Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoveling the driveway

• 02-03-2018 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I’m going a bit stir crazy with the weather and looking out the window a lot.

There’s a big bunch of neighbours everyday shoveling the driveways.
    Then it snows on it then they do it again. Now they have banded together and are shoveling the road.

They have a big giant pile of snow sitting up against a wall.

Is there some legal reason for this or have they just all got bored?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Beats starting another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Maybe they are just decent neighbours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    I’m going a bit stir crazy with the weather and looking out the window a lot.

There’s a big bunch of neighbours everyday shoveling the driveways.
    Then it snows on it then they do it again. Now they have banded together and are shoveling the road.

They have a big giant pile of snow sitting up against a wall.

Is there some legal reason for this or have they just all got bored?

Community spirit maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

paulbok wrote: »
    Maybe they are just decent neighbours?

But what’s it all for? Snow is grand to walk on its the ice that’ll get you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Compacted snow turns to ice though.

May seem futile when more flakes arrive on what you have cleared, but get rid of it at intervals and you'll be laughing once the thaw starts.

I can see what they are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Live in a townhouse so cleared around the front. No driveway. Did the neighbour's house as well as her husband is snowed in at work somewhere.

The snow piles up surprisingly high against the door and front of the house so didn't want it to melt there. Also gets rid of the compacted snow on the path outside so somebody doesn't go on their hole.

To be fair, it's actually great to go out in the fresh air and do a physical task after working at home on a laptop for three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

From my many years of working abroad because I din't want to be a drain on society :D:I gained much experience in shoveling feckin snow.

The more frequently you do it the easier it is as the snow doesn't form a layer of ice at the bottom.

Also it's the right thing to do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

A comment I saw from a Canadian. "Anyone who complains about me shoveling three inches of snow off my driveway while it is still snowing has never had to shovel 12 inches of snow off their driveway". The idea being that if you do it regularly it's easier overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mvt wrote: »
    From my many years of working abroad because I din't want to be a drain on society :D:I gained much experience in shoveling feckin snow.

The more frequently you do it the easier it is as the snow doesn't form a layer of ice at the bottom.

Also it's the right thing to do :rolleyes:

The snow at the top is colder than the snow at the bottom. So if you leave it alone there will be no layer of ice at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you don't clear the way in front of your house here and someone slips then you are liable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Shovelled the first lot off before it got trod on. Salted using couple of handfuls budget dishwasher salt I got 2kg for a euro in discount store stops any light falls settling.
    Then just use a yard brush each morning before anyone packs it down by walking on it. takes 5 minutes and salt again.  
    way, way easier than trying to clear days of compacted ice than doesn't thaw for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Community spirit at work. Maybe give them a hand, rather than watching from the window.

I used my leaf blower here, to clear the paths between showers. It did a great job and all s clear and safe at the moment.

jester77 wrote: »
    If you don't clear the way in front of your house here and someone slips then you are liable

In Ireland, they probably would try and sue you, if they slipped as a result of your cleared snow.

:(

But what’s it all for? Snow is grand to walk on its the ice that’ll get you

Once it's walked on it compacts quickly, becomes slippery, ices up and takes longer to clear after the thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭go4it

in most continental europe countries it's a legal requirement that people and businesses clear up the pathways and walking sidewalks in front of their premises /houses
    And yes, it helps big time to do it more frequently, in shallow layers , instead of a 10 inch layer...
    Just pretend you're in gym and workout your body.

Since Ireland IS different, and in couple of days the rain will do the job for you, could stay inside and look at the old people chancing their hips /limbs on a slippery surface in the way to daily milk/ bread

go4it wrote: »
    in most continental europe countries it's a legal requirement that people and businesses clear up the pathways and walking sidewalks in front of their premises /houses
    And yes, it helps big time to do it more frequently, in shallow layers , instead of a 10 inch layer...
    Just pretend you're in gym and workout your body.

Since Ireland IS different, and in couple of days the rain will do the job for you, could stay inside and look at the old people chancing their hips /limbs on a slippery surface in the way to daily milk/ bread

Do you really know the law about this in all those countries?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    In Ireland, they probably would try and sue you, if they slipped as a result of your cleared snow.

:(

Neither is true. They could try to sue but that ship sailed years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Don't have a proper snow shovel, or a leaf blower. I do have a power washer though. That'd clear off the paths nice and quick.

The snow at the top is colder than the snow at the bottom. So if you leave it alone there will be no layer of ice at the bottom.

If you live in a housing estate like the OP its most probable that folk are trying to get past his house thereby compacking the snow.

It's why they are called foot paths,

pretty poor not to do it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I went out to do it just see what the fuss was. Took about half an hour with a spade.
    Snow has started belting down now again. Seems they are doing it so the elderly can get up and down which is fair enough. I’ll keep on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

https://www.test.de/Winterdienst-Wann-Mieter-und-Eigentuemer-Schnee-schippen-muessen-4780083-0/

Patww79 wrote: »

certainty glad we're not neighbours,are you for real? Fools?

what a poor post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cardiologists recommend that any over over 55 who is not it A1 perfect health should take caution with the aul shoveling.
    The cold air, layered clothes, morning/early afternoon biorhythms, and strenuous chest/arm based activity, are the perfect ingredients for heart attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Your neighbors are obviously bored OP.

It's a waste of time, the snow will be gone in a couple of hours once the thaw sets in and we get the forecasted rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

cleared the 6 inches off my drive yesterday... figured it'd be easier to do it each day than try to cleared 3 days of compacted ice tomorrow

Well I think Jester was referring to where he lives/is from.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Well I think Jester was referring to where he lives/is from.

Granted, but still not relevant to here.

• Advertisement

I meant in the context of doing so, or not doing so, here in Ireland.

If you live in a housing estate like the OP its most probable that folk are trying to get past his house thereby compacking the snow.

I'm in an estate. I just tested the snow with a short walk. It is very safe to walk on the powdery snow. And there is any amount of it untouched, including on the road, with no cars moving. It would be much more dangerous to expose the footpath to the risk of freezing into slippery ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

I went out to do it just see what the fuss was. Took about half an hour with a spade.
    Snow has started belting down now again. Seems they are doing it so the elderly can get up and down which is fair enough. I’ll keep on top of it.

I, for one don’t believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jester77 is in Hamburg, i.e. the 'here' he refers to is Germany, where it definitely is true. You don't necessarily have to do it yourself though, you or your landlord can sign up to a Schneeraumdienst who will do it for you for a small annual fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

As an oul fella once told me "the heat is in the work". Always found on cold days if you walk the dog or go outside and do something then the house feels extra warm when you go in.

I'm in an estate. I just tested the snow with a short walk. It is very safe to walk on the powdery snow. And there is any amount of it untouched, including on the road, with no cars moving. It would be much more dangerous to expose the footpath to the risk of freezing into slippery ice.

sorry, forgot to add to put rock salt down although even without it a cleared footpath shouldn't freeze.

Regardless it's still the right thing to do,we have different views on how a society works.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    I, for one don’t believe you.

Why? It’d be an odd thing to lie about.

I could have invented a story where I saved a cat from a burning building or something. But instead you think I invented an elaborate lie about shoveling snow?

You should probably try get out abit yourself.
    I’ll probably walk the dog later the kids are bored of snow and won’t go out.

sorry, forgot to add to put rock salt down although even without it a cleared footpath shouldn't freeze.

Regardless it's still the right thing to do,we have different views on how a society works.

It would be totally pointless where I am. There was just one set of footprints all along the road. It will thaw naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

People are walking in the middle of the road here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I shovelled the driveway every day since Wednesday and the road too, for numerous reasons:

1. It's been easier to shovel bit by bit rather than do it all in one go
    2. As soon as cars drive over and it compacts its a ball breaker to shovel up
    3. It gets me out of this focking house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I bought that stuff for keeping path ice free a few year ago.
    Will it work? This is exciting!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    I shovelled the driveway every day since Wednesday and the road too, for numerous reasons:

1. It's been easier to shovel bit by bit rather than do it all in one go
    2. As soon as cars drive over and it compacts its a ball breaker to shovel up
    3. It gets me out of this focking house

Where did you put all the snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where did you put all the snow?
    On the front garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Live in a townhouse so cleared around the front. No driveway. Did the neighbour's house as well as her husband is snowed in at work somewhere.

The snow piles up surprisingly high against the door and front of the house so didn't want it to melt there. Also gets rid of the compacted snow on the path outside so somebody doesn't go on their hole.

To be fair, it's actually great to go out in the fresh air and do a physical task after working at home on a laptop for three days.

My husband is working from home since Wednesday. I thought this was great but he hasn't left the laptop once from 9am to 6pm each day. He's gone to the shop now and then he'll be straight back to it :( I've been out making snowmen and pulling the kids up and down hills on their sleds every day and he's missed it all.

Wish we had a power cut for an hour :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought about doing it, mostly because I am bored, but after seeing some other cleared areas which were lethally slippy I figure it is easier for people to walk on the soft snow. When it starts to harden into pure ice I'll have a go clearing it.

It’s covered with snow again. Load of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I remember in 2010 I think it was the last big freeze seeing in pappers not to clear the path as if someone fell you'd be
    Liable the issue being if they fall and it's unclear ice it's act of nature or corpos issue but if you clear it's your fault it's not 100% ice free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Not really. It's been explained multiple times in this thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I was out earlier watching people shoveling while it was still snowing. You'd wonder that the mindset is there at all.

I did mine today wished I started Wednesday lot easier to clear 3 smaller amounts then all the built up snow today shovelling 3 feet deep

Here we go wrote: »
    I did mine today wished I started Wednesday lot easier to clear 3 smaller amounts then all the built up snow today shovelling 3 feet deep

All you needed was a path a few feet wide. The rest will melt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement