Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

am playing this on XBOX One

Any squads I can join in on ?

GT: D33pThoughtz

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057931650 lash it into that thread and see what happens.

I think I've a few from boards on mine for PC but i'm desperate at actually doing anything about it and squadding up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Gawa now have a xbox platoon...search for it in platoon list..or whatever its called on xbox ;)

I've played a few rounds of the new map now.

My God is it awful.

On the surface it looks like it should be a good map.
    Setting is nice and loads of buildings but the design is so bad.

Bottleneck once one team takes C and D as theres no way around apart from that one section.

This game had its problems at launch but for me the biggest issue was that the base game was just full of awful maps.
    Not one really good one, and the middling ones not even being high end in a normal battlefield sense.

Now we're onto the third map in a year(I'd rather pay for premium and have 8 maps by now than this free malarkey which has turned out to be that its basically gone instead of free) and it's one of the worst designed ones I've ever played.
    Who thinks it's a good idea to design a big map where the only action takes place in a single bottleneck over and over. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So I finally got this on EA Access............

Generally I've always been a fairly prompt buyer of the BF series but I knew I hadn't the time for it when it originally released and then the overarching opinion of it was that it was a buggy mess so I kept putting it off. And boy does it not feel like fun.

Spotting is gone?? you just place a little pin on the screen for your squad to ignore. No big deal that they do but I used to spot enemies so that I could keep track of them, now it's just a mess and you're taking the odd pot shot at somebody on the other side of map that may or may not be actually on your team but you've no way of knowing.

Some of the maps are still BF big, but vehicles don't feel as a accessible and so you spend half the time running from obj to obj or is that just me?

I haven't touched any of the more niche new modes like Firestorm yet but the small teams modes like squad conquest didn't feel great. The maps aren't downsized enough for them so it still feels like you're running for ages just to find some action. And then die.

Those are just a few musings from my first few hours playing, my opinion may change with time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Also, I play on the PS4 and have it wired via homeplugs to my router, but on every single map I've played I get some of the latency "warning symbols" on screen. Anytime I check the server info I seem to connected to one in Germany but I didn't think that should be too much of an issue. Does this happen to everyone?

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    So I finally got this on EA Access............

Generally I've always been a fairly prompt buyer of the BF series but I knew I hadn't the time for it when it originally released and then the overarching opinion of it was that it was a buggy mess so I kept putting it off. And boy does it not feel like fun.

Spotting is gone?? you just place a little pin on the screen for your squad to ignore. No big deal that they do but I used to spot enemies so that I could keep track of them, now it's just a mess and you're taking the odd pot shot at somebody on the other side of map that may or may not be actually on your team but you've no way of knowing.

Some of the maps are still BF big, but vehicles don't feel as a accessible and so you spend half the time running from obj to obj or is that just me?

I haven't touched any of the more niche new modes like Firestorm yet but the small teams modes like squad conquest didn't feel great. The maps aren't downsized enough for them so it still feels like you're running for ages just to find some action. And then die.

Those are just a few musings from my first few hours playing, my opinion may change with time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Also, I play on the PS4 and have it wired via homeplugs to my router, but on every single map I've played I get some of the latency "warning symbols" on screen. Anytime I check the server info I seem to connected to one in Germany but I didn't think that should be too much of an issue. Does this happen to everyone?

First off what is your Latency on the score screen? What Broadband do you have..If FTTH, then your Latency should be around 28-30 and that's using wifi..

Yes spotting is gone but it is still there too.. Sniper spotting scope, flare gun, plane flares, tank scope, suppression by support, ground rader in certain planes..

New update has latency increased for mostly everyone, and Dice are working on this.

I rarely fire on friendly's bar when the friendly icon is slow to appear..

In general Git Gud.. Join a Platoon, have some craic,

pegasus1 wrote: »
    First off what is your Latency on the score screen? What Broadband do you have..If FTTH, then your Latency should be around 28-30 and that's using wifi..

Yes spotting is gone but it is still there too.. Sniper spotting scope, flare gun, plane flares, tank scope, suppression by support, ground rader in certain planes..

New update has latency increased for mostly everyone, and Dice are working on this.

I rarely fire on friendly's bar when the friendly icon is slow to appear..

In general Git Gud.. Join a Platoon, have some craic,

Forget what exact plan I'm on with Eir but, using the laptop, speed test just now without kicking anyone else off the network was 50 Mbps down; 20 Mbps up which should be more than enough. PS4 is connected to the router via home plugs and not wireless.

Had a game of conquest last night with the network statistics turned on:

Latency: 80-90 ms
    Network Vrtn: 8-12 ms
    Extr Offset: 40-45 ms

No idea what those are like as a benchmark for BFV but it seems high to me. Are the only EU servers located in Germany? Couldn't find anything closer when I searched.

I was prepared for the initial learning curve having not played it before and not played any BF in year or so, but it just feels a little laggy which is sucking the enjoyment out of it.

Forget what exact plan I'm on with Eir but, using the laptop, speed test just now without kicking anyone else off the network was 50 Mbps down; 20 Mbps up which should be more than enough. PS4 is connected to the router via home plugs and not wireless.

Had a game of conquest last night with the network statistics turned on:

Latency: 80-90 ms
    Network Vrtn: 8-12 ms
    Extr Offset: 40-45 ms

No idea what those are like as a benchmark for BFV but it seems high to me. Are the only EU servers located in Germany? Couldn't find anything closer when I searched.

I was prepared for the initial learning curve having not played it before and not played any BF in year or so, but it just feels a little laggy which is sucking the enjoyment out of it.

At the moment I get about 60 ping.. after update..
    Uk servers pulled a while ago.. may be back for RSP..

At the moment I get about 60 ping.. after update..
    Uk servers pulled a while ago.. may be back for RSP..

Had a few more games last night. Ping was similar but I kept a closer eye on everyone else's on the scoreboard too and well the good news, I guess, is that they're all similar. Lowest I saw all night was ~55 ms.

Had a few more games last night. Ping was similar but I kept a closer eye on everyone else's on the scoreboard too and well the good news, I guess, is that they're all similar. Lowest I saw all night was ~55 ms.
    After latest update everyone's ping doubled..Dice are aware and working on a fix.. There are too many strategic positioned people now and plenty now are in two's, making gameplay impossible..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

There are too many strategic positioned people now and plenty now are in two's, making gameplay impossible..

I've read this a number of times and I still don't know what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I mean, if you know where people are going to positioned how does this make gameplay impossible? Surely you can kill them pretty easily if you know where they are or are going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

So I take it the next update is gonna bring us the Pacific theatre of war? Some American planes and armour would be nice

Next update is return of operation metro and a few other bits and bobs, pacific drop likely mid to end of oct / early november.

Don't understand why they don't keep Grind and Fortress in the game constantly, far better craic than normal breakthrough and conquest I find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Finally tried it; I'm on the verge of uninstalling after 5 hours.
    -The weapons feel utterly pisspoor compared to every other entry in the franchise
    -Medics having ****ty little SMGs is a joke (I still miss the BC2 days of having the LMG) and the bolt actions are no better.
    -The intention behind the spotting change might be good, because even in BF1 I have to keep reminding the team that Q exists, but it NEVER actually spots them. Having to change out to the scope as recon is sloppy, and the minimap is near worthless because enemies shooting nearby don't ever seem to show.
    -The players are braindead as always when it comes to flanking out of a trapped spawn, but the map designs lead to a lot of trapped spawns with no possible way out. Al Sudan and Marita are 2 prime examples of this.
    -Firestorm took 8 minutes to find a squad, followed by 20 minutes of running around a map with only 20 players doing nothing until the very end. Pointless.
    -Riddled with ****ing microtransations and garish cosmetics.
    -Nobody communicates.
    -The multiplayer screen is even more stripped down, give it a few more years and server browser will be done away with. They're trying hard not to let you see what servers you might want, pushing quickplay where you end up in an empty game most of the time.

If I had actually paid cash for this game in particular instead of Origin Access, I would be furious.

Ah some of the medics smgs are lethal unless you're just not a fan in general?

Spotting works great if you throw up flare gun.

Matchmaking not great, dont think there's a solution for braindead players unless you land a decent squad!

Firestorm, it's massively neglected by the devs at the mo, they did drop a ton of fixes
    with 4.6 but nothing really for Firestorm.
    https://trello.com/b/yT9nj2yn/battlefield-v-quality-of-life-tracker

-They're actually awful at mtx / store.

Operation metro remake will likely be out next thursday..

The Pacific hopefully end of Oct/Start of November is there last year chance to redeem the game!

I must be the only person in this thread that still likes this game, it has its flaws but it's still keeping me entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

I must be the only person in this thread that still likes this game, it has its flaws but it's still keeping me entertained.

na your not i still play every day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I personally really enjoy it but it's the constant missteps from Dice that frustrate me about it.
    The service model they've 'implemented' has been a disaster. They should have just done it like BF1.

• Advertisement

It's the fastest I've got bored with a Battlefield title. Played for a few weeks and even did some of the random trophies to keep playing it but it just feels more repetitive than others or something, with the exception of vehicle play which I personally found more enjoyable.

Looking forward to see what they do with the "Pacific" content. Would be happy if it was essentially a "remake" of BF1943. Don't **** up Wake Island please.

Will the newest maps be brought out on Conquest and breakthrough like Al Sundan eventually was?

Will the newest maps be brought out on Conquest and breakthrough like Al Sundan eventually was?

Don't think Lofoten or Provence will as they're too small, but Operation Metro out today should be..

https://youtu.be/tRxUXoVNcK0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can't wait to give Metro a shot.
    Played it so much on BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Played metro last night on BF4 in the process of figuring out what I thought made those games better. Will be nice to compare with BFV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Played a conquest game there.
    It's pretty frantic action!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Played it last night on BF4 in the process of figuring out what I thought made those games better. Will be nice to compare with BFV.

I'm still convinced it is the amount of stuff going on on the screen coupled with the time from Spawn to death that just make me lose interest.

In BF3/4 there was a reason to go back to the base spawn. Grab a tank, an APC, a copper. Then you had this quiet period as you drove/flew or ran towards the battle.

The fighting was hectic but it felt like a firefight you could escape from and battles felt epic.

This clip for example shows so nice lulls in the fighting. That makes the fights more impactful. The battle with the tank is madness but then it calms down.

In BFV. It is just mayhem non stop, stuff blowing up everywhere, camera shaking, smoke everywhere. people running all over the place. There is so much going on on the screen, but so little actualy happening in the game. Bar just sprinting shooting one or two people and getting shot.

I'm still convinced it is the amount of stuff going on on the screen coupled with the time from Spawn to death that just make me lose interest.

In BF3/4 there was a reason to go back to the base spawn. Grab a tank, an APC, a copper. Then you had this quiet period as you drove/flew or ran towards the battle.

The fighting was hectic but it felt like a firefight you could escape from and battles felt epic.

This clip for example shows so nice lulls in the fighting. That makes the fights more impactful. The battle with the tank is madness but then it calms down.

In BFV. It is just mayhem non stop, stuff blowing up everywhere, camera shaking, smoke everywhere. people running all over the place. There is so much going on on the screen, but so little actualy happening in the game. Bar just sprinting shooting one or two people and getting shot.

The things you're complaining about are things I like about the game, different strokes I suppose. Conquest offers exactly what you're looking for with the bigger maps, the battle constantly moving and different flags becoming the focus. Often have a quiet few minutes driving a tank back to spawn to resupply it as well not that I'm looking for that though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I see BFV is now on origin access Basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The things you're complaining about are things I like about the game, different strokes I suppose. Conquest offers exactly what you're looking for with the bigger maps, the battle constantly moving and different flags becoming the focus. Often have a quiet few minutes driving a tank back to spawn to resupply it as well not that I'm looking for that though.

Even in conquest, you spawn on your squad over and over again, so you are always back in the action. It is pointless to go back to the base spawn because there is nothing there. BF4 had a spawn base full of tanks, choppers, APCs, Quads, Jeeps etc. In BFV the tanks and planes spawn from the menu. The only thing at the base will be the little track bike thing and an armoured carrier that no one wants to use as your gunner is a sitting duck. So everyone spawns in the little circle of action.

The action just stops having an impact if it is always there. It's kinda like a horror film. It is way scarier if you don't see the killer/monster until near the end. If he pops up every 30 seconds and kills 40 people the impact is lost much faster.

2 hours into a game I've a pain in my head from all the camera shaking, and it's the 178 time I've been shot so dying has little to no point anymore.

Advertisement