Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I still have ea access until January so decided to try it. After 2h I uninstalled it.

I dont know if it BFs problem or just me not enjoying such tipe of stuff anymore. I still think that BF series peaked with BC2. The sound and the feel of it was just right. Thing is I played it last year again and it was not just pink glasses effect. Core gameplay was still better then any Battlefield that came after it.

Not going to buy it now for sure, but if it drops in price, I will. Something tells me it will be down on price very fast. Maybe not as fast as Battlefront 2.

I can't even say anything particular negative about it, its weird. Its just I did not enjoyed playing it at all. I might got used to way longer times to kill in Fortnite, and in this it feels like you die so fast and dont even habe enough time to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

They have essentially been giving it away with EA crap they are selling id say it will be low soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just installed this now. Quite impressed so far with the single player.
    Thought my old rig would struggle with it (Phenom 2 x6 @ 3.7ghz / r9 270x) but Im getting a solid 60 @1080p on high setting.Looks good enough for me to not do a new build!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

The new revival animation is really annoying me, I've lost count of the times I've been in cover and because I go to revive a teamplayer it puts me completely out in the open and I get shot. It also takes way too long even as a medic, they need to sort that out because medic is fairly worthless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

BeerFarts wrote: »
    The new revival animation is really annoying me, I've lost count of the times I've been in cover and because I go to revive a teamplayer it puts me completely out in the open and I get shot. It also takes way too long even as a medic, they need to sort that out because medic is fairly worthless at the moment.
    Have they not added the mechanic/animation for pulling an ally into cover yet? They said they were going to. When it's in the game you'll be able to drag a downed ally to some cover where you can then begin the revival.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have they not added the mechanic/animation for pulling an ally into cover yet? They said they were going to. When it's in the game you'll be able to drag a downed ally to some cover where you can then begin the revival.

No, that's coming later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Spear wrote: »
    No, that's coming later.
    Thats a shame. I thought when they delayed the launch this would make it into the launch window.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

BeerFarts wrote: »

What your seeing now is twice as fast to revive with both medic and non medic as it was in the beta`s.
    They have already put work into changing it and speeding it up but its not enough imo, i agree with you it needs more attention.

My other major issue during all beta stages is the attrition system and thankfully its so much better now and actually a decent system now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Ok some further thoughts in after about 9 hours of play.

Some things carry over from the beta. Woah is on you who tries to solo in this game. This game needs you to be part of a squad and you better hope they are either competent or at least people you know otherwise expect to be P*ssed at randoms. Previous battlefields did too but this one just demands it more.

I saw a lot of comments saying all classes are useful and I'm going to call bull****. 3 classes are useful. 1 is useless. It's also probably the most popular. Snipers remain worthless in this. At least for now. Perhaps losing constantly will finally drive people to start playing right, but a squad with 2 assault 1 medic 1 support will do so much more then any other squad with 1 sniper. Also squad lead being sniper is sad times. I like to snipe but I havnt in this game at all so far because it's so bloody apparent how useless the role is in playing the objective at the moment.

Continuing on the useless things, aircraft, again useless, they just do not do enough damage to warrant giving up boots on the ground. I'm pretty sure you'll lose the mountain map if you spawn more aircraft then your opponents. It's better to just have 1 player going in a fighter and leave the bombers at home.

Aircraft are actually really overpowered in this. The bombers anyway. They are really difficult to take down, AA guns only tickle them. They have an option to either increase armour or their payload but because they are extremely resilient without the armour upgrade everyone picks the extra payload.

And their damage output is ridiculous, there's a video on reddit showing a bomber killing 16 people in a single pass.

There's numerous other videos with bombers killing up to 10 people in one bombing pass and bombers going on 100+ killstreaks.

I thought they would have learned their lesson from BF1 but no, they've made bombers even worse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9wfxwc/this_is_why_dice_really_need_to_change_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9w4y3h/38_bombs_on_the_maxed_out_ju88_is_nuts/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You need a good pilot with cannons equipped...different story then :)
    Some german lad took great offense at me shooting down his bomber time and time again wishing "i got aids" lol
    At least it wasn't cancer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

They don't even have the M1 Garand in the game yet. That's a big disappointment for a WW2 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Aircraft are actually really overpowered in this. The bombers anyway. They are really difficult to take down, AA guns only tickle them. They have an option to either increase armour or their payload but because they are extremely resilient without the armour upgrade everyone picks the extra payload.

And their damage output is ridiculous, there's a video on reddit showing a bomber killing 16 people in a single pass.

There's numerous other videos with bombers killing up to 10 people in one bombing pass and bombers going on 100+ killstreaks.

I thought they would have learned their lesson from BF1 but no, they've made bombers even worse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9wfxwc/this_is_why_dice_really_need_to_change_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9w4y3h/38_bombs_on_the_maxed_out_ju88_is_nuts/

Well to be fair the first one is because of the auto spawn where everyone is frozen in place and the planes get to spawn early as well and fly right over (that'll definitely be fixed soon I'd say)!

I'm loving flying at the moment, I think I feel somewhat competent at this stage, or else just playing against people who've never played BF in their lives! Only been harassed by one or two pros.

I like the ferocity of the guns in this compared to BF1. The sound is incredible.

They don't even have the M1 Garand in the game yet. That's a big disappointment for a WW2 game.

Yes, but the Americans aren't in the game yet. It'll come in time, and it won't be paid DLC. Patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Shlippery wrote: »
    Well to be fair the first one is because of the auto spawn where everyone is frozen in place and the planes get to spawn early as well and fly right over (that'll definitely be fixed soon I'd say)!

I'm loving flying at the moment, I think I feel somewhat competent at this stage, or else just playing against people who've never played BF in their lives! Only been harassed by one or two pros.

I like the ferocity of the guns in this compared to BF1. The sound is incredible.

Yes, but the Americans aren't in the game yet. It'll come in time, and it won't be paid DLC. Patience!

It's a fairly big oversight so I'd say it will get fixed soon enough. But both clips show that the bombs are too powerful. Plus AA guns and vehicles can't harm them while you're a sitting duck shooting at planes in an AA gun.

Overall though I'm really enjoying it, it's a return to form. I can see it being lauded as the best Battlefield when the bug fixes, balancing and extra content is rolled out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Grand Operations is pretty fun.

But also buggy. We got to the stage where we had to plant bombs on some cannons (phase 3 on defence), but it was bugged out and wouldn't let us plant. In the meantime, bombers just kept flying overhead and getting loads of kills every time while we tried to figure out what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Despite racking up kills they appear to be having near 0 effect on the match.

Had a grand operations match yesterday and there was this amazing pilot on the enemy team who was bombing our defenses to hell and constantly getting his bombs spot on to little mobs of teams.

But that didnt stop us from crushing his team and winning.

Which is similar to my issue with snipers. I've been sniped a lot but I've seen very few snipers actually turn the state of battle, while I've seen plenty of players going medic or assault and be that extra important body to push us over the line.

the tommy gun is there though.

Cause the British actually used the tommy gun while they didnt like the garand at all.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Despite racking up kills they appear to be having near 0 effect on the match.

Had a grand operations match yesterday and there was this amazing pilot on the enemy team who was bombing our defenses to hell and constantly getting his bombs spot on to little mobs of teams.

But that didnt stop us from crushing his team and winning.

Which is similar to my issue with snipers. I've been sniped a lot but I've seen very few snipers actually turn the state of battle, while I've seen plenty of players going medic or assault and be that extra important body to push us over the line.
    A decent medic, who heals and revives, will make the difference.

Support and sniper is meh.

awec wrote: »
    A decent medic, who heals and revives, will make the difference.

Support and sniper is meh.

Go Recon and whip out the spotting scope. It's incredibly useful and the team will love you for it. Spotting scope is more fnu than actually sniping. (If there's a big attack on an objective, whip out the scope from afar and light up the enemies for your tieam)

Support is great for fortifications and raining death with the mmgs!

Bombers are seriously OP in this. You can hit one 10 times with an anti-aircraft gun and it still doesn't go down.

From Dan Mitre on reddit ;
    On Wednesday, November 14th, 2018, we will be releasing an update for Battlefield V for all platforms for the release of Battlefield V Deluxe Edition. While this update has no downtime, if you are in-game when the update is deployed, you will need to finish your match and then restart your client to apply the update.

The update will be available for the following platforms at the following times:

PC - Update will be rolling out to PC players starting on Nov 14th at 900 UTC / 1:00AM PST.
    Xbox One - Update will be rolling out to Xbox One players starting on Nov 14th at 1000 UTC / 2:00AM PST.
    PS4 - Update will be rolling out to PS4 players starting at 1100 UTC/ 3:00AM PST.
    The update will be the following sizes:

PC: 26.2387GB
    XB1: 21.0145GB
    PS4: 15.0141GB
    Battlefield V will start rolling out to Deluxe Edition players on Wednesday, November 14th, at 1100 UTC / 3:00AM PST through November 15, 6AM UTC / 10PM PDT November 14th.

Nice hefty patch

- new figures just in-
    Sorry! We had the wrong figures. Just updated.

PC: 1.56GB
    XB1: 530MB
    PS4: 350MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The other interesting thing about bombers is you can switch instantly to the rear turret. Got a fighter on your tail? Switch immediately, no movement animation as with other vehicles; and start blasting away at him. If you're not too low or you've angled the planes nose up, you have plenty of time to chip away at him.

That said I'm still thinking this is the most fun I've had in Battlefield in a long time. Wish they'd remake a few BF1942 maps for old times sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dcully wrote: »
    What your seeing now is twice as fast to revive with both medic and non medic as it was in the beta`s.
    They have already put work into changing it and speeding it up but its not enough imo, i agree with you it needs more attention.

My other major issue during all beta stages is the attrition system and thankfully its so much better now and actually a decent system now.

The decision on whether or not to revive has always been a part of playing medic. If someone is bleeding out in the open where there are enemies around, you should either kill the enemies first, or lay down a smoke grenade before you begin reviving

Other players need to learn when to call for a revive and when to bleed out. If they can see they're being covered by an enemy, they should bleed out rather than put their team mate into harms way.

The revive mechanic in this game is much better balanced than in the Beta and in previous games. Medics can spot players to tell them to hang on, this gives them time to clear the area. If the medic dies or forget about them, the downed player can get back into the action with minimal delay compared to just bleeding straight out.

Good pilots can do incredible amounts of damage. Most pilots are awful though

I think Dice need to change the kill attribution for planes. If you're shooting a plane and it crashes, you hardly ever get credit for the kill. If a plane is being damaged and being suppressed while it crashes, the suppressing player should get a kill.

awec wrote: »
    Bombers are seriously OP in this. You can hit one 10 times with an anti-aircraft gun and it still doesn't go down.

Yeah, but fighters can take them out pretty quickly.

I think fighters like the spitfire and BF109 are rubbish against ground targets but strong against air targets in order to balance out the air ground combat mechanic. If there's a bomber destroying your team, you need to get some fighters in the air to shoot them down.

The plane combat in this game is brilliant. Much better than in BF1 or even BF4

Twisted steel is an awesome map for fighter battles. I was playing last night and several times I couldn't shake the fighter from my tail so I had to use the bridge by either flying under it, or between the cables holding up the suspension bridge. It's so satisfying to squeeze your fighter through this gap to look behind you and see your attacker smash into the bridge or even better, if they manage to squeeze through as well and keep attacking.

It's also incredible as an infantry player to have these low altitude air battles going on right over your head as you're trying to capture a choke point.

I love the way this game plays. As others have said, the sniper scope is really useful for your team as it can really help them push an objective or take out an advancing army. The attrition system isn't that noticeable if you're not camping. It makes vehicle gameplay more strategic. You can't just sit on a hill and rain down shells like you could before.

There are a few bugs and glitches which are a bit annoying. The bipod doesn't deploy well for the MMGs (as has been said before) It's very annoying when you're trying to set up a defensive position and your bipod keeps falling off.

In the Grand operations, there are lots of bugs with the explosives either not spawning, or spawning in a place where they can't be picked up. I had a game which got stuck in limbo where there were no attacking tickets left but the game just kept going. I had to restart a few times when my soldier got stuck just after the deploy at the start of a game. The heat haze on Hamada makes flying planes a pain in the ass. You can't see any targets on the ground and even identifying other planes is difficult. (this may have been a bug, I only played one round on this map in a plane)

I watched some online reviews of this game and it's funny how totally wrong some of them are. They compare it to COD saying it doesn't feel like a war. That's utter nonsense. In all the maps I have seen whole squads of soldiers advancing together to capture an objective in a surge that is extremely cinematic. I have seen multiple tank battles and advances and I have seen air ground combat way more advanced than anything COD has to offer.

One review said COD4 was better because it had more maps, and then said that he liked all the BFv maps better and way preferred the gameplay.
    Some people are not too smart.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's another nVidia BFV ready driver out:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/battlefield-v-launch-game-ready-driver/

version 416.94

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any performance boost bumping up to DX12 or is it still broken?

Had a go there and performance seemed up to that of DX 11 atleast.
    Was unplayable with DX12 yesterday so its a vast improvement.
    Interesting to see comparison benchmarks when they arrive soon, 3D Guru put up their results yesterday then today DX12 is fully enabled lol, bet they are pissed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seems the Win Oct update is causing the RTX to be delayed which i imagine is what DX12 needs to show off all the fancy stuff.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seems the Win Oct update is causing the RTX to be delayed which i imagine is what DX12 needs to show off all the fancy stuff.

Todays patch enabled the RTX option according to Dice.

dreamers75 wrote: »

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/battlefield-v-raytracing-features-are-now-enabled.html

It's there now, big performance hits though. Hard to know if optimisations will change it over time! Makes my decision to buy a new card harder..
    :mad:

Update notes, lifted from ea/reddit;
    Battlefield V 11-14-2018 Update Notes

This is a smaller update that resolves a few stability issues that we’ve identified as well as a squishing a few bugs related to game modes.

This update also enables RTX ray tracing for graphics card that support this feature.

Change List
    Fixed an issue that could result in a very uneven number of players at the start of a round.
    Made improvements to matchmaking with a full squad which should result in less disconnects.
    In some cases, the revive functionality would suddenly stop to function for all of the players on a server. This has now been fixed.
    Further improvements to game client stability have been made.
    In the Airborne game mode, spawn protection has been added when attackers spawn into planes. The planes are no longer as vulnerable to AA fire as they used to be at longer distances.
    Fixed an issue in Airborne where the bomb carriers could finish arming the objective even though they were dead.
    Players can no longer shoot down airplanes too quickly in Airborne, which could result in the attackers not being able to spawn.
    In War Stories, players are no longer able to collect Letters while playing offline due to them not being able to update the persistence counters, which requires an online connection.
    Fixed an issue where a weapon would disappear on the weapon selection screen.
    Fixed an issue in Frontlines mode on Devastation where the bomb in some rare cases spawned inside a wall.
    Fixed an issue which made the menus unusable when cancelling a matchmaking session.
    Fixed an issue with the lens sight alignment on the MP34 weapon.
    Xbox One Only
    Improved how the game resumes when using the Xbox One Instant-On function.
    PC Only
    RTX ray tracing can now be enabled with graphics cards that support this function.

How to Enable DXR for PC

If you have an Nvidia video card capable of utilizing their ray-tracing technology, today you'll be able to dive in for the first time with this amazing tech.

First, you'll need to ensure you've installed the Battlefield V 11-14-2018 Update, and have the latest Nvidia drivers. Additionally, you'll need to make sure you've installed the latest Windows 10 Update - "Windows 10 October 2018 Update". If you have automatic updates turned on for Windows, you should have it installed. If you don't have automatic updates turned on, you can manually check for the update and download it here.

Some details to help you get started:

Install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (RS5) - Windows 10 will automatically download the October 2018 Update on your computer if you've turned on automatic updates in Windows Update settings. When the update is ready, you'll be asked to pick a time to install it. After it's installed, your computer will be running Windows 10, version 1809. If you want to install the update now, select Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. If updates are available, install them.
    Enable DX12 & DXR in Battlefield V - To enable Ray Tracing in Battlefield V, go to VIDEO -> ADVANCED to enable DX12 and DXR in the game

• Advertisement

even without ray tracing I seem to have gotten a nice fps boost with that patch

Advertisement