Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireback replacement limerick

• 02-03-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi to all on the snow covered day.

I'm looking for recommendation on a person/company that will replace a fireback in my fireplace.

and not only replace it but do a good tidy job.

as you can imagine kinda looking for it to be done sooner rather than later with this cold spell we are having at moment.

it disintegrated last night on us and unable to light fire till it's replaced.

any help or advice grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

would you consider installing a stove instead now that the fireback is gone???
    it would have to come out anyway if you were..
    if you do put in a new fireback, be sure not to light a fire for atleast a week to allow it some time to dry out..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

i'd definitely put in a stove, but higher powers prefer the open fire..

who am i to argue.

thanks for the advice, been quoted 450 euro to get it done, can't believe it's that much..

the search continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

i'd definitely put in a stove, but higher powers prefer the open fire..

who am i to argue.

thanks for the advice, been quoted 450 euro to get it done, can't believe it's that much..

the search continues.

450 is robbery!

A standard 16" fireback and cement shouldn't run over 100 quid. Charging another 350 to do a good, clean job is insanity in my opinion.

Meself and the auld lad fitted mine about 11 years ago. Think we bought everything in heiton buckley. It's a fairly standard DIY job. But that all depends on how easy it is to remove the existing surround and fireplace.

For 450 quid, I'd be expecting a small stove. Fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

yea i know it's robbery, didn't even have a witty comment when i heard the cost i was so shocked

just not in a position to take on the job myself.

the fireplace shouldn't need to be removed if you get a 50/50 fireback.

the surround is another matter.

going to ring around on Monday to see if i can get a better price

Advertisement