Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

So decided to give this a go. Havent played a battlefield since...Vietnam (I think). Looking for a decent shooter which is a bit more tactical. This looks decent so got the origin premium access to give it a go for a month. Makes the ol risk much less costly if i end up hating it :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's better than BF1.

When you're on the side of a mountain in a gun fight and two fighters fly over your head having a battle and you hear the roar it looks and sounds genuinely amazing. Properly immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Turning all those video settings off makes a big difference. Issue with the names over heads is they're way too small up close and they do not display when downed. With all the other detail that catches your eye they can be hard to make out, the blue colour blends into the background way too much, Colour blind assist would be great! I think the spotting depends on how many people spot the same enemy. The opacity of the map icons should be increased also the nearest flag shows okay but they rest are very hard to see you have to be ADS on them to see them clearly. The markers work only when your squad is all on the same page and playing as a squad or looking in the same direction.

Much better than BF1. The plains are really well done alright, spectacular looking when they fly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Turning all those video settings off makes a big difference. Issue with the names over heads is they're way too small up close and they do not display when downed. With all the other detail that catches your eye they can be hard to make out, the blue colour blends into the background way too much, Colour blind assist would be great! I think the spotting depends on how many people spot the same enemy. The opacity of the map icons should be increased also the nearest flag shows okay but they rest are very hard to see you have to be ADS on them to see them clearly. The markers work only when your squad is all on the same page and playing as a squad or looking in the same direction.

Much better than BF1. The plains are really well done alright, spectacular looking when they fly over.
    You can tell who is friend or foe by the uniforms..yes there is a lot but none are silly in my mind...
    The spotting by recon is for the squad only..ie. another squad cant see the spot marker..
    Planes can fire spot flares, for the whole side I think...
    You can place area markers for your squad to see also..
    The opacity of map icons is so that they don't block your view for enemy..

awec wrote: »
    It's better than BF1.

When you're on the side of a mountain in a gun fight and two fighters fly over your head having a battle and you hear the roar it looks and sounds genuinely amazing. Properly immersive.
    I tried to take down a V1 rocket today in a spitfire..didn't succeed..but I was hounded by someone on my tail..
    When your in the tall grass, and an enemy walks on by and you just turn and pop him one...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I'm just learning how to handle the planes a lot of loop we loops going on as the turning circle is very loose

loose as Stormy Daniel's some might say

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I'm just learning how to handle the planes a lot of loop we loops going on as the turning circle is very loose

loose as Stormy Daniel's some might say
    Adjust throttle speed while turning..you will see which way the throttle goes to make it turn tighter

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Strange issue.
    I keep getting the error below.

"Connection to EA Online timed out. Your network bandwidth and/or network latency may not meet the requirements for this game"

Im on a 360mb Virgin connection cat 5 to the router. Pings of 15-30 to most EU servers.

Cant figure it out. Anyone got any ideas?

Can anyone help with this?

Might just be the servers! Could try resetting the cache on the router plug it out from back then turn the power switch off for a minute or so. Plug back in.

Could try forwarding the ports also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just looking through the BF forums and this was an issue on other games. Some people seem to have gotten it fixed, others gave up and Dice patched it better on other occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Played 1 round with randomers and there was more teamwork there than in any game of Battlefield I played in years.

Very difficult to see enemies I am wonder those with ps4 Pro and a 4k TV are at an advantage.

I can get over that but dog fighting is so hard as you don't know which plane is enemy until you get close. It is flawed. A pilot should be able to mark the enemy aeroplane.

can't find a game in matchmaking now very frustrating

fergus1001 wrote: »
    can't find a game in matchmaking now very frustrating

Go to custom and browse all servers. That work for me earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Major BF4 fan and I really enjoyed BF1 but this isn't doing it for me so far at all. Can't quite put my finger on it but this is feels closer to Call of Duty then previous titles for me.....and sort of like COD:WW2, not really getting a great WW2 vibe off it either and the maps are just OK. Only played a few hours so we'll see how I feel after a good run of it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Very difficult to see enemies I am wonder those with ps4 Pro and a 4k TV are at an advantage.

I can get over that but dog fighting is so hard as you don't know which plane is enemy until you get close. It is flawed. A pilot should be able to mark the enemy aeroplane.
    I play on PC, so better visuals than any console. It is still really hard to see enemies sometimes. They blend in really well at times.

Major BF4 fan and I really enjoyed BF1 but this isn't doing it for me so far at all. Can't quite put my finger on it but this is feels closer to Call of Duty then previous titles for me.....and sort of like COD:WW2, not really getting a great WW2 vibe off it either and the maps are just OK. Only played a few hours so we'll see how I feel after a good run of it.

If you are referring to conquest I would have to disagree. Pace of the game is a lot slower than usual and there are loads of instances of firefight where people are just staying behind cover. Love that as the mind numbing running around flag hunting is less of a thing now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Give it time but its nothing like COD, if anything BF1 is more like COD than anything in the series with the run and gun style and zero requirement to be tactical.
    Add in all the annoying stuff of BF1 like horses,overpowered elite troops from a pick up [most stupid idea ever ripped from star wars battlefront],grenade spam,spotting, that pathetic idea of giving the losing team some free kills by giving them a train or a behometh etc, i mean how lame is that.

Thankfully BFV stripped out all of this BS, its no surprise to see all the old BF streamers and youtubers back playing this game not to mention countless guys i know from the old BF communities back playing too, its by far the best of the series since BF3.

I brought around the field gun with the jeep and held 2 positions with it as I levelled all buildings, no one engages with this system and it can easily win you the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

every passing year to my dismay I get worse at FPSs. Was only in the MP for ten minutes yesterday. One thing that occurred to me was I like being a medic but they've given me a shippy smg? I'm being killed from miles out with little chance of retaliation. Man the carbines in BF4 were a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dcully wrote: »
    Give it time but its nothing like COD, if anything BF1 is more like COD than anything in the series with the run and gun style and zero requirement to be tactical.
    Add in all the annoying stuff of BF1 like horses,overpowered elite troops from a pick up [most stupid idea ever ripped from star wars battlefront],grenade spam,spotting, that pathetic idea of giving the losing team some free kills by giving them a train or a behometh etc, i mean how lame is that.

Thankfully BFV stripped out all of this BS, its no surprise to see all the old BF streamers and youtubers back playing this game not to mention countless guys i know from the old BF communities back playing too, its by far the best of the series since BF3.

I hope that's all true.
    I haven't played any since BF3 and still play it a lot.
    Xbox 360 just packed it in, so nice timing to get an upgrade :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

gimli2112 wrote: »
    every passing year to my dismay I get worse at FPSs. Was only in the MP for ten minutes yesterday. One thing that occurred to me was I like being a medic but they've given me a shippy smg? I'm being killed from miles out with little chance of retaliation. Man the carbines in BF4 were a godsend.

The starting medic weapon the Sten is very good just pull down a tad to combat recoil, it has a very easy to learn recoil pattern making it great for those headshots.
    I do agree overall medic weapons are poor compared to what other classes have , Dice agree and recently said they will buff them soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dcully wrote: »

I get all that and largely agree about BF1 despite it being a very fun game, I suppose I didn't mean it's more like COD from a purely gun-play or gameplay perspective, but in how the action seems to be unfolding.

I've only played a few hours but it seems to be an overwhelming infantry slog for me so far, vehicles are relatively rare and largely seem to not have any real impact on the actual battlefield at all.

I had a good run in the few hours I played and enjoyed the gun-play but it just felt like I was playing large scale team deathmatch rather than true Battlefield conquest. I think I only died once via vehicle or bombing/strafing.

Didn't feel that way about BF1 at launch, but again maybe it'll change in time, I plan playing a lot more of it before reaching any sort of definitive opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Did anyone order this from Amazon and get an email today referring to an email that you woild have received 24 hours after ordering giving you an “Enlister code”?

I ordered in September but the only code I received was for the beta access.

Anyone get an email with the Enlister code?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've been a Battlefield fan since BF3 ... what's the consensus with this? Is it worth getting?

I really love the idea of the multiplayer getting a bit more tactical (as another poster alluded to)... is this the case with this version?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Did anyone order this from Amazon and get an email today referring to an email that you woild have received 24 hours after ordering giving you an “Enlister code”?

I ordered in September but the only code I received was for the beta access.

Anyone get an email with the Enlister code?

Enlister offer gave you beta access and bf1 weapons and i thunk 1 paratrooper kit for bfv. If you got beta access you likely got the rest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Enlister offer gave you beta access and bf1 weapons and i thunk 1 paratrooper kit for bfv. If you got beta access you likely got the rest too.

Ah maybe. It wasn’t clear in the email sent back when I ordered as it just mentioned the open access beta.

I’ll check when the game arrives. Anything to look out for when the game arrives and installs i.e. how will I know I have it?

Finding myself getting very frustrated by this so far.

There's some personal gripes such as the guns not suiting or the scopes being a massive pain.
    Some are extremely hard to see enemies through and I find myself switching over and over.
    The longer scopes are fine, its mainly the 1-2x that have deficiencies.

I see there's a huge amount to unlock so I'll have to slog on with some guns to get those.

But the biggest issue I'm having is with the controller settings, I use high sensitivity in shooters and I'm just tweeking over and over again unable to find that sweet spot especially in relation to the dead zone for those miniscule presses needed to track someone at distance.

The dead zone was an issue in BF4 you couldn't adjust but I was able to get the set up spot on on BF1.
    Either its broken or else I just got lucky as I've changed my settings around numerous times now and I'm not finding that mark.

I've gone from being someone getting MVP every 4/5 games in 3,4 and 1 to propping up the leader board in this going nearly 1:1 K/D and its bugging the life out of me.
    And this is primarily down the to the controller settings just not being adjustable as efficiently as BF1.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »

It is for balancing. If the guns were better the medic would be the go to class.... Again

Advertisement