Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland has lost the run of itself.

• 02-03-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are many areas in the east/south that have to deal with very serious and severe weather conditions but there are other places that have zero snow and nothing more than a strong cold wind yet shops/businesses are closed, schools are closed, public transport is stopped and no one is leaving their homes...why????

I live in letterkenny, we have had zero snow yet the town is deserted. shops schools and even churches are closed for absolutely no reason.

Why cant local business owners, school principals make their own decisions to close or open? 3 weeks ago we had a lot of snow, road conditions were poor and dangerous when you went off the main roads, yet all schools including rural ones remained open, businesses remained open, people made their way to work regardless yet today on a normal cold winters day with no frost or ice on the roads no one is at work? It doesn't make any sense.

I was in Aldi yesterday at 1:10pm and the place was the busiest I have ever seen it. The car park was full and cars were parking out on the main road which I have never seen before. I went into the shop and they were playing an announcement over the tannoy system advising shoppers to make their way to the tills as soon as possible as the shop was closing shortly. This message played over the speakers every few minutes, it was like Armageddon with people grabbing food and running around like headless chickens.

We really have lost the run of ourselves, we need, as a nation to cop the fúck on and quit falling to pieces as soon as there is any sort of weather alert and do as we always have done...carry on as best we can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's embarrassing the whole country has to go on lock down over snow or high winds for 3-4 days ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I know there are many areas in the east/south that have to deal with very serious and severe weather conditions but there are other places that have zero snow and nothing more than a strong cold wind yet shops/businesses are closed, schools are closed, public transport is stopped and no one is leaving their homes...why????

I live in letterkenny, we have had zero snow yet the town is deserted. shops schools and even churches are closed for absolutely no reason.

Why cant local business owners, school principals make their own decisions to close or open? 3 weeks ago we had a lot of snow, road conditions were poor and dangerous when you went off the main roads, yet all schools including rural ones remained open, businesses remained open, people made their way to work regardless yet today on a normal cold winters day with no frost or ice on the roads no one is at work? It doesn't make any sense.

I was in Aldi yesterday at 1:10pm and the place was the busiest I have ever seen it. The car park was full and cars were parking out on the main road which I have never seen before. I went into the shop and they were playing an announcement over the tannoy system advising shoppers to make their way to the tills as soon as possible as the shop was closing shortly. This message played over the speakers every few minutes, it was like Armageddon with people grabbing food and running around like headless chickens.

We really have lost the run of ourselves, we need, as a nation to cop the fúck on and quit falling to pieces as soon as there is any sort of weather alert and do as we always have done...carry on as best we can.

You've obviously not bothered to read the weather forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I know, can't even get for a pint. :rolleyes:

28424726_1712174295515192_3625225499999401008_o.jpg?oh=dc3db64750ea6180a271e6e3b252069a&oe=5B0EF4B0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You've obviously not bothered to read the weather forum!

I have read it over the last few days but at the moment there are simply too many threads to keep track of.

I know there is severe weather in many counties areas and I have already stated that.

My point is that there has to be some local autonomy, local authorities, managers, business owners, school principals etc etc need to be allowed to make their own decision.

A red weather warning shouldn't be an automatic shut down of the entire country, people should be allowed to use common sense and realise that while the severe weather is fairly widespread it does NOT effect everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

And probably because if it was left to business owners to decide to open, they would all open and expect staff to travel all over the country in dangerous conditions that most of them probably won’t have to deal with themselves.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Another thread on snow, or lack of snow.
    Could the mods just dump all these together into the 'Snow' forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

People need to travel to work/school. Just because there may be no snow there doesn't mean there's no snow where they live or along the way.

And probably because if it was left to business owners to decide to open, they would all open and expect staff to travel all over the country in dangerous conditions that most of them probably won’t have to deal with themselves.

Again common sense is required. If someone has to travel a long distance and the weather is severe in their area, they can hardly be expected to travel. The vast majority of employees live fairly local and there is no reason why they cant go into work.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Another thread on snow, or lack of snow.
    Could the mods just dump all these together into the 'Snow' forum.

Its not really about snow, its about the Irish people becoming idiots and losing their heads for absolutely no reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Does anyone think that God sent Storm Emma to Ireland because he got so angry at pubs being open this Good Friday. It all makes sense now doesn’t it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I know, can't even get for a pint. :rolleyes:

what,them little few flakes stopped ya from beer?
    Op is right we really have lost the run of ourselves.
    The men that died back in 1916 would be turning in their graves if they thought snow would stop an Irishman drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭the sheriff is HERE

Enjoy the easy life, it has been a nice and relaxing two days, its back to the rat race tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The Welsh open snooker tournament continued in Cardiff. Uninterrupted. Storm Emma came over from Wales. We can't even get into the local shop here, and the snow is melting in North Dublin. I am surprised no flights are operating out of the airport for the rest of the day, when they were getting away even at 5pm yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think the op just feels left out.

I'd post some snow to you only for the post office being CLOSED:D

Does anyone think that God sent Storm Emma to Ireland because he got so angry at pubs being open this Good Friday. It all makes sense now doesn’t it? ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that God sent Storm Emma to Ireland because he got so angry at pubs being open this Good Friday. It all makes sense now doesn’t it? ,

My cousin is a publican and he made that remark during the week (somewhat tongue-in-cheek)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In the UK, drivers spent the night in their cars in Scotland, and in the north of England on wednesday/thursday, passengers also spent the night on a train just outside of London last night, and thats just to name a few events.

Now imagine if any of that happened here, and there was no warning, there would be up roar. The government, and transport services were right to have done what they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

My cousin is a publican and he made that remark during the week (somewhat tongue-in-cheek)

Yet he'll be at Mass on Sunday. If you asked anyone leaving Mass on Sunday what they prayed to God for they'd look at you like you have two heads and think you were insane.
    Ask a Mormon the same question leaving church and you better be ready for a long conversation.
    Do people who go to church in Ireland actually believe in God or are they going there to get out of house, it's very weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Again common sense is required. If someone has to travel a long distance and the weather is severe in their area, they can hardly be expected to travel. The vast majority of employees live fairly local and there is no reason why they cant go into work.

Like the common sense that multiple people used last night by going out in their cars only to get stuck in snow drifts. People seem to be incapable of using common sense anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Again, common sense is the least common type of sense. Dangerous conditions are dangerous conditions, no matter where you live. People shouldn’t be expected to risk their lives just to get to work.

Obviously there are roles, such as the emergency services who have to risk their lives within their role, but they are trained to work in hazardous conditions. The vast majority of the population are not.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

We have 14 inches on the roads and drifts up to 3 feet on Kildare/Dublin border.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

bee06 wrote: »
    Like the common sense that multiple people used last night by going out in their cars only to get stuck in snow drifts. People seem to be incapable of using common sense anymore.

"No Blueshirt gonna tell ME when I can go outdoors" mentality :D

We have 14 inches on the roads and drifts up to 3 feet on Kildare/Dublin border.

Wow that's big!

Mine is 7.5 inches!

Yet he'll be at Mass on Sunday. If you asked anyone leaving Mass on Sunday what they prayed to God for they'd look at you like you have two heads and think you were insane.
    Ask a Mormon the same question leaving church and you better be ready for a long conversation.
    Do people who go to church in Ireland actually believe in God or are they going there to get out of house, it's very weird.

I'd say beer was less than a Punt a pint the last time he set foot in a church, but thanks for your assumptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm lighting up the barbie here in N. Louth.
    Anyone want a few sausages?

The last big freeze I had to drive around Ireland to attend calls, while my manager couldn't get out of his estate to go to the office.

Was told if I didn't like it I could always resign. Went out and the car got stuck in a drift just off the M9, they had to pay for the car to be recovered and for me to stay in a hotel for three days all for a free courtesy call to a customer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I presume it's more convenient and thorough to just issue a nationwide advisory than to try to gradate it.

Doesn't bother me personally if it leads to less carnage on the roads or personal accidents. It's just a few days of no shopping and work. Hardly the end of the world unless you're toiling in the outrage mines.

Speaking of which, looking at my social media, it's generally the same crowd bellyaching about our lack of preparation for rare weather events that protest at the drop of a hat about everything. So, in essence, demand that we spend a load of taxpayers money on something that happens about 3 times in 35 year period while violently opposing every cent of spend on principle.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We've enough snow threads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement