Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I loved BF1. The only thing that really annoyed me about it was the cavalry class, who should never have had increased health. They already had the ability to heal themselves very quickly. Grenade spam at choke points also an issue, so I just avoided them. I feel they completely nailed the non gameplay aspects, the dramatic feel of charging across a map in operations etc. I feel it got a lot of flak from the community for being noob friendly etc. but the vast majority of players playing an fps aren't that good, if you go too far the other way then you'll struggle to maintain a player base outside of your hardcore audience.

BF5 thus far seems alright. I do like the gunplay but it's quite unforgiving to play on your own. I don't have any friends playing the game and I've absolutely zero interest in using a headset to chat to complete randomers so I'm at a disadvantage there. I'm sticking to game modes like team deathmatch and breakthrough that are a bit easier playing solo. Grand Operations is cack, they should have just left operations the way it was. 8 maps at launch is not much, already getting a little tired of it. And as much as they nailed the non gameplay aspects of BF1, they've missed the mark here. Barely feels like a WW2 game.

I would worry about the amount of new content coming given that updates are now free. It definitely feels like they're holding back things that should have been in the base game for free updates, just so they can say they're providing new content post launch. Not many launch weapons and only two factions, it really wasn't enough. Wimmenz running around obviously ruin the experience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I would worry about the amount of new content coming given that updates are now free. It definitely feels like they're holding back things that should have been in the base game for free updates, just so they can say they're providing new content post launch. Not many launch weapons and only two factions, it really wasn't enough. Wimmenz running around obviously ruin the experience too.

I would agree with the amount of content at release. It actually reminds me of BF1942, when they had only done German weapons and therefore had the Japanese hopping out of their Kubelwagens to spray down marines with their MP40s (though that just has more to do with the customization of everything for everyone I guess.)

As for the women, in the SP campaign they used a woman in a resistance campaign which is perfectly accurate. In MP, you can hold down X to repair your aircraft as it flies around missing half a wing. I have no problem with women in game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Heh, that was very much a tongue in cheek comment. I don't think we need to go over that whole debacle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Heh, that was very much a tongue in cheek comment. I don't think we need to go over that whole debacle again.

Are you sure? It was such a reasoned and wholesome debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

That Gewehr sniper is beast but Iv'e been getting hit makers with it starting from today, stone cold Headshots. Most times its a one hit kill today not so much. Servers have crappy hit detection today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

That Gewehr sniper is beast but Iv'e been getting hit makers with it starting from today, stone cold Headshots. Most times its a one hit kill today not so much. Servers have crappy hit detection today!

I found that a bit on Monday evening as well. So much so at one point I thought I'd missed a patch and TTK update going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Got this last night - always been a fan of BF but recent additions haven't sucked me in.

Last edition which really hooked me was BFBC2 which I thought was great.

Really like this from the short amount of time I have spent with it - will sink a couple of hours in tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Played last night with a proper headset instead of speakers. Serious difference, I would say far greater even than the difference between something like running at low versus high settings, the level of immersion was off the scale.

Also tried Grand Operations, pretty amazing as it's totally always balls-to-the-wall intense. Enjoying that a lot more than conquest in this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Set your sound to 3D audio via ingame audio settings, pretty epic.
    Try Breakthrough mode if you want non stop action, works well on some maps not so on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Only played a little bit of so far hard to say if i like it. Played Battlefield since 1942!

I liked the BETA and i didnt get into BF1.. Would you guys recommend it?

• Advertisement

Scram wrote: »
    Only played a little bit of so far hard to say if i like it. Played Battlefield since 1942!

Its good for short bursts anyway. It can get repetitive with the limited maps.
    Has its good and bad, If you get a decent squad that play as a team it can be really fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Scram wrote: »

It seems to be like Marmite, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nijmegen wrote: »
    It seems to be like Marmite, to be honest.

It's not really, most people giving out about it and dismissing it likely haven't played it and are just jumping on the hate bandwagon.

From most discussions I've read about it, people who have played it really enjoy it.
    There are plenty of valid issues to raise about the game but I can't see how you could hate it if you were a fan of previous Battlefield games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It's not really, most people giving out about it and dismissing it likely haven't played it and are just jumping on the hate bandwagon.

From most discussions I've read about it, people who have played it really enjoy it.
    There are plenty of valid issues to raise about the game but I can't see how you could hate it if you were a fan of previous Battlefield games.

Just like there is a bandwagon of hate there is also a bangwagon of fanboys who would lick it up off the ground and forgive anything that the devs do because thats just who they are.

The reality is somewhere in the middle, some people like it some people don't. A big fear i would have is if it will be abandoned through its cycle considering the purchase numbers are so down.

I don't for one second believe that things are as bad as 63% down but i am worried when the game is 50% off on the first week since its launch.

I personally am holding out before i jump in, i really want a shooter to play right now but am holding off until i am sure its the right time to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ummm..let me see.
    Optimization is desperate in it.
    No proper joystick support and the aircraft in it are hugely dumbed down making it more arcadey now. Of course this is because the noobs are crying about omg them planes suck ...nerf them dice.
    Sniper glint..more rubbish introduced becase of noobs whinging as above (just substitute sniper for plane)
    No commander as in BF2/2142. A huge loss to how teams and squads really played. When this was present about 90% of teams all played as a squad.
    In BFv and since BF3 it’s more like COD which is what Ea wanted.
    And finally...god it’s so damned boring.
    There’s no sense of achievement...it’s oh look another medal..what’s that one for? Ah.. I died and spawned 5 times..etc etc.
    When you compare the last few battlefield games including 3/4/1/5 to BF2/2142/BC2 they’re extremely lacking.
    You would only like BFV if you only joined the battlefield in the last 2-3 iterations of it.

Blazer wrote: »
    Ummm..let me see.
    No proper joystick support and the aircraft in it are hugely dumbed down making it more arcadey now. Of course this is because the noobs are crying about omg them planes suck ...nerf them dice.
    Sniper glint..more rubbish introduced becase of noobs whinging as above (just substitute sniper for plane)
    No commander as in BF2/2142. A huge loss to how teams and squads really played. When this was present about 90% of teams all played as a squad.
    There’s no sense of achievement...it’s oh look another medal..what’s that one for? Ah.. I died and spawned 5 times..etc etc.
    When you compare the last few battlefield games including 3/4/1/5 to BF2/2142/BC2 they’re extremely lacking.
    You would only like BFV if you only joined the battlefield in the last 2-3 iterations of it.

You forgot about tanks. The sniper glint is a bit ridiculous alright its like the glint from a 4,100 lumens torch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

BF player from the very beginning,played everything in the series and really enjoy BFV.
    Also noticed plenty of guys i gamed with during BF1942 logging in to play it too.
    All the guys i game with enjoying too, like myself they played BF from 1942 days.

You forgot about tanks. The sniper glint is a bit ridiculous alright its like the glint from a 4,100 lumens torch.

I never really use tanks so not sure on them.
    I do find them a bit easier to blow up.
    Plus auto repairing =bull****.
    Get an engineer to do it as in previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

best BF since BF3 at least the guns feel like they actually work in this god i hope they dont nerf them . gun play is brilliant and gameplay is very good aswell . as long as they dont mess it up now

Ummm..let me see.

I've played every Battlefield since BF2 and Im enjoying BFV.

You've also got a thick pair of rose tinted glasses on, BC2 and earlier games aren't the pinnacle of shooters that people make them out to be.

• Advertisement

I never really use tanks so not sure on them.
    I do find them a bit easier to blow up.
    Plus auto repairing =bull****.
    Get an engineer to do it as in previous games.

The Repair is a good balance I think you can't fire while repairing and you don't risk getting the tank stolen when you get out to repair it. It makes it a bit more tactical when given the choice of repair or kill the attacker. The way tanks are currently the Assault Class is too OP for a tank so tanks don't stand a chance. The weapon load out damage (against other infantry at least) on the Assault Class is fine I feel its just the tank health against them that needs to be buffed.

1 Panzer can take the health down to 90 while a tank shell against another tank is very unbalanced in comparison. Even the shell against infantry needs a major buff. It can put a 5ft radius fox hole in the ground yet it won't kill the infantry surrounding it. It should be an instant death if the infantry is within the blast radius. I don't think normal grenades should be damaging tanks not even the grenade rifle should be causing damage. Tank grenades yes, that's what they are for , but the Assualt class should have to choose which one to pick Panzer, ATmine or ATGrenade. If they don't change the Assualt loadout then tanks would need to be 2.5/3 times harder to take out imo. Thought I saw support with a tool to repair might have been dreaming though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Calhoun wrote: »
    The reality is somewhere in the middle, some people like it some people don't. A big fear i would have is if it will be abandoned through its cycle considering the purchase numbers are so down.

Pretty much. I'm enjoying it and the gun play is excellent but it's limited content-wise and the actual overall game is just decent, nothing more.

Do I like it? Yes. Am I disappointed? Also yes. The two feelings are compatible.

Honestly I would say the opposite is true. It's not a 'hate bandwagon' to believe that a game is disappointing or not living up to it's promise, nor does it mean you actively dislike it for thinking that.

To me it's just an average decent game with excellent gunplay that I'll likely get tired of way, way quicker than I usually would in a BF title. I think most people who dislike it, or are disappointed, feel the same and that it just falls short of what you could reasonably expect from a BF title.

^^ agree completely.
    I just figured out that my ram was in single channel causing my bottleneck so once in dual my fps shot up and now in the low 100's.
    Now it feels a great deal better.
    Now keep playing and hopefully as they add in more content it will get better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

To me it's just an average decent game with excellent gunplay that I'll likely get tired of way, way quicker than I usually would in a BF title. I think most people who dislike it, or are disappointed, feel the same and that it just falls short of what you could reasonably expect from a BF title.

Thats actually pretty good for me as i love playing the soldier, i rarely use tanks or planes.

I do like the ability to be a game changer though and take out a tank ect.

Pretty much. I'm enjoying it and the gun play is excellent but it's limited content-wise and the actual overall game is just decent, nothing more.

Do I like it? Yes. Am I disappointed? Also yes. The two feelings are compatible.

Honestly I would say the opposite is true. It's not a 'hate bandwagon' to believe that a game is disappointing or not living up to it's promise, nor does it mean you actively dislike it for thinking that.

That's all very reasonable, game is far from a complete package but hopefully in time it'll get there.

It just seems there's still a lot resentment from the reveal trailer and people are slating the game because of that instead of judging it on its merits.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Thats actually pretty good for me as i love playing the soldier, i rarely use tanks or planes.

I do like the ability to be a game changer though and take out a tank ect.

Tanks should be a game changer on an objective they don't change the game though in the slightest in their current state, they're a distraction for a few seconds at best. The other team should be running at the sight of a tank, they get killed and re-spawn as Assault because its a free kill and loads of XP. Nothing's stopping them doing the same if tanks get a balance patch but hopefully they will be patched to at least give them a chance to change the game. Hopefully the upcoming patch will balance things a bit. It will probably be a patch that will make or break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's hard to get tanks right though. Noticed it particularly in BF1 with decent players largely unkillable and racking up huge killstreaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Tanks should be a game changer on an objective they don't change the game though in the slightest in their current state, they're a distraction for a few seconds at best. The other team should be running at the sight of a tank, they get killed and re-spawn as Assault because its a free kill and loads of XP. Nothing's stopping them doing the same if tanks get a balance patch but hopefully they will be patched to at least give them a chance to change the game. Hopefully the upcoming patch will balance things a bit. It will probably be a patch that will make or break.

Id say a tank supported by infantry should be a game changer. A squad protecting a tank should be a thing to worry about not a tank in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As a tank player since BF2 (BF2, BF3,4,1) ,they are quite underwhelming in BF5.

I agree with a lot of what's being said here, people should be running when they see tanks at a point, but they shouldn't dominate a whole game.

Tanks are afraid to go near a point these days, mainly because the tank finds it hard to kill infantry.
    It's machine gun doesn't really do enough damage to infantry....and they will escape with a few scratches 90% of the time.
    The tanks cannon or shell, doesn't do enough splash damage to warrant shooting beside or behind a point where you think there are infantrymen. Also it's main turret doesn't turn quick enough to be able to deal with infantry and the large tanks move SO SLOW that they are just big bullseyes for Assault players.
    Using the tank cannon in 3rd person with the reticle is completely useless

There aren't enough maps where there are actual tank battles needed, I completely disregarded upgrading the main tanks due to lack of tanks battles and decided to upgrade the small quicker tanks...which unlocked a 20mm cannon for use against infantry.
    I was hoping this 20mm cannnon would be similar to an APC in previous games that would deal a lot of splash damage...but that's not the case. The 20mm still allows infantry to escape unless you hit them a good few times.

The only way to get a decent score or use the tank in an efficient way....is as someone stated...being flanked by a group of players to help....which rarely if ever happens.....which then leaves you with the only alternative.....which is to post up about 150m outside a point...example outside of the C Hangar on the airfield map...and spam the hallways or the areas where people all hole up.

Sniper tank is the only way forward atm unfortunately and it doesn't really help the team.

My biggest disappointment about the game in general is the map selection.
    Some of them are awful.

2 snow ones in a row.
    1 of which is made for Bomber spamming, whoever controls the air on that wins usually....or campers just waiting for people running across the snow.
    2nd snow map is just a clusterf*ck or stuff, if they removed that bridge by the sea it would be better.

Devastation and Rotterdam feel like infantry only maps....with capture points constantly being rotated. Capture....move next point...capture..back to previous point etc.

Arras and Twisted Steel.....HUGE open areas in between points , so it gets very annoying running to capture the next ones, sniper heaven. Plus you have the people who love to only fight on the bridge and shoot from there.

Aerodrome seems good, except that too many people ONLY focus on C (Hangar)
    Hamada is the worst map by far with the Brits owning all the points at the start and G and F on their own little island.
    I hard quit that map as soon as it loads....which takes another 2 mins to do.

• Advertisement

Id say a tank supported by infantry should be a game changer. A squad protecting a tank should be a thing to worry about not a tank in general.

I was in a tank with a squad mate on the turret refilling ammo, the squad member shot the **** out of the ammo crate rendering it useless. This is the mentality of these feckless gob****es, how are they going to protect a tank?

If there was a incentive/reward to protect a tank it might make things interesting. But the fact is 1 Panzerfaust can take a tanks health down to 90 and normal nades can finish it off.

You're correct in sense but ideally you would need at least 2-3 squads in a party protecting a tank.

Advertisement