Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nijmegen wrote: »
    And yet I'd say Fjell is the ultimate map for clock rotation capping, but I guess that's down to not having organized enough squads (bring back commanders!)

Not with a panzerfaust. With dynamite sure, but with proper combined arms infantry supporting the tank that's not possible. I think it's balanced in that sense - tanks can't just ride across the map and cap points by themselves, similar to how they can't just tear off by themselves in real life.

Up to 12 hours probably. Still really enjoying it. Starting to mess with customizations like scopes, really liked for example that a 3x scope on the standard assault SMG has an appreciable load time, none of this insta-scope business. The ironsight is lightning quick but if you want that 3x (and given the bullet drop off, it's an effective medium range weapon) you sacrifice your short range effectiveness significantly. I like those little touches.
    Yea I noticed this a lot, points just constantly rotating on that map. Impossible to hold them down.

I thought it was just because I was playing pre-release and wondering if it was just because players hadn't figure it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Put it down to the squad leader command having a timer also. It's extremely hard sometimes to give commands for flags on console. You have to release RB/L2 to confirm the command. Sometimes the timing of that can be off, not sure what it is. They really made it unnecessarily difficult. Even calling in reinforcements you have to do it a few times before it allows you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So I've now played about 20 hours and my opinion of the game hasn't really changed at all. Just too heavily an infantry slog of a game with decent gunplay and slick visuals, but it's not really Battlefield for me at all, it's just a giant deathmatch arena with a few vehicles thrown in, all of which tend to be completely removed from the Battlefield in the majority of maps and tend to have very little impact unlike other games in the franchise.

There are one or two solid maps (Arras is great) but most of them are just... completely average and there aren't enough of them either. The whole game is just pretty bland, really, and doesn't do anything particularly new or interesting, at least BF1 was a shake up for the franchise, BF:V just feels pretty stale and uninspired and not much more than a stop-gap until the next 'real' Battlefield comes along.

It's grand for what it is - and the actual gameplay/gunplay is pretty solid - but already after 20 hours I'm starting to feel jaded with it, I can't imagine putting 200+ hours into this like BF2/BF3/BF4/BF1. I personally would say it's not nearly as good as BF1 as an overall package, even though some aspects like the gunplay are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So I've now played about 20 hours and my opinion of the game hasn't really changed at all. Just too heavily an infantry slog of a game with decent gunplay and slick visuals, but it's not really Battlefield for me at all, it's just a giant deathmatch arena with a few vehicles thrown in, all of which tend to be completely removed from the Battlefield in the majority of maps and tend to have very little impact unlike other games in the franchise.

There are one or two solid maps (Arras is great) but most of them are just... completely average and there aren't enough of them either. The whole game is just pretty bland, really, and doesn't do anything particularly new or interesting, at least BF1 was a shake up for the franchise, BF:V just feels pretty stale and uninspired and not much more than a stop-gap until the next 'real' Battlefield comes along.

It's grand for what it is - and the actual gameplay/gunplay is pretty solid - but already after 20 hours I'm starting to feel jaded with it, I can't imagine putting 200+ hours into this like BF2/BF3/BF4/BF1. I personally would say it's not nearly as good as BF1 as an overall package, even though some aspects like the gunplay are better.

Can't say I agree with you but I didn't enjoy BF1.

Grenade spam, elite classes, behemoths, ridiculously powerful cavalry, unstoppable bombers and sweetspot sniper rifles all just made BF1 feel ike a step backward.

I'm really enjoying BFV. The lack of spotting, great visuals, the new attrition and revive mechaincs and probably the best gunplay of the series have me looking forward to playing it.

I even think the tanks feel good, a bit slow and they go down too easy but you can go on some big streaks as long as you just drive into the middle of an objective. They're going to tweak tanks and panzerfausts though to allow them to survive for longer.

Went on a little streak with a tank on Arras yesterday. 10 kills near the B flag. I was back from the flag though so can't agree rushing an objective with a tank will get you kills, it will get you killed. As long as the enemy is clueless to a tank you can get a few kills when they spot it, its death! The Assault class can get you extra requisitions for taking out tanks, an extra ammo for the panzerfaust. If they were hard to take out that might make sense that makes the class even more OP.

• Advertisement

I don't think everything everything in BF1 was good or a welcome addition but I did say as a complete package - it was a good, carnage filled Battlefield experience and combined arms worked very well, even on a casual level. I also don't think Behemoths were an outright terrible idea - they kept the game exciting and competitive even when one side is badly losing.

Was playing a game of Narvik yesterday and one team was so dominating that the enemy team just all started leaving. Behemoths was a decent strategy to combat that, which has plagued all BF games to some degree, and keep games going right until the end. I didn't dislike it.

BF:V is way more tactical and the gunplay is much tighter and less COD-like, which in itself is good, but it's put so much emphasis on getting infantry combat right that the vehicles seem like an afterthought and broadly speaking are a little disconnected from the ground-war so you end up with largely huge deathmatch arenas. I've been killed by bombing a few times but I've rarely been killed by a tank in 20 hours gameplay and hardly ever see proper armoured encounters.

Possibly it's largely due to map design rather than outright game mechanics, and I think the maps in BF:V are probably the worst out of any BF game in that they're simply geared too much towards infantry. I just don't get a Battlefield feel at all off this game, maybe for fans of Bad Company 2 it's more of a return to that sort of rock solid combat title, but as a numbered Battlefield title it's just not hitting the right notes for me at all.

Still enjoy it in short bursts but can't see the longevity in it unless they bring out a fair amount of changes and a lot of new content.

Tanks need a serious buff, check out the direct chest hit towards the end (hit for 70hp) if the quality is good enough.

https://twitter.com/PhilGolden_/status/1066687618639904768

Managed to land on top if the* bridge on twisted steel there after being shot down in a plane. Actually jumped out of the plane onto the bridge. Got a couple of kills then waited for a squad mate to spawn and redeployed. Started spotting and sniping from the bridge off the spawn beacon. Can see everything, ultimate vantage point and when the other team has B and E its like Christmas, easy headshots. Got about 17 kills until I got swiped off by a bomber who took the spawn beacon out also.

Is that bug present on all platforms. You start on Hamada with all flags or all flags on the opposite team? At least 20 loses because of it.

Xbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Is that bug present on all platforms. You start on Hamada with all flags or all flags on the opposite team? At least 20 loses because of it.

Xbox!

I don't think that's a glitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Managed to land on the bridge on twisted steel there after being shot down in a plane. Actually jumped out of the plane onto the bridge. Got a couple of kills then waited for a squad mate to spawn and redeployed. Started spotting and sniping from the bridge off the spawn beacon. Can see everything, ultimate vantage point and when the other team has B and E its like Christmas, easy headshots. Got about 17 kills until I got swiped off by a bomber who took the spawn beacon out also.

I suppose it’s canonical in that a few steel span bridges had defenders up in them during the war for that same reason. That and Arras are my favourite maps.

Killinator wrote: »
    I don't think that's a glitch

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

yes ! I went into the game and this happened, with a bad team you end up getting base raped for the entire game

plus on that map the planes spawn to early and can carpet bomb the spawn point at the start of the match, I started a game and a pilot got 15 kills with one run

What makes you think that?

Cause the team with all areas starts with less points.
    I assumed it's similar to the map in BF1 ON Gallipoli where you start with either all bases or none

Killinator wrote: »
    Cause the team with all areas starts with less points.
    I assumed it's similar to the map in BF1 ON Gallipoli where you start with either all bases or none

The team with none suffers massive ticket bleed, by the time they take a single flag they are already losing. Takes a while to travel to the furthest flag also and because of the massive carnage at the A flag it doesn't get capped until the opposing team is distracted with their spawn flags gone.

Think I remember the BF1 beta were it was happening sporadically. It must be a bug!

The team with none suffers massive ticket bleed, by the time they take a single flag they are already losing. Takes a while to travel to the furthest flag also and because of the massive carnage at the A flag it doesn't get capped until the opposing team is distracted with their spawn flags gone.

Think I remember the BF1 beta were it was happening sporadically. It must be a bug!

Perhaps you're right, I can't say I've experienced the same issues and any games I've played on Hamada have been close run

Nice V1 to clinch the match.

https://twitter.com/PhilGolden_/status/1066805221672841216

Only an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, conquest assault is a legit gamemode, but the people with no flags are supposed to have more tickets as far as I know?

Some people love it, some hate it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_(gametype)#Conquest:_Assault

I think the original difference being one team used to have an uncap base and the team with all the flags had none.

Nice V1 to clinch the match.

Only an 8.

only in battlefield eh ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ktulu and I have deprecated the BF1 username threads, and put up fresh BFV ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Played a couple of hours and I really like it. I've only scraped the surface though with infantry.
    Since I haven't played since BF3, it's a like a totally different game... I guess I didnt see the transitions from BF4 to BF1 and now here.

It's very unforgiving to be out in the open, but there's lot of opportunity to cover and stealth around.
    Squad play is going to be a key strength.

I've seen some frantic firefights already and can see me wasted hours on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Played a couple of hours and I really like it. I've only scraped the surface though with infantry.
    Since I haven't played since BF3, it's a like a totally different game... I guess I didnt see the transitions from BF4 to BF1 and now here.

It's very unforgiving to be out in the open, but there's lot of opportunity to cover and stealth around.
    Squad play is going to be a key strength.

I've seen some frantic firefights already and can see me wasting hours on this...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I play on PC and put in over 50 hours since early access started on origin premier and i cant stop playing it.
    Its so much better in every way than BF1 and BF4 but its not perfect.
    Big update coming in Dec4th so lets see whats happens then but for now im very happy with balancing, baring in mind its so hard to balance weapons in such a game.
    Only overpowered thing in the game is the bombers in 3rd person mode, just too easy to aim your bombs.
    Fantastic gunplay great maps apart from 1 or 2 , some game modes need a lot of work, conquest and breakthrough are pretty cloe to what id consider solid, frontlines and grand operations need work, i dont play other modes.

Thank God they left out all the rubbish from BF1, horses,trains,elite troops,spotting,overpowered tanks and planes the list is endless of annoying stuff in that game, it was far too noob friendly to be considered a proper BF game imho.

Considering i really did not like the alpha or following betas the finished game is 10x better.

The spawns can be really terrible, at times you spawn on a flag with someone ADS on you. Spawned into a game on the C flag on Fjell while the whole enemy team was surrounding me. The servers were having issues at the time also the textures did not load correctly wasn't sure if the player in front of me was on my side, he didn't see me or thought I was a squad spawn, but he got it to the head anyway before I got owned.

Dcully wrote: »
    Thank God they left out all the rubbish from BF1, horses,trains,elite troops,spotting,overpowered tanks and planes the list is endless of annoying stuff in that game, it was far too noob friendly to be considered a proper BF game imho.

I think there's a delicate balance to be struck though. BF1 was very accessible and a balls-to-the-wall action experience.

It was more arcade than previous titles but it really resonated for two reasons - a) combined arms total carnage on almost every map that appealed to veterans and newcomers alike and b) really reinvented the wheel for a battlefield experience, despite flaws.

BFV is very tactical and gunplay heavy; I personally actually like that and I can tell you do too; but for me, it's not enough when it's at the expense of everything else that makes a BF game a true BF game.

It's far too safe and completely lacks innovation, with unremarkable maps (personally don't understand at all why they didn't go with some iconic WW2 scenarios) and sorely lacking in trademark combined arms mayhem.

Interesting if you look at reviews, BFV is down across the board with critics versus BF1 (though still reasonably well received) and down a good bit with user reviews.

Personally, I think BF2 was the golden child and it's been through a rollercoaster of ups and downs since then, BF4 was probably the best since.

I get a thrill out of BFV but it's radically different to the other games....I'd say it's almost like BF1.5, ala Hardline, than a full fledged BF title that you could expect to get a few years mileage out of.

I feel like I'm playing a 2018 refresh of Day of Defeat when I play it. And that's not a bad thing in isolation, nor does it make it a bad game, just....lacklustre as a BF title.

Anyone else on xbox unable to launch the game? It's displaying the splash screen for me then the load logo freezes after a second.

Only started happening now, have been playing it since launch.

Strange rebooted and it froze again but eventually loaded, took awhile though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I feel like I'm playing a 2018 refresh of Day of Defeat when I play it. And that's not a bad thing in isolation, nor does it make it a bad game, just....lacklustre as a BF title.

Thats exactly why im enjoying it so much, it reminds me of DOD and CODUO.
    I agree the vehicles element does lack that BF feel but i was never a big vehicle or aircraft BF player in any of games in the series so i can get by without them being a large part of the experience.

In a way BFV reminds me of Bad Company 2 in terms of smaller scale vehicular combat.

They really missed out by leaving out iconic WW2 theaters of war, they just have to go there with this game imo.

Strange rebooted and it froze again but eventually loaded, took awhile though.

I've had a few crashes but nothing like that, are you on xbone or xbone x ?

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I've had a few crashes but nothing like that, are you on xbone or xbone x ?

Xbox 1. Crashed once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats exactly why im enjoying it so much, it reminds me of DOD and CODUO.
    I agree the vehicles element does lack that BF feel but i was never a big vehicle or aircraft BF player in any of games in the series so i can get by without them being a large part of the experience.

In a way BFV reminds me of Bad Company 2 in terms of smaller scale vehicular combat.

They really missed out by leaving out iconic WW2 theaters of war, they just have to go there with this game imo.

As you guys say, the tactical infantry combat is A1 in my opinion. There's still good vehicle play - I've successfully supported inf in a few maps where the squads are cooperating.

I don't get the BFV hate to be honest, in a lot of reviews that give it lukewarm reception they say "I've had a lot of fun, but..." and the but surrounds some nebulous view of what a BF game ought to be. It's darn fun, I've completely switched off all other shooters for quite a while now and can see myself continuing to do so.

BF1 was fun in a different way, but wasn't entirely to my taste; and to be honest I didn't warm to BF4. 1942 and 2 were the highlights of the series for me and I am actually enjoying BFV so far as much, though it is quite different to either.

I'd love to see them redo some of the classic BF1942 maps. Tobruk, El Al, Market Garden, Battleaxe for the Brits; and eventually roll out the Americans and Japanese. Come on Iwo.

Advertisement