Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoveling the driveway

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Here we go wrote: »
    I remember in 2010 I think it was the last big freeze seeing in pappers not to clear the path as if someone fell you'd be
    Liable the issue being if they fall and it's unclear ice it's act of nature or corpos issue but if you clear it's your fault it's not 100% ice free

It was then made quite clear that you would not be liable at all.

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    It’s covered with snow again. Load of ****e.

That's how you clear snow - do it after each downpour. Much easier in the long run and it does compact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Of course it will but I'd like to be able to move about safely before Monday. I have a clear path to the garage for the regular trips to bring fuel in - clear and dry because I cleared it regularly for the past three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    I’m going a bit stir crazy with the weather and looking out the window a lot.

There’s a big bunch of neighbours everyday shoveling the driveways.
    Then it snows on it then they do it again. Now they have banded together and are shoveling the road.

They have a big giant pile of snow sitting up against a wall.

Is there some legal reason for this or have they just all got bored?

Get out and clear your own driveway, then you will keep up with the neighbours and will stop you from going a bit crazy

Sure it's a bit of craic with the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

for some peace and quiet away from the kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I've been doing regularly. Also been clearing the snow of the car despite having no intention what so ever to drive in this.

Simple reason why. If I have to get a sick child to a doctor or some other emergency or unforeseen reason, it will be a bit late to start doing it then.

Be prepared, dib, dib, dib;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Where did you put all the snow?

I filled the garden waste bin and the recycling bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Everyone should shovel the footpath outside their house. It means today people can push buggies to crèches, people can walk to the bus stop in work clothes, old people can attempt to walk to shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

You can tell a lot about a person by their attitude to clearing snow. Some proper mé féiners and just plain lazy people on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You can tell a lot about a person by their attitude to clearing snow. Some proper mé féiners and just plain lazy people on here.

They're less selfish than the people who went out to clear out the shops. Nobody bothered clearing the snow where I am because there was no need. There was no need for most of the panic buying either.

jester77 wrote: »
    If you don't clear the way in front of your house here and someone slips then you are liable

Not true in Ireland, unfortunately. Would be great of it were - all the layabouts, mé féiners and dregs would be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

topper75 wrote: »
    Compacted snow turns to ice though.

May seem futile when more flakes arrive on what you have cleared, but get rid of it at intervals and you'll be laughing once the thaw starts.

I can see what they are at.

Advice I received from a Nordic folk once. Clear away deep snow around your car and driveway before it becomes compacted into a mini-mountain of ice. Then you're in the 'sheeta'!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

They're less selfish than the people who went out to clear out the shops. Nobody bothered clearing the snow where I am because there was no need. There was no need for most of the panic buying either.

That's a pointless connection you made there.
    What has that got to do with maintaining your home / area?

no.8 wrote: »
    That's a pointless connection you made there.
    What has that got to do with maintaining your home / area?

The people who clear snow are the types who like to be organised. They would also be the ones off to the shops for ten loaves, because they like to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Here we go wrote: »
    I remember in 2010 I think it was the last big freeze seeing in pappers not to clear the path as if someone fell you'd be
    Liable the issue being if they fall and it's unclear ice it's act of nature or corpos issue but if you clear it's your fault it's not 100% ice free

That is completely wrong.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I didn’t clear mine. I didn’t need the car and I don’t think I own a shovel. It was 90% gone by this morning anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What a load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Alun wrote: »
    What a load of bollox.

May not be bollox if you are over 60 & have high blood pressure:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is completely wrong.

Even though may have been untrue, there was still report and speculation, that you could have been held liable if someone did fell. The same as people said at the weekend, and during storm Ophelia, if you drive during a status red, and have and accident, that you are uninsured, which is also unture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Even though may have been untrue, there was still report and speculation, that you could have been held liable if someone did fell. The same as people said at the weekend, and during storm Ophelia, if you drive during a status red, and have and accident, that you are uninsured, which is also unture.

was the one about the dogs dying from eating the grit untrue also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

May not be bollox if you are over 60 & have high blood pressure:o
    Well, the article suggested that anyone over the age of 55 shouldn't attempt it, which most certainly is bollox. Perhaps if you're an overweight 55 year old who never exercises and lives off a diet of crisps and beer, yes, but that's not everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I didn't lift a finger to clear my driveway and now it's clear. Sorted.

Well, the article suggested that anyone over the age of 55 shouldn't attempt it, which most certainly is bollox. Perhaps if you're an overweight 55 year old who never exercises and lives off a diet of crisps and beer, yes, but that's not everybody.

Ah, an expert.
    More than 11,500 people suffer a heart attack after shoveling snow each year, a New Jersey hospital says.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I didn't lift a finger to clear my driveway and now it's clear. Sorted.

Good neighbours maybe? ðŸ˜

If it melted itself, fair enough. But today I’ve seen plenty of people walking buggies having to walk on the road instead as someone wouldn’t/couldn’t clear their front path. As it’s now an difficult journey through a mix of hard ice and wet slush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I don't drive just wait for rain.

donaghs wrote: »
    Good neighbours maybe?

If it melted itself, fair enough. But today I’ve seen plenty of people walking buggies having to walk on the road instead as someone wouldn’t/couldn’t clear their front path. As it’s now an difficult journey through a mix of hard ice and wet slush.

No footpath. I did salt the road near my house after hearing a car fail to get up it and have to back down.

There are still mounds of dirty snow along the walls in the shop carparks in Dundalk and Newry. Days after it has disappeared naturally. I think in general it is best to leave it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I am 67 and I shovelled snow off the footpaths and roads for about three hours.
    Others also did it. We left about an eighteen inch wide track which was enough.
    One guy had to get his car out the next morning so we dug it out.
    Lazy people will be lazy.

There are still mounds of dirty snow along the walls in the shop carparks in Dundalk and Newry. Days after it has disappeared naturally. I think in general it is best to leave it alone.

Not much good leaving it to melt naturally if you have to remain inaccessible for an extra three days as a result.

Why am I worse?
    I have the time and a very good snow shovel. I could move loads of snow quickly.
    The house with the car snowed in - it was a new build, and I doubt they had yet accumulated the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Not much good leaving it to melt naturally if you have to remain inaccessible for an extra three days as a result.

They've nothing too pressing to leave the house for I'd wager.

I know I had.

• Advertisement

Only a business trip.

Don't get the over 55s thing. It's not like your shoveling gravel.

Don't get the over 55s thing. It's not like your shoveling gravel.

Pay no attention, it was just some know nothing cardiologist spouting off because he likes the sound of his own voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

cnocbui wrote: »
    Pay no attention, it was just some know nothing cardiologist spouting off because he likes the sound of his own voice.
    Tbh apparently it is not reccommended for older people who are not aerobicly fit or anyone with a heart condition .

Somebody posted stats earlier in the thread relating to the NY NJ area where something like 11000 people have heart attacks shoveling snow each winter.

It's something they might have to do every morning for a couple of months, not just a couple of days like here.

Its probably there, because it was shovelled there. Probably to allow access on a path or road. All the big shopping centres, have ugly piles of dirty snow, but it was put there to allow people in. Probably best not to just leave it alone (excluding idiots who clear their own driveway, but shovel their snow to block the footpath, meaning the pilled up snow is still blocking the footpath days after it has melted elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I was in bits after shovelling our driveway. It felt like I'd been placed inside a bodybag, and that bodybag was then beaten with pipes for about an hour. Several different parts of me ached for three or four days afterwards, particularly my arm and shoulder areas.

I think it's because I wasn't dumping the snow by flipping the shovel and letting it slide off; I was sort of popping the shovel up and throwing the snow off it, and it takes it toll on your arms when you're not a regular gym goer.

Worth it though; not because I give a f*ck about getting the car out, or my neighbours' safety when walking past our house. It's really because our driveway was a lot clearer than everyone else's and it was refreshing to know I did it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement