid for one months origin access, would I get it now?

I'd get the free 10 hours anyways I guess :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Cool,

I wonder if I paid for one months origin access, would I get it now?

I'd get the free 10 hours anyways I guess :)

Access basic gets you the 10 hours, premier gets full access now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Game is great so far, soo much better than the beta, all those niggling issues from the beta seem resolved too.
    Odd little bug here and there but nothing major.

Trying to decide whether to run ultra or this new max fidelity preset they have, they both look and play almost identical but kinda odd the high fidelity preset has vsync lokced on which is not what i want with gsync monitor, having said that i read recently some game engines like running vsync in tandem with gsync.

Watching the young lad play it on console @ so called 4k it looks ok but 1440 on pc ultra 144hz looks so much better its night and day difference and 10x smoother ofcourse but you have to wonder about this 4k marketing jargon they go on about with ps4pro and xboneX, ofcourse they upscale but its nowhere near real 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Imagine how different the last few months would have been if that was the reveal trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Imagine how different the last few months would have been if that was the reveal trailer.

I personally know a few people who would have pre-purchased it if that had been the reveal trailer. That music my god, so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

lesson learned I hope, make a steampunk alternative history WW2 game by all means

but don't try to shove it down your prospective customers throats on one hand by calling them sexist racists

and on the other advertise the game as a "Realistic" depiction of WW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That is a good trailer and it looks and feels like a real Battlefield title - the whole fiasco with the initial reveal campaign and it's wacky Fortnite inspired pandering has really hurt the BF franchise at a time when it was gathering major steam. I'm sure this game will still be incredibly successful obviously, but a bit like Battlefront 2 and its lootbox scandal, the game will not perform as well as it could have.....and the higher powers most definitely take note of these things.

Tempted now to pick it up. I need something new other than just bloody Overwatch, which is not exactly taxing my system either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That is a good trailer and it looks and feels like a real Battlefield title - the whole fiasco with the initial reveal campaign and it's wacky Fortnite inspired pandering has really hurt the BF franchise at a time when it was gathering major steam. I'm sure this game will still be incredibly successful obviously, but a bit like Battlefront 2 and its lootbox scandal, the game will not perform as well as it could have.....and the higher powers most definitely take note of these things.

Tempted now to pick it up. I need something new other than just bloody Overwatch, which is not exactly taxing my system either.

Gets you BFV deluxe and you can always cancel it after a month if you don't like BFV.

it runs like ass in directx 12 for me I think.

I was running with whatever defaults DICE threw me when I launched and was getting a steady 60.

Decided to mess around with graphics and turned on directx 12 and my framerate went to ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I uninstalled Tarkov, it never warranted the money I spent on it

want to sell your account?

€20 in BtC waiting for you

correction to earlier post.

I dont think it's directx 12 that makes it run like arse but the new nividia patch. Distinct difference in performance when I played on the first night with default settings and when I played yesterday. Felt like I lost about 20 frames in performance.

And so I continue to sit and wait, unable to play the game I've already paid for (and EA did confirm taking the payment). BFV is final and accessible to the public, but not for those who actually bought the game. I was always cynical of EA subscription service. As a long term gamer of nigh on 30 years, I'll never opt for the idea of paying for a game but not owning it. If EA are pushing Access so much then it's not out of kindness, it's because they can gouge customers on a consistent basis, and don't need to rely upon games selling because they're any good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played this for 4 hours straight lasdtnight :eek: something i havent done in years.
    DICE really return to form with this.

Ok some further thoughts in after about 9 hours of play.

Some things carry over from the beta. Woah is on you who tries to solo in this game. This game needs you to be part of a squad and you better hope they are either competent or at least people you know otherwise expect to be P*ssed at randoms. Previous battlefields did too but this one just demands it more.

I saw a lot of comments saying all classes are useful and I'm going to call bull****. 3 classes are useful. 1 is useless. It's also probably the most popular. Snipers remain worthless in this. At least for now. Perhaps losing constantly will finally drive people to start playing right, but a squad with 2 assault 1 medic 1 support will do so much more then any other squad with 1 sniper. Also squad lead being sniper is sad times. I like to snipe but I havnt in this game at all so far because it's so bloody apparent how useless the role is in playing the objective at the moment.

Continuing on the useless things, aircraft, again useless, they just do not do enough damage to warrant giving up boots on the ground. I'm pretty sure you'll lose the mountain map if you spawn more aircraft then your opponents. It's better to just have 1 player going in a fighter and leave the bombers at home.

Weapons...the MMG is such a gamble of a weapon class but it can be worth it. You basically cannot fire when not prone so when on the move you are near useless, but playing defence these guns like the MG34 are beasts. It's the gun I've leveled up the most so far because it's easily the most satisfying LMG gameplay since BF3. Sadly the tripod continues to be finicky as f*ck. Best keep this for maps like Hamada or Broken Steel where you can play defence and get some range. I've counter sniped with the MG34 a few times. It can work on smaller maps but I think it's really only devestation it works on. Dont bring it to the mountain range map, it'lll die a horrible death there. I still love the Gewhr from the beta but its hard to keep things at range. I hate hate hate the 2nd medic weapon.

Fortifications are fun but again stuck waiting for the player base to catch up and put them to use. They are a double edge sword, if you dont intend to defend a point and an enemy flanks around and caps it behind you, suddenly you are attacking a position you fortified.

On maps broken steel and Annes are probably my current favourites. But I've only got to play devestation once and it was amazing, aerodrome is good if your team doesnt crap the bed. In the grand operations though the maps are bit more iffy, they really come into their own in conquest though. I still like Narvick and rotterdam though, broken steel was fine in grand operations but players on the allied side kept quitting on hamada everytime we got it. If I was to pick worse it might be the mountain map, but not by a large margin. It's still fun, but you got to strip your gear for mobility on that map, MMGs etc just dont work.

Overall I'm having fun, I like the maps and it feels like a true return to form for conquest. I really need some squadmates though, the 2 I played the beta with are waiting til the full release.

It's a good battlefield, but it really comes to the player base to see if it has legs. If they dont embrace the changes and keep trying to play it like BF1 it will die in a few months.

Snipers are extremely useful...if they get out their spotting scopes, spot the enemies etc and provide cover fire for when taking a flag.
    If they're just sitting there camping like most of the noobs do then they're a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Concerning comments about what the game requires regarding team work.

If the community doesn't pick it up, it to could be abandoned or changed to be more like BF1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Blazer wrote: »
    Snipers are extremely useful...if they get out their spotting scopes, spot the enemies etc and provide cover fire for when taking a flag.
    If they're just sitting there camping like most of the noobs do then they're a waste of space.

Used spotting scope for assignment and its crazy good, great for points and helping the team

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Installing this tonight and will give it a go tomorrow. Been years since i gave a BF game a proper go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Playing this on ultra settings and was having difficulty being able to pick out enemy so I turned off most of the settings under the basic tab, film grain, lens flare, vignette, chromatic aberration and motion blur to 0.
    The game now looks even better imo and my kill count has increased

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had a few good games there tonight. I'm pretty bad at it, but occasionally get a good run going. Game looks absolutely fantastic, and runs really well (bar some major stuttering at the very start of the game and when i load into a new map).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I have to say, the performance is what has surprised me the most. I'm playing on a ~4 year old machine at this stage, GTX970 vintage with a decent i5 for its time; and it looks and plays really well.

I had been on a PUBG binge for a while and returning to well put together games is refreshing.

The only thing I found immediately jarring about the game was everyone having the same weapons - I bailed out of my German aircraft and landed with a Sten for example. I suspect this wasn't jarring in BF1 because so many weapons were makey uppey, but call me an old fashioned BF1942 man I like my German assault to be running around with an MP40. But hey, you can repair your aircraft midair by holding down X so lets not get too picky! :D

It's great to see old fashioned conquest and I really prefer the move away from behemoths and back to what seems like a good spawn rate of good old fashioned vehicles and tanks. Again being a BF1942 raised child, I'm not sure how I feel about progression within vehicles etc, such that I can get a faster swiveling tank or whatever vs someone else, but that's the era we live in.

I really like the varied operations - different game modes mixed into each of the map series makes for an engaging play.

All in all a thumbs up for now.

• Advertisement

It looks pretty and runs well on my pc but I just can't get into it.
    It just feels boring as hell. Its more like I'm peering in a window watching a guy playing battlefield not like I'm actually in the thick of it myself.
    Could be just some of the maps maybe.
    BF2/2142 and BC2 are still the gold standard and will be for ever I think...at least until we all get holodecks.

Advertisement